Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek digital WMV copy error/garbled - HELP!

• 03-12-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I got Star Trek on Bluray today, and it came with a digital copy intended for use with Windows Media Player. I installed it, sorted out the DRM stuff, but when I went to play it with Media Player, it gave me an error. Naturally I looked up the error code, but it was very general and of no help.

So I tried to play the file on VLC player. It managed to open it and start running it, but the picture was all messed up and there was no sound:

messedupf.jpg

My system is up to date with the latest codecs and drivers etc.. any idea what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Looks like you don't have the correct codec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

If the file is drm'ed, which it most likely is, then I doubt that vlc would be able to plat it, but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are you 100% sure this is legal digital copy, or is it some dodgy rip you got from a public tracker? Because if it is legal common sense would tell you to go to the company that provided it to you like Universal or who ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yes I have the correct codec, and yes it's a legal copy. It came right off a disc, so the file is not corrupt either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So you have to call the company that published the disc or open a support ticket on their website. Digital Copies are relatively new and I for one dont know **** about them.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    So you have to call the company that published the disc or open a support ticket on their website. Digital Copies are relatively new and I for one dont know **** about them.

It's basically just a DRM protected WMV file, copied from a DVD that came with the Blu Ray disc. Surely if my file is corrupt, the entire batch is - they print them 1000's at a time in the same factory. I can't see them recalling ever copy of the BluRay that came with this bonus DVD. I googled the error code and I'm almost certain the problem lies with Windows DRM, though no answers seems to exist out there (or more like hundreds do, but none work!)

Contact..publisher..report..problem..receive..answer..

It's basically just a DRM protected WMV file, copied from a DVD that came with the Blu Ray disc. Surely if my file is corrupt, the entire batch is - they print them 1000's at a time in the same factory. I can't see them recalling ever copy of the BluRay that came with this bonus DVD. I googled the error code and I'm almost certain the problem lies with Windows DRM, though no answers seems to exist out there (or more like hundreds do, but none work!)
    Many years ago I found some Limp Bizkit tracks in WMP that were DRMd. Never did figure out how to play them. Not that it was a big loss. It was my way or the highway and those songs didnt want to do it my way.

Anti wrote: »
    Contact..publisher..report..problem..receive..answer..

Yeah, but instead of adding my name to a waiting list god knows how long and receiving a "have you checked your codec" reply, I thought I'd check with the eggheads right here and see if this was an easily fixed common problem.

Is..that...so..hard..to...understand?

The man is wearing a choker so be nice if he cant speak succinctly!

As one of these would be eggheads im saying its new, its uncommon, and we aint know ****.

TimRussSpaceballs.jpg

You could try playing it in iTunes, which, lets face it, is DRM's bastard lovechild.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah, but instead of adding my name to a waiting list god knows how long and receiving a "have you checked your codec" reply, I thought I'd check with the eggheads right here and see if this was an easily fixed common problem.

Is..that...so..hard..to...understand?

No not at all, but when someone with over 10,000 posts who seems like he might have a clue what hes on about says something, its courtosy to pay heed.

amirite?

No not at all, but when someone with over 10,000 posts who seems like he might have a clue what hes on about says something, its courtosy to pay heed.

amirite?

So instead of persisting and waiting for more input I should feck off to tech support because someone with OVER 9000 posts says so?

Yeah...well... the guy with 18k says play nice!

No, what im sayign is chances you are not the only person with this problem, and no doubt they have a fix for this already.

What if he is? What if he's the last honest Computer Literate DVD purchaser in Europe?? Or at least the first one of that dying breed to purchase and run the digital copy of the new Star Trek.

>_>

<_<

No, what im sayign is chances you are not the only person with this problem, and no doubt they have a fix for this already.

Heh, that's exactly what I thought when I had my video card problem. Turns out I was the only one in the world with the problem and I never found a solution. I'm not holding out much hope TBH - I think technology has progressed to a stage where an infinite amount of things can go wrong for an infinite amount of reasons.

chin_grin wrote: »

Cheers for that man. I found another forum where somebody says the same thing (about deleting the contents of the DRM folder).. no joy though :(

Heh, that's exactly what I thought when I had my video card problem. Turns out I was the only one in the world with the problem and I never found a solution. I'm not holding out much hope TBH - I think technology has progressed to a stage where an infinite amount of things can go wrong for an infinite amount of reasons.
    Yeah...youd think that.

Wait till Quantum ****ing Computing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The mod says thats my job, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Curious to see how this gets fixed. I had a similar issue but it just played fine with Windows Media Player and hated other players. Decidedly inconvenient considering the fact that I'm kind of a Mac user at home :(

I might not have many posts, but my name is red... I'm not sure why that would count for anything, just saying is all.

Hey now, Anti started it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Sorry, just teasing a little :P

Advertisement