Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing Long Kesh Prision

• 04-12-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi
    Anyone know how to get into long kesh prision to photograph it. Ive tried various things. Need to get in touch with someone on the inside or who has contacts.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hasn't it all been razed at this point?

I know someone who is doing soil analysis at the moment (checking for contaminants). Which would generally indicate the site has been all but cleared.

H-Blocks are still there I think

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AFin wrote: »
    Hi
    Anyone know how to get into long kesh prision to photograph it. Ive tried various things. Need to get in touch with someone on the inside or who has contacts.
    Thanks

Gerry Kelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Don't know how much is still there but I'd really appreciate copies of any pics you get.

Lot of my family were there - my dad, at least 5 of my uncles (dirty and hunger protesters). They collectively spent about 80 years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AFin

alot of it has been knocked down. Thats why it is hard to get access. There is one professional photographer who gets access though. there was plans for a football stadium and a memorial site but has been scraped. Can get onto the grounds but dont want to trespass.

and Promac you are a legend. Im working on a project which is about the prision/strikers/troubles. You have to give me some info or an interview if your up for it.

humberklog do you know if its possible to get access, maybe with this person. Would like access during nightfall/dark for photos but the day would still be amazing.

• Advertisement

Sure he's based in a lab. Soil samples are extracted by engineer and sent to him. He doesn't have need to be there and certainly not at night time. You'd find very little construction activity on a site at night time.

humberklog....
    that would be great if could get in contact with him for me. Get access to the site or get a word in for me. And it would be great to meet with him and possibly chat/take photos of these samples and his lab. I know there wouldnt be any work done at night, thats what I want.

You want pics of soil samples?

I think you mis-read my post: my friend doesn't visit the site, he's a scientist (of sorts, more like a 'bot with aspirations), he has the samples delivered by courrier to the lab, then he tests them for contamination, then sends results back to whoever's interested. He can, but doesn't do site visits (unless ordered by a bigger 'bot).

I know it sounds a bit mad but this sounds interesting and would be of use to my project. Is ok about the site access.
    As I cant get in I can photo the soil, lol
    It would be good though. It shows the development of the site

Well if you PM me on all your details and quickly detail exactly why and what you're going to use the pics for and where these pics are going to end up. Political and social affiliations if any will be required.
    He's in Enniskillen (or somewhere near there anyway).

• Advertisement

Yeah, thats great, I will
    Emm...how do I PM you. Im new to this.
    And thanks alot for your help, is much appreciated

Click on my name and then click on "send private message" two columns down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When I was trying to get access I was told to write the office of 1st deputy and 1st minster. Not sure if the prison service are in charge, might try them though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Promac wrote: »
    Don't know how much is still there but I'd really appreciate copies of any pics you get.

Lot of my family were there - my dad, at least 5 of my uncles (dirty and hunger protesters). They collectively spent about 80 years there.

80 years. tragic.

Advertisement