Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute-goers past and present - Advice please!

Options
  • 03-12-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm currently in 5th year and school and after 10 years in the school, I'm getting a bit fed up of it. I went to the institute for JC grinds, really enjoyed them and felt the benefits of them. As much as I want to go, I still want to ask a few questions, and would really appreciate it if people cleared them up for me....

1: I know how the institute works all around their notes, but is there any books needed at all for class?

2: Bearing in mind that I would be joining the Institute in 6th year and some students would already know each other in 5th year, is it a bit clicky or are the people fairly friendly?

3: This may be a stupid question, but in Maths would the course cover as much detail as a book would? Just I'm not great at thinking on my feet for maths in particular and would rather have gone through the course with a fine tooth comb than with just doing a few questions here and there.

4: I hear there are loads of tests, but is there loads of homework on top of that as well?

5: Will I be assesed on my homework regularly?

6: As relation to career guidance councillors, our own in school would see the 6th years at least 5 to six times in a year. I was slightly alarmed by there only being 3 guidance councillors in the institute for such a large school. How many times on average would you see the councillors in a year?

7: Could you reccomend a good French and Irish teacher (I've heard Claire Greally is the best).

Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you can answer my questions! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

dsct92 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently in 5th year and school and after 10 years in the school, I'm getting a bit fed up of it. I went to the institute for JC grinds, really enjoyed them and felt the benefits of them. As much as I want to go, I still want to ask a few questions, and would really appreciate it if people cleared them up for me....

1: I know how the institute works all around their notes, but is there any books needed at all for class?

2: Bearing in mind that I would be joining the Institute in 6th year and some students would already know each other in 5th year, is it a bit clicky or are the people fairly friendly?

3: This may be a stupid question, but in Maths would the course cover as much detail as a book would? Just I'm not great at thinking on my feet for maths in particular and would rather have gone through the course with a fine tooth comb than with just doing a few questions here and there.

4: I hear there are loads of tests, but is there loads of homework on top of that as well?

5: Will I be assesed on my homework regularly?

6: As relation to career guidance councillors, our own in school would see the 6th years at least 5 to six times in a year. I was slightly alarmed by there only being 3 guidance councillors in the institute for such a large school. How many times on average would you see the councillors in a year?

7: Could you reccomend a good French and Irish teacher (I've heard Claire Greally is the best).

Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you can answer my questions! :cool:

1. most classes are notes. For ag science and business you need a book. Ag science you dont use it in class but he refers you to it a lot. Biology you may need one if you take Michael O'Callaghan. Other than that not really. You can buy books if you like to have extra help though.But the notes are so good you really wont need them.

2.Well considering this is my 4th year in the institute i defo know the answer to this haha. Yes a lot of people from fifth year know each other but in 6th there is twice as many so most people dont know many or anyone at all. Everyone is really nice and you will make lots of friends!!Dont worry you wont be the only one not knowing anybody.

3.In maths you will cover everything from start to finish.They dont just pick out random questions etc. So you will be fine in that subject.

4.There are tests in subjects most weeks but you will also get homework.It all depends on the teacher. Some teachers alternate it where one week you have to hand up homework and the next week you have a test. So you only have it once a week in some classes.Other teachers will give you a small bit each day just for practise.

5.If you have to hand up homework they will grade you on it and you get it back.Other teachers will just go through the answers to homework questions the next day with everyone.

6.Yes there are only three guidance councillors but they are brill. There is a notice board outside with times and days and you just sign up for an appointment. That way you can go as many times as you want. And between 830 and either 9.30 or 10.30 there is no appointment needed and you can just pop in for any questions.

7. For french definitely take Corinne Gavenda. I have had all the french teachers in there and she is by far the best!! Fairly tough going and lots of work but she is brill!! Ye for irish claire grealy is great so stick with that choice!

Hope this all helps. Overall it is a great school and if you use it properly you will do great. Dont start missing classes etc cause it is very easy to do and a lot of people do it. It is the best place to be if you are willing to put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dsct92

Thanks for that, really given me some food for thought! ;)

Advertisement