Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandyford Apartments on the cheap!

Options
  • 03-12-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all

I was told by a friend that there is a residential development consisting of un finished apartments in Sandyford beside the new Central Park Business centre. These apartments are shell's and need a total fitout to bring them up to a livable standard. They are going for €100,000. Hmmmm might be tempting but it's screaming of to good to be true!

Does anyone have any more details about the name of the development, builder's, real estate agent's etc?

Cheers!

Napiergen

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

These may be utterly useless to anyone but a developer / builder as there may be not service connections between the apartments and the outside world.

Individual buyers trying to put something together could face their neighbours treating the building as a building site for the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Napiergen wrote: »
    Hi all
    I was told by a friend that there is a residential development consisting of un finished apartments in Sandyford beside the new Central Park Business centre. These apartments are shell's and need a total fitout to bring them up to a livable standard. They are going for €100,000. Hmmmm might be tempting but it's screaming of to good to be true!

Does anyone have any more details about the name of the development, builder's, real estate agent's etc?

Cheers!

Napiergen

They are too good to be true.
    Are those apartments around the old McCambridges site I wonder.
    There is big new office building there.

Sandyford is going to become a slum in years to come, since it is primarily made up of huge chunk of poor quality rental apartments.
    How badly designed and built they are is highlighted by fact that the run off water from the balconies just pour out onto the footpaths below, no gutters or channelling of water.

Offices and warehouses have shut and are lying idle with a possible lease or sale date maybe 5 years down the road.
    Trust me on this.

There are empty apartments, there is Fleming's half finished white elephant tower opposite Dunnes.
    Half the shops around Dunnes are treading water with the Golf Shop already gone.
    The furniture shops and interior design "alternative living" shops are always always empty.
    That area will be a ghost town apart from O'Briens off license and Dunnes.

And to top it off the sewers can't cope with what is alrady there nevermind additional people and developments.

So my advice is don't touch unless you get real bargain 50,000 or something and can buy the lot since no use you being the only one and all the other apartments in the development empty.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Napiergen

jmayo wrote: »
    They are too good to be true.
    Are those apartments around the old McCambridges site I wonder.
    There is big new office building there.

Sandyford is going to become a slum in years to come, since it is primarily made up of huge chunk of poor quality rental apartments.
    How badly designed and built they are is highlighted by fact that the run off water from the balconies just pour out onto the footpaths below, no gutters or channelling of water.

Offices and warehouses have shut and are lying idle with a possible lease or sale date maybe 5 years down the road.
    Trust me on this.

There are empty apartments, there is Fleming's half finished white elephant tower opposite Dunnes.
    Half the shops around Dunnes are treading water with the Golf Shop already gone.
    The furniture shops and interior design "alternative living" shops are always always empty.
    That area will be a ghost town apart from O'Briens off license and Dunnes.

And to top it off the sewers can't cope with what is alrady there nevermind additional people and developments.

So my advice is don't touch unless you get real bargain 50,000 or something and can buy the lot since no use you being the only one and all the other apartments in the development empty.

Aaaaah i see! I know there is a little spar on the ground floor and alot of empty office and retail space. I'd imagine if these are plumbed etc the above building would be the same.

Thats a bleak assessment for the residents of Sandyford. A slum is a pretty strong description but i certainly see where you are coming from if they are to that standard and the prices have plummeted.

Dam, its so tempting due to the amenities in a and around the area, Dundrum shopping centre etc. Ah sure it's always to good to be true. Im a Swords man so i think the hunt may continue on this end. Sit tight and keep on saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Always thought it was a bit prophetic having a development up there called South Central :(

• Advertisement

mailforkev wrote: »
    Always thought it was a bit prophetic having a development up there called South Central :(

Haha, Nice! ;)

Im gonna take a trip over tomorrow to suss it all out. I'll make sure i keep and eye out for running water coming from those dodgy balconies.

Rent to Buy is available in a big way in the area now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Haha, Nice! ;)

Im gonna take a trip over tomorrow to suss it all out. I'll make sure i keep and eye out for running water coming from those dodgy balconies.

Rent to Buy is available in a big way in the area now too!

I would be very cautious about buying an apartment in the suburbs. The only place I would consider buying an apartment is in the Docklands area and even then I dont know if I would. If you cant afford a house I would just stay where you are and save up a bigger deposit, as you would want to be buying a place that you could live in for 10 years+. House prices arent going to shoot up anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Avoid it like the plague. They are "cheap" for a very good reason!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've been out there a couple of times in the central square where "Imaginarium" is on a Saturday and it's scary how dead the place is.
    You'd see a few people around in Starbuck's but really, the place is a ghost town.

irishguy wrote: »
    I would be very cautious about buying an apartment in the suburbs. The only place I would consider buying an apartment is in the Docklands area and even then I dont know if I would. If you cant afford a house I would just stay where you are and save up a bigger deposit, as you would want to be buying a place that you could live in for 10 years+. House prices arent going to shoot up anytime soon.

That is my one worry that the prices will just start rising soon. Does anyone have an idea when they will start to rise, 2010/2011? If i could land a nice 3 bedroom in Swords (where i am from) i'd be happily sticking with it for a long time. Keep saving and stop rushing is the way to go i think. Cheers!
    C Eng wrote: »
    Avoid it like the plague. They are "cheap" for a very good reason!!;)

Talk about your head being turned for a deal!! Haha! ;)
    Sleipnir wrote: »
    I've been out there a couple of times in the central square where "Imaginarium" is on a Saturday and it's scary how dead the place is.
    You'd see a few people around in Starbuck's but really, the place is a ghost town.

Thanks for all the comments, tis been an eye opener to say the least. It is amazing the amount of unfinished and non resident apartments out that way.

• Advertisement

That is my one worry that the prices will just start rising soon. Does anyone have an idea when they will start to rise, 2010/2011? If i could land a nice 3 bedroom in Swords (where i am from) i'd be happily sticking with it for a long time. Keep saving and stop rushing is the way to go i think. Cheers!

If I knew that for definite id be a very rich man. :D

Prices will bounce along the bottom for the next few years so I wouldnt be worried they are going to take off like they did before. If you save as much as you can regularly for another few years (assuming you have some level of savings at the moment) you should be able to afford a place in swords, i can see houses outside the M50 coming down even further as sellers become more realistic.

BTW unless you have a huge deposit (which it seems you dont) + money to finish the apartment no bank will give you a mortgage. Even then it would be hard to get approval.

Too true! I've just been scouting the Swords market.....again! A 3 bedroom apartment that is 1065 sq ft was 330,000 a few weeks back its now 289,000. WOW! :eek: Not that i'll be going for it but my god its a sign of the times.

On the deposit front it'll be the end of next summer before i can make a realistic application to the bank.

Too true! I've just been scouting the Swords market.....again! A 3 bedroom apartment that is 1065 sq ft was 330,000 a few weeks back its now 289,000. WOW! :eek: Not that i'll be going for it but my god its a sign of the times.

On the deposit front it'll be the end of next summer before i can make a realistic application to the bank.

You should go into the bank anyway and see what you will get. You would be surprised with the current low interest rates. A savings track record is the number one thing they are looking for at the moment. Also I would recommend to go viewing places now, to get a feel for the market and the house buying process. I was looked at about 50+ houses over 10 months before I bought a house and I learned loads. So when I did buy I was an expert... well sort of :D

Aaaaah i see! I know there is a little spar on the ground floor and alot of empty office and retail space. I'd imagine if these are plumbed etc the above building would be the same.

Thats a bleak assessment for the residents of Sandyford. A slum is a pretty strong description but i certainly see where you are coming from if they are to that standard and the prices have plummeted.

Dam, its so tempting due to the amenities in a and around the area, Dundrum shopping centre etc. ...

Ah now I know where you are on about.
    There is chinese downstairs as well.
    Used to be Opel garage opposite at one time, the days when it was actually an industriual estate and not get rich scheme for developers.

Amenities ehhhh.
    Well you are near the Luas and yes Dundrum is down the line but do you consider an overpriced designer shopping centre to be an amenity ?
    Stillorgan is also near but time has not being kind to it and now good few empty units appearing.
    Nearest pub is Sillorgan, Lepp Inn or God forbid Balally.
    There is gym up in Leopardstown racecourse and there's always Kilmacud Crokes in Stillorgan, one of the richest GAA clubs in Ireland

Those apartments aren't the ones with the overflowing balconies, they are the ones situated around Dunnes.
    Seriously ater heavy rain do not walk under the balcomy edge as you get drenched form the water and you can see the stains on bottom of the balcony where the water just drains out a pipe.

Anyway there is huge glut of apartments in Sandyford and the quality in most is not great.
    Fleming appeared to be building his by putting together pre built sections that for all the world looked like ship containers with the odd window/door.

It is rental land, very cosmopolitan with lots of foriegners around, but when times get really hard they will probably go home leaving big vacancy rates.

Maybe slum is too harsh a term, but it is going to be rental land for a long time and as time goes on the quality of the builds will detiorate makign it less nice place to live.
    Haha, Nice! ;)

Watch out around the courtyards around Dunnes. ;)

Thanks for all the comments, tis been an eye opener to say the least. It is amazing the amount of unfinished and non resident apartments out that way.

That area will not see rises for decades I would guess.
    They are still overpriced.
    Houses and inner city apartments will all have to rise first and then finally they may see something.

There is big 13 or 15 storey tower there that I bet Fleming's bankers would just love to get rid of.
    The views from the top must be great :D

BTW you should have headed down the M50 to next exit and checked out Carrickmines.
    The apartments down there are really moving, well the roofs are anyway :rolleyes:

Remember my point about build quality ;)

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah now I know where you are on about.
    There is chinese downstairs as well.
    Used to be Opel garage opposite at one time, the days when it was actually an industriual estate and not get rich scheme for developers.

Amenities ehhhh.
    Well you are near the Luas and yes Dundrum is down the line but do you consider an overpriced designer shopping centre to be an amenity ?
    Stillorgan is also near but time has not being kind to it and now good few empty units appearing.
    Nearest pub is Sillorgan, Lepp Inn or God forbid Balally.
    There is gym up in Leopardstown racecourse and there's always Kilmacud Crokes in Stillorgan, one of the richest GAA clubs in Ireland

Those apartments aren't the ones with the overflowing balconies, they are the ones situated around Dunnes.
    Seriously ater heavy rain do not walk under the balcomy edge as you get drenched form the water and you can see the stains on bottom of the balcony where the water just drains out a pipe.

Anyway there is huge glut of apartments in Sandyford and the quality in most is not great.
    Fleming appeared to be building his by putting together pre built sections that for all the world looked like ship containers with the odd window/door.

It is rental land, very cosmopolitan with lots of foriegners around, but when times get really hard they will probably go home leaving big vacancy rates.

Maybe slum is too harsh a term, but it is going to be rental land for a long time and as time goes on the quality of the builds will detiorate makign it less nice place to live.

Watch out around the courtyards around Dunnes. ;)

That area will not see rises for decades I would guess.
    They are still overpriced.
    Houses and inner city apartments will all have to rise first and then finally they may see something.

There is big 13 or 15 storey tower there that I bet Fleming's bankers would just love to get rid of.
    The views from the top must be great :D

BTW you should have headed down the M50 to next exit and checked out Carrickmines.
    The apartments down there are really moving, well the roofs are anyway :rolleyes:

Remember my point about build quality ;)

YES! Thats the spot alright. I ended up heading over today. What can i say my arm was twisted! There IS a chinese restaurent on the ground floor and right below it is a Spar. Now a Spar in my opinion is a convenience store but today it was closed!! Not very convenient and alarm bell's ringing!

The place seemed like a high rise you'd get in the costa del sol, a concrete jungle but i did peak my head into a few window's and the apartments were a good size with 6ft window's. I love my windows!! It is only a min from the M50.

When i say amenities, yes Dundrum and all it's over priced fancy smancy shops is, this is a plus for me. Its a community centre that i can at least afford a coffee in and watch the world go by. I dont care for gym's having managed them/leisure facilities for the past 5 yrs i'd rather train at home haha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

Anyone know if it's true? Are they actually selling for 100k?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is only a min from the M50.
    Oh, I didn't realise the property had a heli-pad. Sandyford can be utterly chaotic at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What road is this on in the estate?

I happen to like Sandyford, I mean you're not a world away from the Goat or entertainment in Dundrum for that matter. I couldn't think of a compariable on the North side that has the same going for it as Sandyford has.
    The only remote comparsion I can make is perhaps Clarehall / Baldoyle (even at that both places are sh1te :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

stepbar wrote: »

I happen to like Sandyford, I mean you're not a world away from the Goat or entertainment in Dundrum for that matter. I couldn't think of a compariable on the North side that has the same going for it as Sandyford has.
    The only remote comparsion I can make is perhaps Clarehall / Baldoyle (even at that both places are sh1te :rolleyes:)
    Beside the Goat pub and better than Clarehall? Faint praise indeed for an area where 2-beds were asking €500k ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Beside the Goat pub and better than Clarehall? Faint praise indeed for an area where 2-beds were asking €500k ;)

Indeed ;)

Maybe I didn't explain my point very well. Sandyford is "surrounded" by what I would class as "good" areas. Clarehall / Baldoyle is "close" to Malahide and Howth. Good area yep, but even "closer" to Darndale, Donaghmede and Coolock (maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Donaghmede but I wasn't that impressed by it). Sandyford has decent transport links whilst Clarehall / Baldoyle..... it's not great to say the least. Roughly, both locations are the same distance as the crow flies from the Spire (lets say). I know which I would pick and it won't be long until prices are compariable to what's up in Clarehall / Baldoyle.

• Advertisement

Swords, it wouldn' be as affluent but it does have the Pavillion Shopping Centre which is being extended yet again. That is suprising but Mark's & Spencer have just put pen to paper as the anchor store for the new extension. A hospital has been given the go ahead along with a University. Metro is planned but that'll be 2050 ;) Close to the airport and is also right beside Malahide, Howth etc etc.

Swords doesnt have the "name" Sandyford has but i would say it's got alot going for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't know Swords very well so some of the areas may have a reputation, but a quick Myhome.ie search for 3 bed houses in the area gives me loads listed under €300k.

Cheapest is €235k and that's only the list price - if I were you that's what I'd be looking at as opposed to apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hi all

Cheers!

Napiergen

€100,000 for an uninhabitable shell? Where do I sign up?

Too true! I've just been scouting the Swords market.....again! A 3 bedroom apartment that is 1065 sq ft was 330,000 a few weeks back its now 289,000. WOW! :

Not picking on you, but a 3 bed 1065sqft apartment in Swords is not worth 330k, and it's not worth 289k either. People really need to get silly bubble prices out of their heads when evaluating property.

I Think it is Arkle Rd just off Carmanhall Rd, next road over from entrance to mickeysoft's car park entrance.
    It is very near Luas line about (80 yards) and quiet near the two stations which are only about a few hundred yards apart anyway.
    If you like living in mix of empty office blocks, some old fashioned warehouses/offices and lots of apartments then knock yourself out.

At one stage the number of apartments planned for Sandyford was something in the region of 1500 to 2000 I believe.
    Now of course the Beacon Sth Quarter has one side unfinished nicely masked with covering and Fleming's white elephant across the road has only maybe 1/5th built.
    Of course the unsuitable sewage system through another spanner into the works as regards getting planning for anymore.

The surrounding areas bar up near Balally would be all ok and pretty established middle class.
    But that doesn't mean Sandyford Ind Estate itself won't turn into renters central and ulitmately slumville :rolleyes:
    Indeed ;)
    Maybe I didn't explain my point very well. Sandyford is "surrounded" by what I would class as "good" areas. Clarehall / Baldoyle is "close" to Malahide and Howth. Good area yep, but even "closer" to Darndale, Donaghmede and Coolock (maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Donaghmede but I wasn't that impressed by it). Sandyford has decent transport links whilst Clarehall / Baldoyle..... it's not great to say the least. Roughly, both locations are the same distance as the crow flies from the Spire (lets say). I know which I would pick and it won't be long until prices are compariable to what's up in Clarehall / Baldoyle.

Don't make any predictions on prices improving anywhere.
    Most of the apartments there appear to be rented to non Irish, and that is where there could be a problem coming down the line if these people decide they have had enough of paying the piper for the bubble spenders and leave the country.
    Then you have lots of landlords scrambling for tenants and the place could turn into knackerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Indeed ;)

Point taken. My irony meter wasn't calibrated properly :)

And yes I think that's probably a fair comparison. Personally I wouldn't want to live there, but as you say Sandyford is definitely preferable to Clarehall/Baldoyle. For a start they're lacking a Microsoft, Luas and Starbucks :) But it's anyone's guess what it'll be like in 5-10 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Maybe I didn't explain my point very well. Sandyford is "surrounded" by what I would class as "good" areas. Clarehall / Baldoyle is "close" to Malahide and Howth. Good area yep, but even "closer" to Darndale, Donaghmede and Coolock (maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Donaghmede but I wasn't that impressed by it).

I know people who live in Baldoyle and you're mistaken about the distance issue here. If you're talking about the new apartments beside Clongriffen (Red Arches & Myrtle) then yes they're fairly close to Donaghmede (which is not a bad town by the way) But old Baldoyle (Baldoyle village and surrounds) is less than twenty minutes walk from Sutton Cross and a good hours walk from Darndale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

At a bit harsh on the area lads.
    As a bloke who's lived in Sandyford for 10 years I find the area pretty good.
    The area is middle class (apart from a nest in Balally)

Regarding the industrial estate - I can't see it turning into a slum.
    The Green Luas is very handy for town.
    Lots of good employers - numerous blue chip IT / Telecomms companies.
    DLRCoCo are obviously only in the process of rezoning it from industrial to residential / commercial / retail.
    I can't see DLRCoCo letting the place go down the tubes.

At a bit harsh on the area lads.
    As a bloke who's lived in Sandyford for 10 years I find the area pretty good.
    The area is middle class (apart from a nest in Balally)

Regarding the industrial estate - I can't see it turning into a slum.
    The Green Luas is very handy for town.
    Lots of good employers - numerous blue chip IT / Telecomms companies.
    DLRCoCo are obviously only in the process of rezoning it from industrial to residential / commercial / retail.
    I can't see DLRCoCo letting the place go down the tubes.

Well if you have lived in Sandyford for 10 years then you haven't lived in the industrial estate.
    Do you live up near Sandyford village ?

There aren't as many blue chip IT/Telecom/Technology companies as there once was, unless you are dragging in Leopardstown Business Park into the mix.
    Take out mickeysoft and what have you really got ?
    Oh yeah the sales arms of the likes of Canon and Novell. :rolleyes:
    A lot of companies have moved out of Sandyford (S3, Odenbergh etc) to places like Citywest, because they sold up so that all those apartment complexes could be built.
    Most of the people living in Sandyford Ind Est do not work there. You see influx of people circa 5 to 6pm.

Maybe it won't be a slum, but it is going to be a renters area.
    No one is going to want to buy a shody apartment to live amongst thousands of renters.

Advertisement