Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Translation

• 03-12-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi, I need to impress a friend with a letter. There are a few phrases that I need translated by 1 am tonight! It would mean a lot. If there is a more difficult way of translating these phrases, please do it that way — as in the fanciest Irish possible (with correct spelling and grammar of course!). If any other phrases come to mind that would sound really impressive in a letter (one about receiving a gift and why you got it), I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

1. My aunt and uncle promised me that if I could get over ninety-five per cent in the exam, then they would buy me the present that I had been wanting since the beginning of the year. Therefore, I worked really hard, and got the A grade. The amazing thing was that my teacher said she would never, ever, give over 90 in a test. But guess what? This time she did.

2. So now I have my new camera. It is one of those really big ones — the ones with the long lens and the big flash. All day yesterday, I was taking pictures of anything and anything, including my sisters and my relatives. To be honest, it was really expensive and I feel quite bad about it, especially in the recession. But my uncle has a big job as the manager of an international company. My aunt said that she would never fully understand why I like photographing so much.

3. As I said, my uncle works in a big company. He is generally quite nice, but that's only when I do well. If I get the result, he pretends to be really proud of me. But if I didn't, I'd be afraid he wouldn't be so nice.

4. My aunt is very fair, and she is very close to my mom, her sister. Without her, I do not know what we would do! It was her idea to get the camera, after she saw that it was quite old!

It's a fair bit I know -- but not for the fluent Irish speaker. It really, really would mean a lot to have it done within a hour or two.

Thanks a million,
    Ed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

Hi, I need to impress a friend with a letter. There are a few phrases that I need translated by 1 am tonight! It would mean a lot. If there is a more difficult way of translating these phrases, please do it that way — as in the fanciest Irish possible (with correct spelling and grammar of course!). If any other phrases come to mind that would sound really impressive in a letter (one about receiving a gift and why you got it), I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

1. My aunt and uncle promised me that if I could get over ninety-five per cent in the exam, then they would buy me the present that I had been wanting since the beginning of the year. Therefore, I worked really hard, and got the A grade. The amazing thing was that my teacher said she would never, ever, give over 90 in a test. But guess what? This time she did.

Gheall m’aintín agus m’uncail go bhfaighidís bronntanas a bhí uaim ó thús na bliana dom dá bhfaighinn níos mó ná nócha cúig faoin gcéad sa scrúdú. Mar sin, d’oibríos go dian agus fuaireas grád A. An rud ab iontaí ná go ndúirt mo mhúinteoir nach dtabharfadh sí riamh níos mó na nócha faoin gcéad in aon scrúdú. Ach samhlaigh! Rinne sí an t-am seo

2. So now I have my new camera. It is one of those really big ones — the ones with the long lens and the big flash. All day yesterday, I was taking pictures of anything and anything, including my sisters and my relatives. To be honest, it was really expensive and I feel quite bad about it, especially in the recession. But my uncle has a big job as the manager of an international company. My aunt said that she would never fully understand why I like photographing so much.

Anois mar sin, tá ceamara nua agam. Is ceann de na cinn sin ollmhóra é – na cinn leis na lionsaí fada agus an splanc mór. An lá ar fad inné, bhíos ag tógáint grianghraf de rud ar bith, mo dheirfiúracha agus mo mhuintir san áireamh. Le bheith macánta, bhí sé costasach go maith agus mothaím sách dona faoi, go háirithe sa chúlú eacnamaíochta seo. Ach tá post mór ag m’uncail mar bhainisteoir ar chomhlacht idirnáisiúnta. Dúirt m’aintín nach dtuigfeadh sí riamh i gceart an chúis go bhfuilim chomh tógtha sin le grianghrafadóireacht.

3. As I said, my uncle works in a big company. He is generally quite nice, but that's only when I do well. If I get the result, he pretends to be really proud of me. But if I didn't, I'd be afraid he wouldn't be so nice.

Mar a dúirt me, tá m’uncail ag obair i gcomhlacht mór. Go hiondúil, bíonn sé go deas ach sin díreach nuair a dhéanaim go maith. Má fhaighim an toradh, ligeann sé air go bhfuil sé an-bhródúil asam. Mura bhfaighinn, tá eagla orm nach mbeadh sé chomh deas sin

4. My aunt is very fair, and she is very close to my mom, her sister. Without her, I do not know what we would do! It was her idea to get the camera, after she saw that it was quite old!

Tá m’aintín an-chothram, agus tá sí an-mhór le mo mhaim, a deirfiúr. Gan í, n’fheadar cad a dhéanfaimis! Í siúd a smaoinigh ar an gceamara a fháil, tar éis di a fheiceáil go raibh sé ábhairín sean.

It's a fair bit I know -- but not for the fluent Irish speaker. It really, really would mean a lot to have it done within a hour or two.

Thanks a million,
    Ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I take it wasn't 95% in an Irish exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Bhí mé ag breathnú ar chartún ar maidin agus sé an ceacht inniu ná

Ná smaoinigh ar rud diúlach, smaoinigh ar rud dearfach!

Inniu Dé hAoine!

wooooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Poll Dubh wrote: »

Well an A for you for a valuable contribution.

Thar a bheith greannmhar, an mbeifeá-sa in ann é a dhéanamh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Ceilteach wrote: »
    Thar a bheith greannmhar, an mbeifeá-sa in ann é a dhéanamh?

I could have given it a blast but I'm afraid my efforts wouldn't have been fancy enough for the OP.

I could have given it a blast but I'm afraid my efforts wouldn't have been fancy enough for the OP.

B'fhearr dhuit mar sin gan a bheith ag magadh faoi / fúithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Ba chóir do/di a b(h)éal a dhúnadh........

Advertisement