Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack in boiler flue,who should fix it?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I found out today that we have a crack or a loose joint in our boiler flue.The flue is approximately 16 feet long.We only moved into this apartment 18 months ago(we own it).The management company say they have nothing to do with it and we should contact the company that installed the boiler.Will we have to pay for this to be repaired or is the company that put it in liable? I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys could give me.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was it newly built when you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Victor wrote: »
    Was it newly built when you moved in?
    Yes it was.These apartments are about 3 years old.We moved in a year and a half ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

you own it - you pay for it. You may have Homebond insurance but the builder is only liable for major defects in the 1st 6 months and 1st 18months for minor defects during the 1st sale.
    Do you get a minor survey or major survey done prior to purchase? If major you may be able to look at the surveyors insurance.

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    you own it - you pay for it. You may have Homebond insurance but the builder is only liable for major defects in the 1st 6 months and 1st 18months for minor defects during the 1st sale.
    Do you get a minor survey or major survey done prior to purchase? If major you may be able to look at the surveyors insurance.
    We bought this place through the Dublin city council affordable housing programme so i suppose technically we're the second owners.We didn't have a survey done.There was no problem until 4 weeks ago so a survey would have hardly have showed up anything.We,bought the place 18 months ago and while it we own it I hardly think it's right that there's potentially a very expensive problem with the Flue after just one an a half years use.The people who installed it must offer some kind of guarentee for a resonable lenght of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

morally you'd think so but technically I'd say you've no chance. The answers back would be who was using it, what was put up it etc...etc..etc.... Good luck anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the builder and find out who did the installation. Ask if they are willing to fix it.

How is the problem manifesting itself?

Victor wrote: »
    Talk to the builder and find out who did the installation. Ask if they are willing to fix it.

How is the problem manifesting itself?
    Anytime we switch on the gas boiler their is fumes in the apartment.

Advertisement