Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Lessons in Balbriggan

Options
  • 03-12-2009 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just got a Learner Permit, so I'd like to get a few beginner driving lessons before I start practising (under supervision of course) on any public road. In short, I know nothing when it comes to actual driving, so I'd like to know what driving school (in Balbriggan) might be best suited for me. I intend to start learning using an automatic car.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

When I was learning to drive, I started with one Instructor who was a bit lazy and just used to take me on long drives, I was getting a bit bored so I asked around and then switched to Joe Coleman Driving School in Skerries – who I found really good.

But
    He'll work you really hard, i.e. no scenic drives and just when you think the lesson is over and your thinking great only five minutes left he’ll pull over and do a recap of everything covered that day.

Then for the subsequent lessons he’ll start by asking did you study and practise manoeuvres and get you to answer questions – so you’ll need to be doing your homework.

He’s a tough teacher but excellent. All driving lessons are expensive but with him unlike the first guy I felt I got my moneys worth.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

[quote=Irish and Proud;63326833 I intend to start learning using an automatic car.

[/quote]

Sorry I don't think the car he uses is automatic - not sure if I was any help to you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Sorry I don't think the car he uses is automatic - not sure if I was any help to you at all.

Thanks mate, I'll look into it!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I intend to start learning using an automatic car.

sorry to be nosey, but why learn in an automatic? it just seems a bit silly to me to pay for lessons where you really only learn to manouevre the car! there is nothing to learn in terms of making the car go - it kind of does it for you! if you are paying out good money for lessons surely it makes more sense to learn as much as possible?
    A lot of people think learning in an automatic is an easy start and then work up to a manual, but this is not really true.
    In fact, learning to drive a manual after an automatic can be more difficult, as you have formed habits from the automatic which will be difficult to break when you get into a manual. However, it is easier the other way around (manual to automatic).
    And I think the fact that most driving schools don't have automatic cars (or very few anyway) says a lot.
    If you're forking out for lessons, get lessons in a manual is my advice. Its honestly not as scary as you think! And good luck with the learning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

sorry to be nosey, but why learn in an automatic? it just seems a bit silly to me to pay for lessons where you really only learn to manouevre the car! there is nothing to learn in terms of making the car go - it kind of does it for you! if you are paying out good money for lessons surely it makes more sense to learn as much as possible?
    A lot of people think learning in an automatic is an easy start and then work up to a manual, but this is not really true.
    In fact, learning to drive a manual after an automatic can be more difficult, as you have formed habits from the automatic which will be difficult to break when you get into a manual. However, it is easier the other way around (manual to automatic).
    And I think the fact that most driving schools don't have automatic cars (or very few anyway) says a lot.
    If you're forking out for lessons, get lessons in a manual is my advice. Its honestly not as scary as you think! And good luck with the learning!

I'll think about it - my sister says that the advantage of a manual over an automatic is that the driver has more control and reliability. However, my mother says that an automatic makes driving far easier. In any case, I guess what you're saying makes complete sense - suppose if one learns with a manual, then he/she will have the option of driving either a manual or automatic once the driving test is passed.

Regards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement