Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wall insulation - help!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

I had similar fears and went with a company that was recommended to me. I found them very good in every way. Eco snug was the company I used. Philip Treacy is the owner. They kept me informed at every stage and best of all they were honest and very reliable. They left the house as clean as they could even cleaning the windows! Also they did not finish the job till everything was 100% complete. I am in no way associated with the company but just found Philip to be so easy to do business with.
    PM me if you want any more details or give Philip a call and he will give you a honest quote.
    Teresa

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

S Connor wrote: »
    If it would help I can send you the name of a company I would recommend you don't go within a mile of?? They made an awful mess of my external insulation and I had to get it totally redone. They are still listed on the SEI website and I don't want anyone else to go through the same stress and expense that I did.
    hi would you mind PM me also please. am going about EWI also. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 longlooker

Hi

In city and thinking of getting external insulation in my 3bed semi, any recommendations? Any idea reading price? There s some brick on my house, will this ave to be replaced or will they just plaster over it. Don't mind slightly the brick....or will they remove it and they put it back o?

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

In relation to cost of External Wall Insulation, I see a 2009 post saying 'ball park cost €110 per m2 wall area ' - anyone know is this still a good guide price?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

When getting quotes ensure the contractors are quoting like with like. For instance will they lift paths and bring insulation to foundation, and take of soffit to meet roof insulation, wall and eaves vents, everything down to the garden tap should be specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jamboambo1

Could you pm me the details of the crowd you used as i want to make sure i don't use them. Can anyone recommend a good company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

We've a house built in the early 1970s and it has a cavity wall, but there's polystyrene sheet in the middle of it, which doesn't seem to occupy the whole cavity.

Is it still possible to do cavity wall insulation with some kind of injected material with that, or would we have to resort to external wall insulation?

It's painted external plaster ..... block ...... cavity .... layer of polystyrene.... block ... internal plaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

If it would help I can send you the name of a company I would recommend you don't go within a mile of?? They made an awful mess of my external insulation and I had to get it totally redone. They are still listed on the SEI website and I don't want anyone else to go through the same stress and expense that I did.

Hi S Connor would you mind sending me the name of the company to avoid. My elderly mother is thinking of getting the external wall insulation and has had quotes from 2 contractors - one recommends removing soffits and bringing insulation up to attic whereas the other says its not necessary.
    Neither have mentioned bringing it down to the footings or below ground level although research I've done would say otherwise.

They didn't include ewi up the chimneys either just a render over them to match the rest of the house - but would this not create a cold bridge?

Any info that you think would help me would be greatly appreciated its a 4 bed detached, pebble dash in Dublin built in the mid 1940's.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 canice

I got my home insulated with <Charter Breach Removed>. They were very good and gave me very excellent advise all the way. They would call me running late and even cleaned my windows after they were done. The main reason I am replying to your tread is his workmen are so friendly and a few of my eldery neighbours commented on how nice and courtest their were as they passed up and down.
    The owner is a easy going guy and well recommended.
    Pm me if u want more details.
    Teresa

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭S Connor

PM sent

jussayeh wrote: »
    Hi S Connor would you mind sending me the name of the company to avoid. My elderly mother is thinking of getting the external wall insulation and has had quotes from 2 contractors - one recommends removing soffits and bringing insulation up to attic whereas the other says its not necessary.
    Neither have mentioned bringing it down to the footings or below ground level although research I've done would say otherwise.

They didn't include ewi up the chimneys either just a render over them to match the rest of the house - but would this not create a cold bridge?

Any info that you think would help me would be greatly appreciated its a 4 bed detached, pebble dash in Dublin built in the mid 1940's.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thomasjfarrell

PM sent

Hi S Connor would you also PM me the name of the company to avoid and the name of the company that redid your external insulation if you don't mind, thanks. We are looking a buying a bungalow built in the 1070's with cavity blocks so it's either internal or external insulation and I'm vearing towards external.

How has the external insulation worked out for you over time. Are you still happy with it? Thanks for the help.

Hi S Connor would you also PM me the name of the company to avoid and the name of the company that redid your external insulation if you don't mind, thanks. We are looking a buying a bungalow built in the 1070's with cavity blocks so it's either internal or external insulation and I'm vearing towards external.

How has the external insulation worked out for you over time. Are you still happy with it? Thanks for the help.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sadly this thread has just turned into one of those "PM me" and "PM sent" repetitive collection of posts which has all but killed what was supposed to be a discussion. Accordingly I'm locking this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement