Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agressive 8 month old king charles - what should i do?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi there

we have an 8 month old cavalier king charles who has suddenly in the past few days turned agressive towards two of my children.
    she has nipped at my 4 year old daughter for petting her which left a bite mark on her skin, and would have done the same to my older daughter who was taking shopping out of a plastic bag. luckily my older daughter managed to pull back before she got a nasty bite. whenever the children go anyway near the dog now she growls and seems like she is ready to nip or bite them.

Any ideas on what i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

First off watch the kids don't go near her until you sort this.
    I'd rule out that she's in pain for a start or sick? did they give her a fright?
    It could be that she's becoming mature and trying to show who's boss.
    I know around 8 months my fella tried it on a bit(not going to bed when told and not following commands) but he never showed any aggression, so not sure what to advise.
    My daughter trains the dogs too, and feeds them sometimes, so they follow her as they do me. But she is 11 and same height as me so its not the same as two small children.
    If you can rule out pain, sickness or similar causes, it might be worth speaking to a trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I would strongly advise you to take your dog to the vet to rule out any medical condition causing this aggression. King charles can suffer from syringomyelia which is a very painful condition.

As this aggression has very suddenly started you need to rule out anything medical, then get in a behaviourist to see what's going on. I would recommend Siobhan from Dublin pet school, she's great. www.dublinpetschool.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭goodburger

thank you both so much, it didnt occur to me that she may be in pain, i will get her to the vet asap.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

She's still a puppy and agree with the others have said, rule out any health reasons and then get on to a trainer that uses humane methods of training.
    This is a common enough problem and can be easily solved with a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

have you had her spayed yet? if not she may be coming into heat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement