Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA gambling charges - change to T&C's

Options
  • 15-11-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

I checked my statement the other day and found out that MBNA is now charging for any betting or gambling transactions!.

I played the lotto on lotto.ie and every every transaction they are now charging 2.5 euros!.

I rang them and they said they changed their terms and conditions and sent a letter.

Am I the only dumb ass that did not get the letter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I do remember it being mentioned elsewhere, so obviously some people got the letter.

Mind you, I didn't get one - but it doesn't effect me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sold wrote: »
    I checked my statement the otherday and found out that MBNA is now charge for any betting or gambling transactions!.

I played the lotto on lotto.ie and every every transaction they are now charging 2.5 euros!.

I rang them and they said they changed their terms and conditions and sent a letter.

Am I the only dumb ass that did not get the letter?

I got the letter with the new T&C, never read it mind you, just binned it, like i reckon a lot of people did.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 del 1

To all MBNA customers and gamblers!

MBNA have recently changed there policy regarding gambling transactions. Recently I noticed my bill was littered with "cash advance fees". On contacting MBNA I was told that there policy has changed and gambling transactions are now considered a cash advance. I find this hard to believe as they have always been considered the same as a sales transactions and still are with all there competitors.

I did not receive any prior notification on this and on requesting a copy of there terms and conditions it is "slipped in" and not made very clear. It stipulates what the fee is for cash transactions but you have to proceed to a definitions paragraph/section to find the term "gambling transactions" now listed as a cash transaction. This is very misleading and will create problems and complaints because of the lack of transparency in there amended rules.

A refund for all fees has been processed on my account because I did not receive prior notification of the change in MBNA's terms and conditions. It beggars believe that on a E10 bet MBNA will charge a E2.50 fee, this is a complete rip off. I was told by a manager in MBNA that these transactions are now considered "high risk transactions" and they want to discourage people from betting. Who are MNBA to dictate to there customers what they spend there money or leisure time doing?

MBNA have received enough negative reports lately in the press regarding pressurising people who have fallen into arrears on there bills and now they wish to rip off and antagonise there remaining customers!

The fees are 1.5% of transaction or a minimum of E2.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

saucy:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

I dont use MBNA, but if they have intorduced these charges I would vote with my feet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

del 1 wrote: »
    To all MBNA customers and gamblers!

MBNA have recently changed there policy regarding gambling transactions. Recently I noticed my bill was littered with "cash advance fees". On contacting MBNA I was told that there policy has changed and gambling transactions are now considered a cash advance. I find this hard to believe as they have always been considered the same as a sales transactions and still are with all there competitors.

I did not receive any prior notification on this and on requesting a copy of there terms and conditions it is "slipped in" and not made very clear. It stipulates what the fee is for cash transactions but you have to proceed to a definitions paragraph/section to find the term "gambling transactions" now listed as a cash transaction. This is very misleading and will create problems and complaints because of the lack of transparency in there amended rules.

A refund for all fees has been processed on my account because I did not receive prior notification of the change in MBNA's terms and conditions. It beggars believe that on a E10 bet MBNA will charge a E2.50 fee, this is a complete rip off. I was told by a manager in MBNA that these transactions are now considered "high risk transactions" and they want to discourage people from betting. Who are MNBA to dictate to there customers what they spend there money or leisure time doing?

MBNA have received enough negative reports lately in the press regarding pressurising people who have fallen into arrears on there bills and now they wish to rip off and antagonise there remaining customers!

The fees are 1.5% of transaction or a minimum of E2.50.

You might want to ask MBNA what print media did they use to advertise the change in Terms & Conditions. Otherwise, I'm sure the financial regulator would love to hear your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 del 1

Emailed the regulator already. See what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

How they must see it is you are not buying a product. You could simply take money from the mbna account, transfer it to your gambling account then transfer it to your current account.
    Suprised banks have not caught on sooner.
    Best thing to do is move bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

They did issue new t&cs I remember seeing it at the time and wondering who would gamble with a credit card ;)

I got the letter about it the other week.

Merged with previous thread on same topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I had a similar experience with my lloyds tsb cc around 2 years ago. I kicked up a stink over the phone with them. The operator told me there was no chance that i could get these charges reimbursed (i wasnt too bothered, it wasnt alot but i felt they were taking the piss). After years of the occasional bet on a horse or a game of poker or whatever, there was no charge, and the letter enclosed was no different to any other letter, just binned it. It was very 'veiled' imo.

So, i requested the operator put me onto his supervisor on the spot or i close the account tomorrow morning. The supervisor firstly told me that she would not be reimbursing any charges, (i had the card 8 years so i felt like going on a rant), i told her that it was a disgrace and if she didnt sort it for me asap she could close my account here and now. She then offers me half the fees back, (i stood my ground), "no, not a chance, i want all my charges back now or close it".......after a pause........."ok, having looked at your account i have decided that i will reimburse you the full amount of charges but you will have to pay charges from now on, im writing a note on your account to express our converstion today"......i said thanks and put the phone down.

BobbyD10 wrote: »
    I dont use MBNA, but if they have intorduced these charges I would vote with my feet.

Most of them will introduce these charges eventually...

Most of them will introduce these charges eventually...

Yea, pretty much all the uk providers changed conditions around 2-3 years ago to incorporate this, just a matter of time here.

Solution = debit card.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Yea, pretty much all the uk providers changed conditions around 2-3 years ago to incorporate this, just a matter of time here.

Solution = debit card.

Not really, i think the reason for the change is that they are forced to handle the "gambling transactions" as cash advance so they have these fees.

Why is that ireland is bringing this in now and the uk brought it in years ago?

Different financial authority?

Im not sure how 'forced' they are at bringing this in, friend of mine had a natwest cc and we used the same sites etc, but there was a considerable time passed in between both our cards got the charges, do you think they have like a discretionary period or something like that?

Nothing to do with the financial authorities, more to do with profit margins.

It's a revenue stream, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Switch credit card provider. It's so easy I don't know why more people don't do it.

MBNA are the Ryanair of credit cards. Grand if you stay within their terms but if you don't, they'll rape you financially.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Switch credit card provider. It's so easy I don't know why more people don't do it.

MBNA are the Ryanair of credit cards. Grand if you stay within their terms but if you don't, they'll rape you financially.

And they actually issue the RyanAir branded cc...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

I got hit with this charge as well for playing the lotto online... I have asked MBNA if i walk into a shop and buy lotto tickets will i still incur the same charge........waiting on a reply, they state they will reply within 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Got a letter with my Tesco statement today saying they are charging for gambling transactions as cash advances as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I rang the Lotto to ask why they didn't warn users about this charge. I asked why they can't offer Lazer as a method of account top up and he said it was and age thing and they weren't allowed by law. Why can Paddypower use lazer then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Does this charge apply now to all Lotto online payments from any credit card? I've only recently started to use this service (was particularly handy during the big freeze) but I will be ending it immediately if this is the case. What a rip off! :eek:

I asked why they can't offer Lazer as a method of account top up and he said it was and age thing and they weren't allowed by law.

Funny thing is, the UK National Lottery only allow users to buy online with debit cards - credit cards aren't accepted.
    Does this charge apply now to all Lotto online payments from any credit card?

So far, only the providers listed above. If you're provider goes down the same route, they'll write to you beforehand to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have cancelled my CC with MBNA after this.

sneaky

Advertisement