Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inset stove or free standing???

Options
  • 04-12-2009 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hope someone can help shed some light...
    Is there much difference in efficiency/value between a cast iron stove that is built-in (like Mulberry Stoker 6.5kW Multifuel Insert Stove) and a smiliar stove that sits out from the wall in the fireplace?
    Seems the freestanding fire would have more heat as the cast iron stove itself acts like a giant radiator.

ANyone got an inset stove? Love to hear the argument for/against?
    Bottom line, which should I spend my money on???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The inset are more popular now, and more 'modern' looking. A lot of people would be going for the gas burning type than a wood burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Freestanding would be more efficient. There are some very modern looking free standing stoves from the likes of Austroflamm. http://www.austroflamm.com/en/Produkte/Kaminoefen/index.html

I think a good quality free standing stove adds a very nice focal point to a room.

Inset stoves are Ok but the need to be fan forced to have decent efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

My friend has an insert and i have a free standing unit.
    Both models are the same.
    He is kicking himself every time he visits me.
    He has nowhere near the heat output that my free standing stove has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most stoves work by radiant heat, There are a few exceptions such as the Morso stoves that have convection panels on them.
    A freestanding stove will have much greater radiant area than an inset.
    The top, back and two sides and front as opposed to the front of an inset.
    No contest.

Advertisement