Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry potential December 09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

seems to me like the uk will get a big hit in eastern parts? will it spread west to effect us at all?

UK would get the most of it but we would get our own showers once that cold air makes it way over the Irish Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 yansnow

it will b cold alrite by next sun night the whole country the thing now is precipitation mostly confined in the eastern and northern areas.as for snow i would say first snow flurries maybe monday night or tuesday.

12Z GFS is fine within the reliable timeframe, a slight unpgrade for early next week, but after that it isn't too exciting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

12Z GFS is fine within the reliable timeframe, a slight unpgrade for early next week, but after that it isn't too exciting...

Yeah I see that the GFS is still having trouble getting to grips with things after wed/thur but that could all change with the 18z

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowmageddon on the cards for Monday on the east coast if the 00z is to be believed....exciting times...

2009121000H108_UK00_850.gif

2009121000H108_UK00_SFC.gif

[edit]doh..thats the 00z![/edit]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

rain always spread from west to east?! any chance the reverse can happen with the snow? have a bad feeling us in the west will be watching with envy at our eastern breathern like earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Min wrote: »
    Metcheck is funny, for next wednesday, show showers with winds blowing at 335mph gusting to 402mph, must be a part Jupiter weather forecast thrown in there.
    :D

Metcheck I find is usually very inaccurate even without obvious errors like that.

to illustrate:

98591.JPG

12Z ECM and GFS not in agreement at 120hr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

UKMO 12z keeps it cool and crisp at 120hrs to 144hrs:

Rukm1441-2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Oh i have a big headache and it seems the models are reaching for the aspirin too.

i feel like not looking at another run till monday.(Not gonna happen).

Well at least we know it is going to get cold.

Alot has to fall right however to get any chance of an epic snow event
    (Of which i can NOT see happening at the moment but fingers crossed)

Wintry showers(some prolonged) will effect eastern regions as the colder 850 temps progress over the irish sea to us.

Oh dear, a poor 12Z ECM run....The High doesnt move up, hangs around and then sinks.

Totally different to the GFS and UKMO.... :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like its all falling apart fast (this happens most of the time), thankfully I did'nt warn anyone of snow next week. Still some cool dry and sunny weather for the next week will be a very welcome change from all this rain.

ECM is disgraceful for any precip with the high making a home for itself around ireland but im counting on it to move nw to give a more unstable easterly flow later.(Alot of finger crossing going on now:o)

ECM seems a bit odd to me, but disappointing all the same. Hopes on that Arctic Canadian High in the 168hrs range will suck in our rapidly sinking high and spur on a real Arctic blast.

Meanwhile, here is the 240hr chart:

Recm2401.gif
    God damn :rolleyes:

I'm glad I didn't get my ticket for the rollercoaster...:pac:

Having said that, all hope is not lost, GFS and UKMO are both looking good and we haven't seen the ECM ensembles from this run yet.

Hopefully the 18Z GFS will cheer us up a bit tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ecm is horrible, anticyclonic gloom for the east, the west might have nice crisp clear days though.

The ECM evolution does look the most rational right now i have to say, but more runs needed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Hey lads don't loose faith just yet, its just the ecm that is not playing ball, gfs and ukmo are still on board and the ecm has been the most unreliable of them all
    over the last few days

And met eireann forecast at six didn't say snow once, which is always a good sign ;)

I normally wouldn't say this but i think ECM is pants at the moment because the teleconnections say so.

A very strong negative AO meaning greenland high.

Im a bit stumped to me honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

98608.jpg

At least there was no queue and I can see some snow on the mountain tops from up here :(

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    98608.jpg

At least there was no queue and I can see some snow on the mountain tops from up here :(

LOL :) hows Lucan looking from up there?

Jake1 wrote: »
    LOL :) hows Lucan looking from up there?

You don't want to know.
    Btw, you should really close your curtains before doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

I am not at all sad about the runs that came out today. What is important is that the TREND is set: the next two weeks are certainly going to be frosty and cold and there is good potential for some snowfalls.

Enough said.:cool:

True. Maybe the 18z will cheer me up.

8 to 14 Day 500mb OutlookValid: December 18 2009 to December 24 2009
    Updated: 10 Dec 2009
    814day.03.gif

THIS shows beautiful greenland high so what the hell is going on people.

Nice chart. ECM 500's don't seem to be so keen though:

msl_uv850_z500%21Geopotential%20500%20hPa%21192%21Europe%21pop%21od%21oper%21public_plots%212009121012%21%21chart.gif

Either the ECM has latched onto something or this evening's run is a massive outlier. All eyes on the 18z and 00hr runs tomorrow. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oh dear, a poor 12Z ECM run....The High doesnt move up, hangs around and then sinks.

Totally different to the GFS and UKMO.... :(

yes and unfortunately the ecm seems to get it right more often than the GFS.
    Ah well having being here so many times before i was expecting a downgrade, but still it's disappointing

forecast_2_nh.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Well with these teleconnections all favouring blocking im gonna sit back now for a while and just see what pans out.

NOAA favors the GFS over the ECM today :)

18Z rolling out soon, hope it's a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

While the downgrades have been very dissapointing, I never believed in the original fantasy chart snowstorm scenario or this downgrade, anything can happen yet all this stuff is still a week away which is a long time, only when something comes within a 24 hour timeframe I get excited and if it doesnt work out then the real dissapointment hits, no loss's so far really as everything was so far away. Let's just wait and see what happens, by next sunday we'll know more how everything will play out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement