Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Speech by Diane Savino NY State Senate on Gay Marriage

Options
  • 04-12-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

This is unreal,check it out

''Out of yesterday's NY state gay marriage setback has emerged a new icon: Sen. Diane Savino, whose brilliant, off-the-cuff speech in favor of same-sex marriage has made her an overnight internet star.''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Cracker of a speech. Fair play to her - pity it didn't work, but major kudos for trying, and trying so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

An excellent speech, she conveys the point so simply and with no reference to political ideology just pure common sense and decency it is a little disappointing that it failed to carry the motion. Oh well on the battle goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

What makes it even better is that she's straight (I presume).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I thought the speech was great. Same arguments but very well made.

Indeed. She needs to lose just a tiny bit of weight, but I can't believe she's over 40.
    1. Not gay
    2. It's not inherently misogynistic to comment on someone's appearence (although in some circumstances it may be), and it certainly isn't when you are responding to someone else.
    3. It's not ageism to notice that people tend to get less attractive as they age.
    I don't normally agree with The Minister in this forum, but Jesus, get off your high horses, what he said was perfectly reasonable.

A woman makes an incredibly intelligent, insightful and powerful speech relating to the times we live in and the response is "needs to loose a little weight".In essence you're saying, sorry darling, no matter how much you prove yourself, a woman will always be just a pair of tits and an ass.

Of course it isn't "inherently misogynistic" thats besides the point. A comment can be misogynistic without being inherently so. Your comment does my head in, and not because I'm some bra burning feminist, but because you're not treating a decent human with even the tinniest bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Off-topic posts regarding Miss Savino's appearance deleted. Start a thread in After Hours or somewhere if you want to discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Fantastic speech, and it's such a shame that it wasn't enough to sway opinions. Every single Republican senator voting on that bill voted NO, while 8 Democrats also voted NO. A very sad state of affairs, in a state which is well out of the Bible Belt in the Deep South and is supposedly a liberal/progressive state. It's like Proposition 8 of the east coast. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Surprising result, given the state's proximity to liberal New England, and the status of NYC as a global city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

That was a brilliant speech. Go her :)

Advertisement