Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External power for a projector

• 04-12-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I need some sort of external power supply for a projector. I want to project images but wont be near a socket so need power. ive heard a projector runs from 800-1800 watts but not sure. I need something small and quite and hopefully not expensive. A generator or something.
    Anyone have any ideas.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

How long would you need the power source to run the projector for?
    Also assume you are using a notebook with the source media?

A decent sized UPS would do the job but you won't get much more than an hour out of a home sized unit. If you need it for longer you are looking at the more industrial types.

APC.com have a handy calculator to help you select the kind of battery requirements you might need;

Try here

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AFin

Emm...a hour would do if I can then recharge it. A few hours would be great but dont want an industrial one.
    Yeah Id be connecting a laptop to project the image. I think you can get projectors with USb drives.
    Thanks Ill check it out. What does UPS stand for?
    I was thinking of a car battery charger but dont think this would be enough power.

Uninterruptible power supply - These are mostly used in server environments and are designed to provide sufficient power for admin's to be able to migrate core services or shut down the hardware safely, thus minimising damage and maintaining uptime in the event of a short power outage.
    They can certainly be recharged but they are designed to be connected to mains constantly. So if it drains it could take some time to recharge fully.

I think in order for people to offer you further and more solid advice, we would need to fully understand what you are trying to do and with what equipment.

I basically want to be able to power a projector outside. Dont need to power the laptop. Ill be projecting images in open places so need some sort of power.
    Something I can plug the projector into. Its to project images for viewing and taking photos of.

AFin wrote: »
    I basically want to be able to power a projector outside. Dont need to power the laptop. Ill be projecting images in open places so need some sort of power.
    Something I can plug the projector into. Its to project images for viewing and taking photos of.

Projector spec's, model would be good to know as some consume more power than others.
    UPS is probably the way to go I'd say, but it will cost you for something that will last an hour or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

rent a jenny + transformer, Id say it would work out about 1/5th of the price of a UPS.

whats a jenny + transformer?
    do u know where Id get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Generator sorry, any plant hire shop will give you adivse on the ideal size generator most now come with both 110v and 220v power outlets.

Advertisement