Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Looking for some info, Before i take the hit!

• 03-12-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Long story short, I am looking for a MMA to do me. I stopped playing WoW again, And really don't want to go back.

Eve looks interesting. There is so much info to take on. So i have a few questions

Is the PVE any good? Is it mainly about PVP? Is there a story plot.

Also whats race breakdown. What one should i pick.

I am a PVP nut in WoW. well i was. So i dont see why i wouldnt be a pvp nut in eve.

Is it really worth playing?

I am thinking about starting the free trial and see how i like it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

its deffo worth playing but the learning curve is alot higher than see that boar go kill it and bring me 5 meats :eek:

that being said join the Irish channel and get in with a player corp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Blazher wrote: »
    Is the PVE any good? Is it mainly about PVP? Is there a story plot.

Also whats race breakdown. What one should i pick.

Is it really worth playing?

The 2nd last patch they added PVE content, but you have to remember that all the high level pve content is bang in the middle of lots of pvp. You can't really get away from pvp in eve. Plotwise, there are a few rp plots but you won't have story shown to you have to go look for it.

In the long run race doesn't matter as you can cross train skills.

No its not worth playing. I've been playing since 06 but i'm crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I would consider EVE mostly PVP, well atleast thats where the fun is.

As said learning curve is very high compared to WOW. When you die in eve you lose what you died with. Ship, modules, cargo and if you unlucky enough not to have a clone without enough skill points storage...dont get me started. NOTE NEVER FLY WITHOUT A SUFFICENT CLONE.

There are stories but they really dont have any impact on the game. They are really just stories that ccp release to keep the people who find them interesting entertained.

The PVP is all about the control of regions of space. PVP can range from 1v1 to massive fleep battles where the oposing forces can range from a few to a few hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

The PVP is all about the control of regions of space. PVP can range from 1v1 to massive fleep battles where the oposing forces can range from a few to a few hundred.

Sounds very interesting.

Put simple. How long are we talking for someone to start and then be in a position to hold his own in the world of Eve. Am i going to get ganked the second i login lol!

I want something that will keep me on my toes. WoW is a fecking kids game, The PVP is what kept me this long. The PVE was cool, But there is noting like killing some poor fecker over and over again till he quits and logs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sounds very interesting.

Put simple. How long are we talking for someone to start and then be in a position to hold his own in the world of Eve. Am i going to get ganked the second i login lol!

I want something that will keep me on my toes. WoW is a fecking kids game, The PVP is what kept me this long. The PVE was cool, But there is noting like killing some poor fecker over and over again till he quits and logs out.

You will be fine when you first login.
    The universe is split between securitys. 1.0 down to 0.0

you are totally safe in 1.0 to 0.5 space unless you attack someone in which case you dead as these are policed space where unsanctioned attaches are outlawed.
    .4 - .1 the only places which are policed are the gates and stations and in 0.0 its lawless.

How long before you can hold you own?? Thats the thing about eve. Its all about what you try and take on. in a few days you may be able ot move into lowsec space and try and kill some people but all dependent on what you train.

When you login join the irish chat room and im sure some of the guys will guide you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Sand

1 - Dont take from the cans outside the starter stations.

2 - Speccing helps: pick a ships thats reasonably affordable, that can do a decent amount and keep upgrading on that line: frigate-cruiser-> Whatever you want. Theres a lot of roles in the typical EVE gang. Spec out a decent frigate first ( T2 small weapons, good fitting/navigation skills), get experience and then pick something that sounds like something you want to do.

3 - Attitude is the most important thing really. A hungry noob can beat a lazy/careless old guy. Fights wont come find you, go find them.

4 - Learn the legal system, theft can be a decent earner. And its earning whilst griefing. A noob player can make more in 5 seconds by salvaging/scooping a wreak than months spent toiling L1-L3 missions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Sand wrote: »
    1 - Dont take from the cans outside the starter stations.

2 - Speccing helps: pick a ships thats reasonably affordable, that can do a decent amount and keep upgrading on that line: frigate-cruiser-> Whatever you want. Theres a lot of roles in the typical EVE gang. Spec out a decent frigate first ( T2 small weapons, good fitting/navigation skills), get experience and then pick something that sounds like something you want to do.

3 - Attitude is the most important thing really. A hungry noob can beat a lazy/careless old guy. Fights wont come find you, go find them.

4 - Learn the legal system, theft can be a decent earner. And its earning whilst griefing. A noob player can make more in 5 seconds by salvaging/scooping a wreak than months spent toiling L1-L3 missions.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

NOTE NEVER FLY WITHOUT A SUFFICENT CLONE.
    Cruiser V * 2 and Anchoring V

The most memorable oh **** moments I have had in an alpha clone
    Sand wrote: »

/me points to my 2 week old char flying a T1 fit Rifter in lowsec and killing a ratting Scythe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Put simple. How long are we talking for someone to start and then be in a position to hold his own in the world of Eve.

Day 1 several hours old. If you don't believe me have a look at:
    http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1025677

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

realistically 6 months if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya eves a complex game those rifter noobs where just old players with new alts they already knew the in's and outs of ship fittiing and how to fly them dont go into it expecting to pick it up in a few days you will just get frustrated imho

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

After about 6 months you should be in a position skillwise.. But to get the pvp know how.. it will take you alot longer. Possibly upto years like the others have said.. depends on how hungry you are.

I've seen guys we recruited from ****ty enemy alliances.. and the only way to describe em is hungry :p its like watching a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat.

Ive also seen guys playing the game 4 years and know nothing about the game mechanics, and are to this day afraid of war declarations and pvp in general. v:rolleyes:v

Advertisement