Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunni Islam & Shia Islam, what is the difference?

• 03-12-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

Why was there a split in Islam? and what are the differences between them? Finally if someone is considering converting in the future - what path do you choose Sunni or Shia Islam? I hope I haven't opened a can of worms here, but I need to know. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Sunni accounts for 85% of Muslims, Shia is the second biggest.
    As far as I know (wikipedia education) it comes
    from a disagreement a few
    generations after Muhammed's death over who was his rightful heir. There's probably a lot more to it than that, and someone who actually knows what they're talking about can fill you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

The main difference arises from,as mentioned above,who the chose heir was.Sunni's believe it was Abu Bakr and Shia's believe it was Ali.I, and probably many others, believe that the differences are blown WAY out of proportion and would consider them subtle at the very most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Why was there a split in Islam? and what are the differences between them? Finally if someone is considering converting in the future - what path do you choose Sunni or Shia Islam? I hope I haven't opened a can of worms here, but I need to know. :confused:

Salaam medicman,

what the two posters above said. To be honest in my experience it is something i have not looked into too much. All the main practises are the same and it is not something that has caused be any concern so far.

I think the following article sums up the differences:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/subdivisions/sunnishia_1.shtml#section_4

If I was you I would not worry about it too much, we are all Muslims and should concentrate on our similarities not differences.

Advertisement