Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wall insulation - help!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

sydthebeat wrote: »
    'Cavity Block' walls shouldnt be pumped with insulation.

'Cavity' walls can be.

thanks sydthebeat . Makes sence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sorry my mistake, I meant continue the EWI externally to finish below internal floor area. It would be hard to expect people to lift paths etc for the EWI but I have seen it done where under-pining was being done anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jgc115

Thanks for the information BryanF -
    BTW - I meant "Breeze Block"

I read the pdf file (on SEI site)and strangely my house looks very similar to the 1st case study on page 49. I have a garage exactly on the same side but I have bigger windows. Also double glazing was installed in the house about 15 years ago. So I presume the thermal properties of my windows wouldn't be as good as the modern double/triple glazed windows??

I was also leaning towards "Rock Wool" as my preferred choice but I was wondering about the rendering they put over it - that is, would it be strong enough to support a ladder against it while possibly doing a repair job sometime in the future? I have a sales rep (SEI approved) coming to see me in a few days to discuss the EWI rock wool install - that's why I'm trying to gather as much information as possible so I can ask the right questions.

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

isup wrote: »
    I've rang a couple of Companys and they both say they stop the insulation at ground level. Is this common practice?

Yes
    isup wrote: »
    I was sure that it would need to go down a few hundred mil

It should go right down to the top of the foundation. See pages 44+45 of this.

It would add considerably to many retrofit projects which is why it's not always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Smithers1

zipee wrote: »
    :D:D:D Thanks sinnerboy! Made my day! Decision now made! Here's hoping for a warm house by end of Jan 2010!

HI - I'm now looking at the external insulation as a solution to my own house problems - how did it work out for you? Any tips for someone preparing to embark on the same trail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

Smithers1 wrote: »
    HI - I'm now looking at the external insulation as a solution to my own house problems - how did it work out for you? Any tips for someone preparing to embark on the same trail?

If it would help I can send you the name of a company I would recommend you don't go within a mile of?? They made an awful mess of my external insulation and I had to get it totally redone. They are still listed on the SEI website and I don't want anyone else to go through the same stress and expense that I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

S Connor wrote: »
    If it would help I can send you the name of a company I would recommend you don't go within a mile of?? They made an awful mess of my external insulation and I had to get it totally redone. They are still listed on the SEI website and I don't want anyone else to go through the same stress and expense that I did.
    Yes, if you could PM the details please to whoever you think needs or wants them would be great. We would prefer not to see them posted here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

S Connor wrote: »
    hi, i'm also going down that route of ext insulation, if you pm me the details that would be great. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

Any i dea of the cost approx for ewi on a 4 bed semi? Just a ball park figure...

inovo wrote: »
    Any i dea of the cost approx for ewi on a 4 bed semi? Just a ball park figure...
    between 10-25k (i dont know the msq wall area or the standard of job you expect)
    potentially 10k for 'man in white van' and somewhere closer to 20-25k for a decent job where you have some hope of it lasting, and the thermal bridges properly detailed.

Apologies for allowing for such a the vast difference, but to give an example: there are 3 or 4 ewi jobs on-going in my immediate area, none of the contractors have addressed the eaves or foundations details and i have not seen one hole cored for ventilation (the window details are best changed at the same time but I except its not to everyones budget) ...but self certification! what a marvellous system for cowboys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

BryanF wrote: »
    between 10-25k (i dont know the msq wall area or the standard of job you expect)
    potentially 10k for 'man in white van' and somewhere closer to 20-25k for a decent job where you have some hope of it lasting, and the thermal bridges properly detailed.

Apologies for allowing for such a the vast difference, but to give an example: there are 3 or 4 ewi jobs on-going in my immediate area, none of the contractors have addressed the eaves or foundations details and i have not seen one hole cored for ventilation (the window details are best changed at the same time but I except its not to everyones budget) ...but self certification! what a marvellous system for cowboys!

Thanks for the info. Looking at getting this done this year as half of my house is built (1982) in 'cavity block' and the remainder is cavity wall.

inovo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Looking at getting this done this year as half of my house is built (1982) in 'cavity block' and the remainder is cavity wall.
    go with one of die German manufacturers, (ie one with a history) talk to their reps about thermal bridging & details and ask for preferred local installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

Thinking of going with external insulation on my house now. Its two story over basement c. 200y/o mid terrace, solid brick wall house in north Dublin inner city.
    Brick is currently painted, as it is on many houses in the street. Some have also been plastered so its a real patchwork quilt, hence why I'm not as worried as I would otherwise be about losing the aesthetic qualities of the brick.
    The front of the house has a parapet at roof level. The rear has no soffit with a gutter being tight to the house. All of the windows and doors need to be replaced.
    A new single story kitchen extension is to be built to the rear of the house at lower return level.
    So my questions are:
    1) Is EWI possible on this house, with the parapet on the front and lack of soffit to the rear?
    2)If so, what type of insulation would anyone recommend?
    3)How would this tie in with the new rear extension?
    4)Please feel free to PM recommendations of products or installers.
    5)If I have missed anything obvious, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

1. yes - get an architect/technician to specify DONT just go to a contractor
    2. there's loads of options - I'm fond of the timber composite and rigid hemp or mineral wool insulations and there's a new cork system just brought to market also. then you have your usual PIR,PUR,EPS systems but they are not suitable for older buildings, as they should be able to breathe
    3. ask your architect/technician - this should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

2. there's loads of options - I'm fond of the timber composite and rigid hemp or mineral wool insulations and there's a new cork system just brought to market also. then you have your usual PIR,PUR,EPS systems but they are not suitable for older buildings, as they should be able to breathe

Thanks Bryan, always find your posts very helpful and informative. Would you have any concerns over the durability of the natural insulations you have mentioned?

kilclon wrote: »

Thanks Bryan, always find your posts very helpful and informative. Would you have any concerns over the durability of the natural insulations you have mentioned?
    Depends on the application, most can offer the same lifespan as the petroleum products. And have properties more suitable for old buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I seen a grant job that was done close to me. I was dumbfounded with the finished job. They cut the beautiful sandstone sill and replaced it with a folded tin monstrousity with brutish white clips on the exposed edges. They then botched the seal with the window with globs of sealant. Add to that the house now looks like a cheap dolls house. Is this the norm on retro fits? The owner tried to stop them cutting the sill but they said they had to for grant purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

I hopfully am going to get my "baltic" house externally insulated. This thread has frightened me in to the number of con men are out there...

Can ye PM me the name of the companies that ye used and thoes you would certainly never use again.
    I need to know all the dos and don'ts and all advise taken on board!

canice wrote: »
    I hopfully am going to get my "baltic" house externally insulated. This thread has frightened me in to the number of con men are out there...

Can ye PM me the name of the companies that ye used and thoes you would certainly never use again.
    I need to know all the dos and don'ts and all advise taken on board!
    It would be helpful if you stated what part of the country you're in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

Ooops, sorry!
    Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 khpuddin

Hi All, I am currently getting a few quotes for getting External Wall Insulation in the South Dublin area. Could anyone who has had this done PM me and recommed or warn me about a contractor they have used?

Also one of the people who was out gave us the option of EPS or Rockwool the price difference was not that big so I am just wondering what peoples feelings are on which to go for.

From what I gather:
    1. Rockwool would be thicker (120mm) as oppposed to 100mm of EPS.
    2. Rockwool is fire resistant while EPS isnt
    3. Rockwool can become less effective over time while EPS wont

I am veering more towards EPS but would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

khpuddin wrote: »
    Hi All, I am currently getting a few quotes for getting External Wall Insulation in the South Dublin area. Could anyone who has had this done PM me and recommed or warn me about a contractor they have used?

Also one of the people who was out gave us the option of EPS or Rockwool the price difference was not that big so I am just wondering what peoples feelings are on which to go for.

From what I gather:

Thanks!
    Just to clarify. External Wall Insulation or EWI (abbreviated) is the process of insulating your cavity walls externally (on the outside of the walls). Are you talking about having your cavity walls insulated?

Yes I am talking about having my walls insulated Externally

Age of houses
    And type of wall please

Age of houses
    And type of wall please

Ihi,
    The house was built mid 70's and it is cavity blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

Thanks!

Hi. I went with EPS but it is 120mm thick not 100mm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

From what I gather:

Thanks!
    I used Churchfield (via an architect/contractor) on a standard 3-bed semi-D (built 1949, so already very solid). Very professional; no mess. In and out one week. House looks and feels great - and still does two years on. However the big change to the insulation of my house came when I dry lined it four years earlier at a fraction of the cost. That along, with double glazed windows that "capture" the heat of the sun, gave me about 80% of the insulation I have and slashed my gas bills. The only prob was that I couldn't dry line a north-facing back wall, which is why I went for the external insulation a few years later when I'd got the money together. You could only get a grant if you covered the whole house.

Thanks for the reply very much appreciated!

From what I gather:

Thanks!
    1. rockwool is recyclable, so it gets my vote,
    2. yep, when you lift the paths for insulating to foundation level, you will need to use an EPS type board. ie below DPC/internal; floor level
    3. id like to see the studies that suggest rigid rockwool or EA 'become less effective overtime
    I've recently priced the cost of 200mm ewi for a client and the extra insulation thickness (V 120mm) only increased the price by about 10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I have been considering getting external wall insulation done but quite nervous now after reading this thread so would love to hear the opinions of anyone who has had this done recently.

Does the advice of Architectural Technicians cost much?
    Have prices gone down at all since 2010?
    How much is it likely to cost?
    My home is almost identical to this one if it helps...

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-tamarisk-grove-tallaght-dublin/1836438

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement