Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - making an offer?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked a million times before, but myself and the better half are thinking of renting in the near future.

Can you make an offer as to what you'd pay per month to rent a particular house or is the prices you see on daft.ie and in Estate agents the Final price and you take it or leave it?

If you can make an offer, what kinda price could you drop lets say on a €1000 a month?

Appreciate any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Always Always Always haggle, in the bad times and the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

i work in sales, and i must admit i'm a very poor buyer. I accept what i'm asked 9times out of 10 without haggling.

But for something that i may be tied down to for over a year, i'm going to try and get the best house i can for the least money.

I suppose it would depend on the location of the house, demand and condition as to whether the letting aganet or landlord will drop much from their asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

whycliff wrote: »
    This has probably been asked a million times before, but myself and the better half are thinking of renting in the near future.

Can you make an offer as to what you'd pay per month to rent a particular house or is the prices you see on daft.ie and in Estate agents the Final price and you take it or leave it?

If you can make an offer, what kinda price could you drop lets say on a €1000 a month?

Appreciate any help offered.

Always haggle and mention to the landlord that it would take some time to recoup a month or two lost rent if their property remained empty and that an empty property does not pay their mortgage...............try to find out how long his/her property has been empty........the longer its been empty the more chance they will be open to yr offer, if its been empty a while,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You could be there for a year so haggle!
    Senna wrote: »
    Always Always Always haggle, in the bad times and the good.

I remember the bad times for renters anyway.
    Go view a property and 10 other prospective tenants there and people had the deposit in cash to pay if the place was anyway decent

And students in Galway would queue for 2-3 hours to get the accommodation list from The Galway Advertiser, not daft.ie back then
    Bad times and not even that long ago :(

mikemac wrote: »
    You could be there for a year so haggle!

I remember the bad times for renters anyway.
    Go view a property and 10 other prospective tenants there and people had the deposit in cash to pay if the place was anyway decent

And students in Galway would queue for 2-3 hours to get the accommodation list from The Galway Advertiser, not daft.ie back then
    Bad times and not even that long ago :(

Probably very true, but in my (rural) area i've never paid the full advertised price for a rental,but there hasn't been a shortage of rental accommodation in Letterkenny since the early 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it defintly worth it.

Rented a new place at the start of October.

LL looking for 1200, offered 1000, settled at 1075 which was our real target anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Hi all, this is just the thread i've been looking for and hoping i wouldnt have to start! Thinking about renting a house advertised on daft for 725pm. It has been up there at least 3 months so i'd imagine they must be getting desperate. How low do you reckon i could get them? If i could argue them down to 650 i would be happy enough with that. Unless anyone thinks i could get a bit more off. I could be in a position to offer a sweetener (deposit plus first 2 or 3 months up front in cash) depending on how low i could offer. Is there any rough percentage guide as to how much you can haggle off?

I remember the bad times myself, queuing outside draughty damp apartments with people brandishing wads of notes, showing up at the advertised time to be told someone came early and gave a deposit, tough luck. Its great to have the shoe on the other foot now!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd be a bit cheeky and offer 600-625. If they say not offer higher, or they may come back with a counter offer. of around the 650 anyway. don't start too high though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

should you always offer below what you want to pay so they can offer something higher? i'm looking at a place,studio apartment supposedly with a shared bedroom,530 a month in cabra with bills included. Its been on market since october,i would like it for 400.

I figure it's on the market since october,it wont be rented in janurary cos barely anyone rents just after xmas. Should i offer 350 and let them offer 400 if they are interested tbh i'm in a decent situation in that i want it for 400 if i dont get it the place i wouldnt mind.

If your putting it a low offer it best to start by saying positive things, "i'm in permanent full time employment, it've been renting for X years and NEVER give any problems to my last landlords (references?), i can pay by direct debit etc". If you can offer to pay 2/3 months in advance, its always a good ploy to get the landlord to bite at a low offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement