Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry potential December 09

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Just for fun, here is a chart from the epic February 86:

Rrea00119860205.gif

Very similar to the ECM 120hrs chart posted above. Feb 86' was possibly the last winter month in Ireland to have inland stations to finish up with a negative monthly mean temp. :)

haha i doubt that will ever happen we need -5c maxes to get the average down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Hey have you looked at latest 00z ECM run in fi,words can not hardly describe:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No major upset with the 06Z GFS, very close to the 0Z for most of the reliable timeframe.

GFS (P) is fine too and extends the cold spell all the way through its run.

Met Eireann on very early stages of what could be a long cold spell:
    MONDAY NIGHT will be very cold with a hard frost developing as temperatures fall below freezing. Some mist and fog patches will form also. TUESDAY will be another very cold day with frost and fog slow to clear and some sunny spells developing. However, a little patchy rain or sleet is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

No major upset with the 06Z GFS, very close to the 0Z for most of the reliable timeframe.

GFS (P) is fine too and extends the cold spell all the way through its run.

Are you using the the parallell runs from net weather?

K.

• Advertisement

I already have my snow boots by the door. In my mind, we are getting snow :)

Jake1 wrote: »
    I already have my snow boots by the door. In my mind, we are getting snow :)

Postive thinking :)

Kippure wrote: »
    Are you using the the parallell runs from net weather?

K.

No, on Meteociel. I believe it will be the new operational starting next week.

Check out 252 hrs on the parallel, ECM was hinting at this too....I know its very deep in FI but.... :

2la3qdu.png

:eek::eek::eek:

Kippure wrote: »
    Postive thinking :)

yep, that and I feel it in me aul bones :):)

No, on Meteociel. I believe it will be the new operational starting next week.

Check out 252 hrs on the parallel, ECM was hinting at this too....I know its very deep in FI but.... :

2la3qdu.png

:eek::eek::eek:

My God. Though i think some thing like this will occur once the cold arrives, the models will change a bit and interpurt the new data, in other words a model is run, "its data is updated to reflect the latest conditions".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I don't think i've ever seen such an uncertainty in the ensembles at only about 24 hours out! Really shows how out of their depth the models are atm:p
    98707.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Last nights sea forecast incase any of yous want to see it.
    Weather.mpg - 50.81MB

trogdor wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever seen such an uncertainty in the ensembles at only about 24 hours out! Really shows how out of their depth the models are atm:p
    98707.png

Wow, all of the ensembles below the 30 year average from 15th to the 21st and the mean never rises above 0. Messy looking but still...

Encouraging stuff from the latest UKMO 15 day forecast for those of us that dream of cold and wintry instead of mild and murky Christmas'.
    From Monday (21st) until Boxing Day (26th) it looks like staying cold with further wintry showers.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Encouraging stuff from the latest UKMO 15 day forecast for those of us that dream of cold and wintry instead of mild and murky Christmas'.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Good stuff, but wait till the christmas period and the ranting and raving of missing data over the christmas period. Will there or wont there be a break down? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just listening to the met eireann forecast on the radio they are saying a dusting of snow for eastern counties on Tuesday and Wednesday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

Just listening to the met eireann forecast on the radio they are saying a dusting of snow for eastern counties on Tuesday and Wednesday:)

Did they say only on high ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

snow plow wrote: »
    Did they say only on high ground?

No mention of higher ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 snow plow

No mention of higher ground

That's a good sign. :D

Dan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Couldn't have been Gerry Murphy then? The only time the word snow can pass his lips is when it's in the same sentence as higher ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The lunch time weather brought to you by Pangea :)Weather lunchtime.mpg - 47.66MB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Anyone thinking about betting on the Dublin white Christmas? 5/1 sound good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Couldn't have been Gerry Murphy then? The only time the word snow can pass his lips is when it's in the same sentence as higher ground.

He just said on the 6pm news sleet and snow on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The forum over at Netweather.tv seems to have crumpled under the load. Good sign, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I know we need a DP of 0 & I know we need precipitation & I know we need cold temperatures but what else do we need to make it snow . I follow Brayweather.com so what else do I need to be watching for ( apart from snow flakes!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Will the snow (if it comes) just affect the East?? Pretty upsetting if we don't get a thing over this way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

12Z GFS gives a decent snow event for most of the country next Friday/Saturday, with up to 9mm liquid-equivalent lying snow by 00Z Sunday 20th..
    (also shown is the 0°C level, in metres)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

thats more like it can you gimmie the link for that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

owenc wrote: »
    thats more like it can you gimmie the link for that???

http://www.wetter3.de/animation.html (Select Mitteleuropa and 0°C-Grenze, Akkumulierter Schnee)

Also the Friday 12Z GFS sounding for Dublin looks good.....plenty of moisture with dewpoints just below zero...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Gonna close this thread up as it seems to have run it's course, follow on here for now.
    jenzz wrote: »
    I know we need a DP of 0 & I know we need precipitation & I know we need cold temperatures but what else do we need to make it snow . I follow Brayweather.com so what else do I need to be watching for ( apart from snow flakes!)

Well from the dewpoint (which is a measure of temperature and humidty) there isn't much more to look out for in terms of current conditions. A wind from the West is handy on the coast as you won't have the warmth coming in off the sea. Other wise in terms of charts, you'd be looking for 850hpa temps below -5C (example of chart) at least and air thickness below 528dam (example of chart) and all charts can be found here :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement