Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why have I lost my encryption?

Options
  • 03-12-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    at my wits ends here. upgraded my PC recently, which was fairly fraught in it itself (the embarassement can be seen here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055748225 ).
    Everything ticking along nicely now apart from my wireless connection. Never had a problem with it before, now I can only manage it with it totally open.
    It wasn't best secured before (WEP), and even best protocols are fairly unsecure, but now I can't even make the pretence at securing it and my SO is desperate for xmas shopping tomorrow.

My setup is a fairly old and bogstandard ralink PCI wireless card, a linksys wag54gs plugged in to an ntl cable modem. It worked fine for years using WEP, now I can only access the interweb over unencrypted.

I'm going mad unplugging the linksys from the cable box to the PC and trying settings only to have to start all over again.

Any suggestions where I should focus the blame/recheck my assumptions?
    TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The linksys wag54gs is a wireless router with a dsl modem built in. This is not the ideal way to have a wireless network with the ntl supplied modem. The optimum would be what's known as a wireless cable modem such as the linksys wrt54gl which is often recommended here.

However that does not explain why you are having your current problem. Is your pci card 'g' or 'b' standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi, no it's not ideal, but an inheritance of my earlier time with dsl broadband. The frustrating thing is that it worked no bother for over a year with current router, card and physical location.
    The card is g I'm fairly sure, I'll check when I get home.
    I've asked around and a few heads mutter about signal strength. Whenever I look at it with various diagnostics it looks grand to my untutored eye.
    Is encrypted traffic less fault tolerant than open ie. is it worth sticking the pc and router beside each other (may as well just to be sure)?

Advertisement