Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SECOND Tekken 6 BR Tournament, Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I agree, ye need to build some hype before ye put on tourneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I think we need to have regular casuals, like the sf players, before we host anymore tournaments.

That's probaly a good idea. I also think more chat is a good idea. I don't know if you guys all use another site but on Zaibatsu and here it seems like it goes for weeks between people saying stuff. If you were on one the sites, I would suggest here, then you can build the community and random people are more likely to pick up on threads through google. That's how I found the SF players and joined up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah honestly I think most of the stuff we've got going on is due to the discussion on this forum - if the only threads about SF4 were about the meetups (I know there've been a couple of Tekken threads, but not many), I doubt there'd be nearly as much interest from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

three players?

You guys need to post regularly if u want players. i posted a facebook event for you but y'all didnt update it.

when SF stuff is going up i post on facebook, capcom, eurogamers, srk, neo empire....

I wouldn't even be on this site if Azza hadn't done similar.
    you need to get yourself out there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, there were only 3 people there. Sucks most for mantys, since he put all the effort into organising it.

Well that really sucks, but as I said, I'm not a huge Tekken player and would never check Tekken Zaibatsu (I barely check SRK even). The easiest way to pick up casual players is boards.
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Well in fairness the last time he posted about it was two weeks ago... you gotta keep going with the effort for this stuff so people remember it. Hopefully next time goes better.

This was my problem. I could have made allowances if I remembered but I have played in 2 tournaments since the last update... I'm not super human :D
    I think we need to have regular casuals, like the sf players, before we host anymore tournaments.

Yup.

Someone from the Tekken community needs to man up a la chopper or Azza and take a bit of responsibility in making threads and pushing tournaments.

I would say even ropey, my and d'onions constant stream of videos with Irish players don't hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Someone from the Tekken community needs to man up a la chopper or Azza and take a bit of responsibility in making threads and pushing tournaments.

I would say even ropey, my and d'onions constant stream of videos with Irish players don't hurt either.

As I said to some of the lads the other day owwmykneecap is a bit of an unsung hero of our community. He posts about our events everywhere!

True that, my bad owweee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Thing is though as was said earlier in the thread the last we heard about the T6 tournament was in mid-december like 40+ days ago now sorry but i have trouble remembering what happened last week, the tournament needed to be advertised at least once every 2-3 days to keep people interested. As for numbers turning up being poor, we are all well aware that there was often demand for the T6 arcade machines in Quirkeys, so the next time Mantys wants to run a tournament, print out 10 flyers, the manager in Dr.Q's won't mind in the slightest sticking one to each machine. Same in ceneworld theres a nice Chinese lay behind the till she'll stick one up behind the counter if you ask her. One upstairs & downstairs in the XGC wouldn't go a miss, seeing as how we probably bring in the most cash per week for the XGC i'm sure they wuldn't have a problem either. Esports.ie helped with the BlazBlue tournament too, 2 dudes showed up saying they got the advert from there.

In the BB Thread on here AND facebook i was constantly checking for updates every 2 hours answering all questions. Whoever decides to run the next tournament should consider this too. I only found out recently i'm an admin on the FB page so if you want me, Sean, Terry or the other guy whom i cannot remember (Sorry pal) don't hesitate to ask us to advertise, theres 100+ members on FB some have to be interested in Tekken.

The way it is imo, We all EXPECT sf4 casuals every week cause it's what we've been doing since SF4 was released. We EXPECT an SF4 Ranbat every 6-8 weeks, & granted our numbers HAVE been increasing. I still plan to honor my BB ranbat 3 weeks after SF4 ranbats plan so then people will expect BB and will make the trip i hope.

What the tournament organisers need to do is set a date over a month in advance imo so they can book a day off work/free the few hours on that day, & keep it advertised & looking solid around the city. Azza has been doing a great job with SF4, I'd like to think in the week i had to advertise BB i did a good job, i mean 19 people in a week was fantastic for a game thats not even out yet! Foamy wants to try arrange something AFAIK. But Mantys i am not slamming you in any way shape or form, but you advertised T6 on boards.ie only & dropped off the face of the earth, the thread dropped, people forgot & only 2-3 turned up AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sabre0002

Xinkai wrote: »
    Esports.ie helped with the BlazBlue tournament too, 2 dudes showed up saying they got the advert from there.

\o/ And my day is made :D

Agree with the rest of the post too...Flyers definately needed - especially when there are machines used by your target audience down the road from where the tournament will be held. Ask Yreval very nicely for poster designs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

As I said to some of the lads the other day owwmykneecap is a bit of an unsung hero of our community. He posts about our events everywhere!

Cheque's in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think the tournaments should get a sticky once they are announced.

Definitely agree with Bush on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Even if it gets too crowded up there, you could merge those online player names into one thread.

Yeah I'll do that. Makes sense.

... just do me a favour and send me a pm if you think I'm missing one.

Bush80 wrote: »
    Even if it gets too crowded up there, you could merge those online player names into one thread.

Id rather avoid that as the last time I tried to merge two large threads round here I borked boards for about a week :D

Might be a good idea to edit the thread titles to have the dates in them Doom, if you're able to edit titles.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to edit the thread titles to have the dates in them Doom, if you're able to edit titles.

Yes I can, good idea, will do later as I heading out now to do rock star training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

The problem with quirkey's is the cabs don't have ports for pads and the sticks and buttons on the machines are in bad condition. They were in good condition when they came in, but people treat the machines badly and the staff don't fix them.

The problem with quirkey's is the cabs don't have ports for pads and the sticks and buttons on the machines are in bad condition. They were in good condition when they came in, but people treat the machines badly and the staff don't fix them.

So have casuals in XGC instead if you can't get them to fix the cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Xinkai wrote: »
    Thing is though as was said earlier in the thread the last we heard about the T6 tournament was in mid-december like 40+ days ago now sorry but i have trouble remembering what happened last week, the tournament needed to be advertised at least once every 2-3 days to keep people interested. As for numbers turning up being poor, we are all well aware that there was often demand for the T6 arcade machines in Quirkeys, so the next time Mantys wants to run a tournament, print out 10 flyers, the manager in Dr.Q's won't mind in the slightest sticking one to each machine. Same in ceneworld theres a nice Chinese lay behind the till she'll stick one up behind the counter if you ask her. One upstairs & downstairs in the XGC wouldn't go a miss, seeing as how we probably bring in the most cash per week for the XGC i'm sure they wuldn't have a problem either. Esports.ie helped with the BlazBlue tournament too, 2 dudes showed up saying they got the advert from there.

In the BB Thread on here AND facebook i was constantly checking for updates every 2 hours answering all questions. Whoever decides to run the next tournament should consider this too. I only found out recently i'm an admin on the FB page so if you want me, Sean, Terry or the other guy whom i cannot remember (Sorry pal) don't hesitate to ask us to advertise, theres 100+ members on FB some have to be interested in Tekken.

The way it is imo, We all EXPECT sf4 casuals every week cause it's what we've been doing since SF4 was released. We EXPECT an SF4 Ranbat every 6-8 weeks, & granted our numbers HAVE been increasing. I still plan to honor my BB ranbat 3 weeks after SF4 ranbats plan so then people will expect BB and will make the trip i hope.

What the tournament organisers need to do is set a date over a month in advance imo so they can book a day off work/free the few hours on that day, & keep it advertised & looking solid around the city. Azza has been doing a great job with SF4, I'd like to think in the week i had to advertise BB i did a good job, i mean 19 people in a week was fantastic for a game thats not even out yet! Foamy wants to try arrange something AFAIK. But Mantys i am not slamming you in any way shape or form, but you advertised T6 on boards.ie only & dropped off the face of the earth, the thread dropped, people forgot & only 2-3 turned up AFAIK.

woo more blazblue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

Yop Guys !

I am going to organise a tekken session next sat at my home, Parnell street. Si if any tekken player is interested, let me know. we ll try to do something.

Oh yeah 1 regarding tekken 6 tournaments, I will try to give a hand. But so far i was just wondering if there is still on boards.ie some players intersted in learning and playing t6.

So guys just post there and let me know.

TEST YOU WELL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Triademan wrote: »
    Yop Guys !

I am going to organise a tekken session next sat at my home, Parnell street. Si if any tekken player is interested, let me know. we ll try to do something.

Oh yeah 1 regarding tekken 6 tournaments, I will try to give a hand. But so far i was just wondering if there is still on boards.ie some players intersted in learning and playing t6.

Yes, I am one of those people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

Cool Ramza, Might interested for a session next week end ?

I d like organise a tekken tourney every month at XGC around the 15 of every month. I ll post details later.

People her just le me know if interested.

TEST YOU WELL ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Cool Ramza, Might interested for a session next week end ?

I d like organise a tekken tourney every month at XGC around the 15 of every month. I ll post details later.

People her just le me know if interested.

TEST YOU WELL ;)

Next week I will not be in XGC but I would be more than happy to play some tekken and get better whenever I am in Dublin next :)

Hey, Triademan, if I were you I'd organise some casual sessions in the XGC before you let people from the internet into your home, just so you know who'll be there. Your choice though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yop Guys !

I'm not into tekken but fair play man for trying to help the irish tekken scene, although maybe listen to dreddys advice there.

We all know tekken players are well dodgy mothertruckers.

Just to echo the lads here, you don't know who could be reading this.

While I'd trust all the regs here, you'd be better off meeting us some Sat in the XGC!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

I am not going to do anything for this "community" anymore. What pissed me off about that day was that people who promised to come didn't even bother to tell me they aren't coming. Anyway...
    I think I updated some info on tz, not so much on boards...so maybe that was the reason, but in my opinion, if somebody is interested in something they can check themselves and ask questions and so on.
    Good luck to Triademan, btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mantys dude, you should've done what I did before RanBat 8 -- post in SRK. Eventhubs.com edited their "weekly community events" post the very next day to show our tournament!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Believe me mantys, the tournament organiser has to keep bumping and reminding people all the way up to the event. Look at the online competition thread and see how many people forget to play their matches. It's tough work but has to be done (and one reason why eSports.ie doesn't do events at the moment - too little time!)

Don't know about promises to go to an event. That's why so many LANs charge in advance - either makes certain that people will attend or the cash goes into the prize pot / organisers pocket regardless...Promises count for nought unfortunately and you never know what may crop up. Yes, a notification would be nice but not always going to happen...

🤪

Advertisement