Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to download free maps?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have currently have a cheapy Satnav with UK & Ireland maps.

Will be in Spain in 2 weeks time and would love to get some European maps for it if at all possible.

Money won't stretch to a new Satnav this year I'm afraid and I was just wondering if it's possibly to download some free European maps and load them onto the SD card in my Satnav - would this work?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

What make & model sat nav do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Heya!

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me :)

It's a RAC 200 - Route 66 Model with "Navteq on board" whatever that means.. :o

There is OpenStreetMap, which may be of use. I'm not sure how to get these maps onto a Route66 device, but there does seem to be plenty of advice/help on the website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got myself an updated set of routable OSM maps from here.

robinph wrote: »
    Just got myself an updated set of routable OSM maps from here.

I don't think the Garmin OSM maps will work in the RAC 200, as it's a Route66 product, which (I think) uses Navigon software. I'd expect at least the file names will be different?

There are ways of converting OSM maps to suite the RAC 200, or any model, but I've never done it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement