Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SECOND Tekken 6 BR Tournament, Ireland

Options
  • 03-12-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Our second monthly tournament in Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion is coming!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

Date: 12th or 19th December, 2009; time 15:00 SHARP!
    Place: XGC, Dublin
    Game: Ps3 version of Tekken 6 BR
    Entrance fee: 10 euro

Registrations will begin at 14:00 untill the start of the tournament; casual play possible. Format will be the same, depending on the number of participants. So do not hesitate and join now!

Changes if possible: 3rd place to get the entrance fee back, 1st and 2nd place will split the winning money 75% and 25%.

List at the moment:

1) Firestarter
    2) Mantys (org)
    3) RedDragonJack
    4) Ramza126
    5) Newaglish (+++)
    6) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Count me in for the 12th - not sure if I can make the 19th!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just a heads-up, I heard Dragonslayers up North might have a tourney on the same date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just a heads-up, I heard Dragonslayers up North might have a tourney on the same date.

Which date? The 12th or the 19th?

Well, nothing concrete atm; Mr Kyle should be posting up about it within a day or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dunno if I can make the 12th :P

(prays for 19th)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I might be able to make the 12th.
    Don't know about the 19th, but I doubt it...

List at the moment:

1) Firestarter
    2) Mantys (org)
    3) RedDragonJack
    4) Ramza126
    5) Newaglish (+++)
    6) DarkTalant
    7) Triademan [K.O.I.F.]
    8) Kuroro <T.M.D.>
    9) ...

The tournament will be on 12th, because of the holidays. I promise that the third one will be in late January.

Rules change:
    - counter-picking; players can ask me to choose their character secretly to avoid being counter-picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

If i'm not working i'll go. So put me down as a maybe

List at the moment:

1) Newaglish (+++)
    2) DarkTalant
    3) Triademan [K.O.I.F.] (+++)
    4) Kuroro <T.M.D.> (+++)
    5) The Domonator
    6) Xinkai (%)
    7) God-fisted Kaz (+++)
    8) ...

Guys, I now believe, that this tournament is not worth it at the moment. I'm busy with my work now, so I can't organize tournaments anymore.
    If The Dmonator wants to do it as before, that'll be cool. I think the scene is not big enough to consider it serious. Seriously, 6-7 people...compared to SF4 tournaments...crybaby.gif
    Sorry for that.
    I stopped playing now, I'll play again next year maybe.
    SO UNLESS DOMINIC OR SOMEBODY ELSE ORGANIZES THIS ONE THIS SATURDAY, NEXT SATURDAY OR WHATEVER DATE, THIS TOURNAMENT IS CANCELLED!!!

• Advertisement

Don't forget that Dragonslayers is on the 12th as well.
    Maybe y'all should go up North ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd leave it til next year Mantys, there's another tournament on on the same day, and it's so soon after the last, and SF4 was last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

mantys wrote: »
    Guys, I now believe, that this tournament is not worth it at the moment. I'm busy with my work now, so I can't organize tournaments anymore.
    If The Dmonator wants to do it as before, that'll be cool. I think the scene is not big enough to consider it serious. Seriously, 6-7 people...compared to SF4 tournaments...crybaby.gif
    Sorry for that.
    I stopped playing now, I'll play again next year maybe.
    SO UNLESS DOMINIC OR SOMEBODY ELSE ORGANIZES THIS ONE THIS SATURDAY, NEXT SATURDAY OR WHATEVER DATE, THIS TOURNAMENT IS CANCELLED!!!

Chap, while I can totally empathise with your work situation; do not give up on the tournaments just because of low numbers. The first tournament I ran in Belfast about four and a half years ago now had only two other participants. So don't let low numbers put you off. You're going to get out what you put in. Keep going man, it will work out.

@mr kyle: I know what you mean, but the community here is a bit ... strange, to be honest. It all depends on so many factors: work schedule, interest, skills, money...we have so many good players (I can count 8 now) and some players who know the game, but at the end of the day, people don't show up. If you have a lot of players you have better prize pot and it attracts people, but when you don't...

No sponsors at the moment... it would be really more attractive if I could give (at least!) a T-Shirt or a video game and a good money for the winner. But noooo... you know what I'm saying!? I understand that it's not about money, but at least you should get goodies and stuff.

mantys wrote: »
    @mr kyle: I know what you mean, but the community here is a bit ... strange, to be honest. It all depends on so many factors: work schedule, interest, skills, money...we have so many good players (I can count 8 now) and some players who know the game, but at the end of the day, people don't show up. If you have a lot of players you have better prize pot and it attracts people, but when you don't...

No sponsors at the moment... it would be really more attractive if I could give (at least!) a T-Shirt or a video game and a good money for the winner. But noooo... you know what I'm saying!? I understand that it's not about money, but at least you should get goodies and stuff.

If you stop running tournaments just because the turnouts are small to begin with then you'll never get bigger turnouts. You have to show that there is a scene being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

If you stop running tournaments just because the turnouts are small to begin with then you'll never get bigger turnouts. You have to show that there is a scene being built.

To be honest, it's easy to say that when every man and their dog plays Street Fighter. For other fighting games it's a LOT harder to get a good community going and regular attendees to events. Combining events 'could' work, but the whole time factor comes into it, and I'm not sure if it's really that feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Da Bounca wrote: »
    To be honest, it's easy to say that when every man and their dog plays Street Fighter. For other fighting games it's a LOT harder to get a good community going and regular attendees to events. Combining events 'could' work, but the whole time factor comes into it, and I'm not sure if it's really that feasible.
    Point still stands that the community wont grow if you stop doing tournaments. Also Chopper spent alot of time helping run the last Tekkan tournament.

As was said there was 2 people at the first SF tourny in Belfast, now look at them. You need to be positive and encouraging toward the tournaments / meetups if the scene is to grow at all. I wish I was interested in Tekkan personally so I could fill another seat.

There isn't the same kind of player base for Tekken, so a direct comparison to SF just doesn't work. SF has had, and probably always will have a huge following. The fact that the first tourney in Belfast, however long ago that was only had 2 players is probably down to advertising and the fact that it was among the first events of it's type to ever be run in Ireland, so the whole gaming stigma was probably still attached to it.

Yes, the community won't grow if the tournaments stop, but without more players to go to the tournaments there's no point running them. It's a catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Tekken less popular? Hasnt tekken been the main Fighting game for the past 10 years? Seems I'm far more likely to find a place with a tekken arcade cabinet then a street fighter one in the this country.

Its down to the fans/the community themselves imo. It took a hell of a lot of building up and spamming before a decent chunk of the Irish street fighter fans became aware of this place.

How many if the irish tekken fans are aware of these forums?

I'd hazard a guess that far more people play Tekken in this country than Street Fighter.
    Jim wrote: »
    Point still stands that the community wont grow if you stop doing tournaments. Also Chopper spent alot of time helping run the last Tekkan tournament.

As was said there was 2 people at the first SF tourny in Belfast, now look at them. You need to be positive and encouraging toward the tournaments / meetups if the scene is to grow at all. I wish I was interested in Tekkan personally so I could fill another seat.

I gave up my entire afternoon to help run a competition for a game I don't even play myself.
    There isn't the same kind of player base for Tekken, so a direct comparison to SF just doesn't work. SF has had, and probably always will have a huge following. The fact that the first tourney in Belfast, however long ago that was only had 2 players is probably down to advertising and the fact that it was among the first events of it's type to ever be run in Ireland, so the whole gaming stigma was probably still attached to it.

Yes, the community won't grow if the tournaments stop, but without more players to go to the tournaments there's no point running them. It's a catch 22.

There were eleven entrants into the last comp. That's not a bad start. Hell if you get ten or eleven again, just do a round robin league style event instead of a groups to knockout style.

Everyone gets a good few games and you keep your scene going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I was gonna post something to the effect of how I think Tekken is a LOT more popular than you're saying Dabounca, but I ended up getting hungry and walking away from the pc. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd also wager Tekken 6 is a more popular game but I suspect far more people play it causally than anything else.

The Street Fighter 4 scene was kinda lucky that while a good chunk of its players posted on boards, the XGC themselves ran in a SF IV tournament that allowed the boards community to meet up with non boards.ie members and allowed the two groups to meet.

We all want tekken to work.

I think the tekken community are not helping themselves by not posting here more. How many Irish casual Tekken players do you reckon might happen along into the forum and get involved if a Tekken thread caught their eye on the front page?

Lets not forget Boards has 200,000 registered users (admittedly, 199,000 of them are spambots).

We all want tekken to work.

I think the tekken community are not helping themselves by not posting here more. How many Irish casual Tekken players do you reckon might happen along into the forum and get involved if a Tekken thread caught their eye on the front page?

Lets not forget Boards has 200,000 registered users (admittedly, 199,000 of them are spambots).

Exactly, you're much more likely to have random people find active Tekken threads on boards than have random people find a thread about Irish Tekken in a sub-section of Tekken Zaibatsu.

Exactly, you're much more likely to have random people find active Tekken threads on boards than have random people find a thread about Irish Tekken in a sub-section of Tekken Zaibatsu.

It's how I got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

I wouldn't discount the random threads in the subforums of the bigger sites either, mind you. I mean, I wouldn't even be here if Google didn't link me up to some post Azza made about the lanparty tournament on I think it was Shoryuken forums or Neo Empire. Either that or I wandered into one of the subforums. Can't remember which but my point is that the big sites are a good place to advertise as well as just regular topics here on boards.

Cobelcog wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount the random threads in the subforums of the bigger sites either, mind you. I mean, I wouldn't even be here if Google didn't link me up to some post Azza made about the lanparty tournament on I think it was Shoryuken forums or Neo Empire. Either that or I wandered into one of the subforums. Can't remember which but my point is that the big sites are a good place to advertise as well as just regular topics here on boards.

Dude. You're hardly a casual SF player though :D

You're right though, you shouldn't discount ANY way to attract attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You're better off posting in as many places as possible - especially when it's free! boards.ie, ANY Tekken forum, Dedicated Fighting Game forums, eSports.ie, etc....EVERYWHERE!

Also, I can relate to doing tournaments...and doing ones with a low turnout. But it is a good thing to do - I wish I had the time myself to get them going again (someday!). Have done ones with low numbers but it is appreciated and I found it an enjoyable experience...in spite of all the things that can go wrong! It can take a bit of time pre-tournament with the promotion aspect but at least you have been offered help on the day.

I would definately encourage you to keep it going. I can't give you numbers with regards to how big the Tekken scene is but the only way to grow it is to have something active. The SF tournaments haven't been this big by chance. There was a lot of posting, casual meets and online activity. Then, as stated, the XGC ran tournaments....and then Azza took control (typical Dictator :p)

🤪

I would also like to remind Da Bounca that the SCIV scene wasn't exactly stagnant prior to SFIV's release.
    Though I guess inviting UgoIvy (a pro player) MIGHT have been OTT. Sorry about that...

• Advertisement

I think the SF playerbase is many times the size of the Tekken playerbase.

I don't want any of you to think that I wish for the Tekken scene to fail, I REALLY hope it takes off. I want for nothing more than a bustling fighting games community in Ireland, more than just one game.

I'd have to disagree with you kiki. I think the SC4 scene was stagnant. Good for a while, but less and less people showed up to the events. We needed more than a handful of players to have a tournament. UgoIvy is a beast, he came in 5th in Europe at the last France tournament I think. TheWitch wasn't far off his pace though, and I think Ugo's play only helped to keep the battles going for a little longer.

Advertisement