Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privatise the public sector

Options
  • 03-12-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

There seems to be strong feelings about the public service on threads here therefore I propose a simple solution: privatise the entire public sector and let individuals bear the full brunt of costs in an open market between schools, hospitals, security, etc.

We would all be in the private sector then. What fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why not ??? Sure when the next Cetic Cat comes around they'll be driving around in big 4 x 4s and scoffing monstrous Jumbo Breakfast Rolls :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

ulysses32 wrote: »
    There seems to be strong feelings about the public service on threads here therefore I propose a simple solution: privatise the entire public sector and let individuals bear the full brunt of costs in an open market between schools, hospitals, security, etc.

Yeah - or not, of course. If you're trying to argue that because the public sector is necessary it should also therefore be too expensive, you're on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

Having said that, I daresay our local libertarians may actually take you up on this. I leave you to their tender mercies, and may God have pity on your soul.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

This might actually work out well for me,

STEP ONE
    Purchase a "Platinum care" protection package from the newly privatized military.

STEP TWO
    Set up my OWN private military.

STEP THREE
    BURN THEM ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

It's happening an awful more in the UK, the local councils are outsourcing some of the services they provide.

One example

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-news/2009/10/21/capita-eyes-new-council-targets-65233-24978623/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Scofflaw wrote: »
    ... Having said that, I daresay our local libertarians may actually take you up on this. I leave you to their tender mercies, and may God have pity on your soul...

Do we not have a sub-forum somewhere for bloodsports?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Harney's been doing her best to privatise the health service for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Who'd bail thm out when it goes belly up though!? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Donegalfella will be along any minute to tell us how well this idea worked in some book he read once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Do we not have a sub-forum somewhere for bloodsports?

There is a Humour one - this thread could be joke of the day.

Yesterday was the unpaid holidays idea but I don't want to go there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes privatise what was the public sector and nationalise what was the private sector.

Then get Harry Hill to shout "fight" and we can see which one is best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There seems to be a chortling assumption that the private sector option would be overpriced and poorly delivered. Which means it cant be any worse than the current public sector option.

I mean, the public sector costs more and more and delivers less and less.

Advertisement