Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which rank outsiders will you be supporting at WC2010?

• 04-12-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Ghana? Honduras? North Korea?

I'm personally going for New Zealand.
    The All Whites (that's right, they wear white, not black) have qualified for their first World Cup since 1982. Surely this will waken the sleeping giants, and they are bound to strike fear into the hearts of the worlds mightiest footballing nations.

Even a quick glance down their squad list will have Spain, Brazil and Holland quaking in their Adidas Predators. Ivan Vicelich? Shane Smeltz? Michael McGlinchey? I can hear Mssrs Iniesta, Gerrard and Kaka nibbling at their nails as I type.

But they're not even their New Zealands mightiest warriors. Well known on these shores is the mighty Ryan Nelson, stalward of Blackburn Rovers defence, and engine behind their quest to conquer the Carling Cup. Surely he is the man to keep Drogba, Torres and Rooney on a tight leash?

And of course Rory Fallon is New Zealand latest hero, having grabbed the goal that secured their place in the final against Bahrain. Fallon plies his trade for mighty championship outfit Plymouth Argyle. Plymouth, currently occupying the lofty 23rd place in the championship, paid the unprecedented fee of £300,000 for Fallon in 2007, and he has returned their faith with a mighty haul of 16 goals since then, averaging a goal every 6 and half games. Mighty. Surely he will be unstopable this summer?

So lets hear it for the All Whites, let hope they can show us that they are a mighty at their Rugby Union brothers.

Who will you be following? Perhaps Boards can adopt a team? If so make your proposal here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Outsiders? They won't have a chance of winning though? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

England.

Seriously though, Slovenia. They being the only unseeded team to make it through the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Anyone but France tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ivory coast since their flag is ours backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Going to go for the Kiwis for pure novelty's sake.

• Advertisement

Being the occupiers of an as-yet-unauthorized 33rd berth would qualify as being an rank outsider wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mexico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

France, not because they're outsiders, but because they are rank. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I really fancy Serbia this time round. Very strong side and extremely difficult to beat. See how tomorrow fairs out for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

North Korea. If they could some how draw the USA and then actually beat them the post gam Kim Jong Il bull**** will be amazing

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    North Korea. If they could some how draw the USA and then actually beat them the post gam Kim Jong Il bull**** will be amazing
    N.Koreans aren't allowed watch it live, the games will be edited to show them as the better team and the crowd noise will be replaced. Be funny seeing them beaten and coming across as the better side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Which rank outsiders will I be supporting?
    Ireland of course. The biggest rank outsider there is in WC2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bubs101 wrote: »

he's not allowing live coverage of the games in north korea, and will only transmit the games if they win. so if they beat the USA it'll be serious celebrations there. they'll be made out as if they won the whole tournament once they beat the imperialist aggressors!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Feck outsiders.Spain or England to win it.God knows both are due

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's all about the Socceroos. Quarter final spot is a realistic chance with a nice draw.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's all about the Socceroos. Quarter final spot is a realistic chance with a nice draw.
    They were robbed by Italy last time out weren't they?

G'wan Socceroo's so, think I remember being sick for them. Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Last min peno if i recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CHD wrote: »
    They were robbed by Italy last time out weren't they?

G'wan Socceroo's so, think I remember being sick for them. Am I right?

Yep Fabio Grosso went down easier than a cheap Thai hooker for a last minute peno. It was a challenge Lucas Neill didnt really need to make but i was a disgraceful dive. Best game of the last World Cup for me was the game against Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Australia.

It's hard for me to say this, but Grosso had no choice other than to go down. Anyone would have.

Yep Fabio Grosso went down easier than a cheap Thai hooker for a last minute peno. It was a challenge Lucas Neill didnt really need to make but i was a disgraceful dive. Best game of the last World Cup for me was the game against Japan.

That was one of worst parts of the WC for me...apart for the other piece of Italian cheating later on, of course. Oz are one those teams I like to do well also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Argentina :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Germany... biggest outsiders for a lot of people very 4 years, and they still somehow always manage to get to the Semis or Finals with an abolsute mediocre team. What's not to admire about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Algeria.

North Korea.

I hope they have South Korea and USA in their group.

Literally "The group of Death" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

rarnes1 wrote: »
    North Korea.

I hope they have South Korea and USA in their group.

Literally "The group of Death" :D

they wont have S Korea anyway as teams from the same region wont be in the same group unless they are seeded.

N Korea v USA would be good to see though.

Outsiders...I would like to see one of the African nations get a good run in the tourney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Are FIFA going to hold an enquiry into it? maybe they should have offered Australia a fifth semi final place:D

I will be keeping an eye out for the Ivory Coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Japan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Nigeria - Go on the Super Eagles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I hate when underdogs get far, I like to see clash of the titans at the big competitions!

But I do like Mexico and would be good to see an African team do well such as the Ivory Coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

New Zealand for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Ireland dont go to the WC what I do usually is just run my hand up and down a list of eams and pick that team, ended up with Paraguay in 06 and 98 got Croatia.

This year i'll probaly get North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Slovenia all the way, only team to say Fook You to FIFA and qualify- Plus there's only 2mil of them

Ush1 wrote: »
    I hate when underdogs get far, I like to see clash of the titans at the big competitions!

Don't worry, you will. Unto eternity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Uruguay for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

USA and Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

NZ and Chile. Vamos Chile!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Xavi, that was not a dive by Grosso, just one of the worst tackles I've ever seen from an intelligent defender standpoint. He put his whole body right infront of Grosso after he missed the tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That was a blatant dive by Grosso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Serbia and the USA is who I'll be supporting. Would like Australia to do well as I have family there but I've never really felt any attachment to the country. Slovenia as somebody above says are carrying the mantle for the unseeded Euro teams so I hope they do well.

More than likely I'll just pick my favourites on a game to game basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Mexico....they have always been my favourite outside team. I always support them. Just wondering why they are not amongst the top seeds for today's draw. They are in pot 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DenMan wrote: »
    Mexico....they have always been my favourite outside team. I always support them. Just wondering why they are not amongst the top seeds for today's draw. They are in pot 2.

They aren't rated above England in the Fifa rankings, that's how the top seeds are picked and then split geographically.

plus Mexico are crap now

Advertisement