Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Sausage McMuffin - Patties

Options
  • 04-12-2009 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I havnt been up early enough in the last while to catch one of these bad boys.

does anyone know where you can buy the sausage patties or at least how to make them? theres a few dodgy vids on youtube saying ask your butcher for a mix of 80% pork mince and 20% fat.

anyway i need one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

you could alway just remove the meat from sausages put it into a patty shape, and just fry it up or else make a pork burger the same way you'd make a beef burger, just replacing the meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'm engineering the same thing myself.

For the patty use the minced pork that you buy in the supermarket. Season it with salt, pepper and sage. Mix in an egg with the meat and then chill before frying, or else they will fall apart.

Fry the eggs in an egg ring, bearing in mind that the egg is a bit smaller in circumference than the sausage patty and quite a bit thicker.

For the muffins go to M&S. They sell "All Butter Muffins", which come in a pack of four for a euro or so and are a very similar equivalent to the McDonalds muffin.

For the cheese use Easi Singles - they're ghastly - but that's what they use (albeit probably Kraft Singles), otherwise buy some slices of mild cheddar.

I have a link somewhere from a guy who used to run a McDonalds franchise. I'll post it when I find it again.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

...or for the sausage bit you could just buy some superquin sausage burgers which are made from their own sausage meat and so are pretty good.

Hi Maple

You could do that, and it would be delish, but it wouldn't be a Sausage McMuffin. I guess American sausage is not as finely minced as "our" sausages, which are kind of like pate. The McDonalds Sausage McMuffin is made from minced pork (which has a similar consistency to minced beef) with no added fat (as you mentioned, OP). The seasoning is salt, pepper and sage.

Little Alex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

I guess i shouldn't argue with a connoisseur, enjoy. :)

I'm with Alex on this. I'm gonna make them tonight and report back.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

With christmas coming sausage meat is readily available in supermarkets. I always buy it on christmas eve when they are selling it off for next to nothing and make burgers. But this sausage meat will have the filler husk etc in it.

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/Our-Food/Ingredients-Listing.aspx?p=Sausage%20and%20Egg%20McMuffin
    English Muffin
    Flour, Water, Yeast, Maize Grits, Ground Rice, Wheat Gluten, Sugar, Salt, Vegetable Oil, Soya Flour, Dough Acidifier, Wheat Fibre, Preservative : Calcium Propionate E282, Emulsifiers E471, E472(e), Acidity Regulator: Tartaric Acid E334.
    Flour Treatment Agent : Ascorbic Acid, E300
    Processing Aids: Emulsifier E472(e), Ascorbic acid (E 300), Mono Calcium Phosphate, Ammonium Sulphate, Gluten, Calcium Silicate E552.

Egg
    Free Range Eggs

Pork Patty
    Pork (97%) Salt, Dextrose, Herb and Herb Extract, Glucose Syrup, Spice, Yeast Extract

Cheddar Cheese
    Vegetarian Cheddar Cheese (55%), Water, butter, Whey powder, Milk Proteins, Natural Cheese Flavouring, Emulsifying salts E331(trisodium citrate), E450 (diphosphates), E452 (polyphosphates), salt, preservative E200 (sorbic acid) and colour E160(a) (natural carotenes) E160(c) (paprika extract). Processing Aids: Lecithins (E322), Vegetable oil (Rape seed oil - component in lecithin which we spray on slice surface) , Citric acid E330.

Butter
    Vegetable Oils, Water, Butteroil, Buttermilk Powder, Salt (0.6%), Emulsifiers: Mono- and Di-glycerides of Fatty Acids (E471), Citric Acid Esters of Mono- and Di-glycerides (E472c), Sodium Steroyl Lactylate (E481). Flavour, Colour: Beta-Carotene (E160a).

I have just liquidised pork chops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'm engineering the same thing myself.

For the cheese use Easi Singles - they're ghastly - but that's what they use (albeit probably Kraft Singles), otherwise buy some slices of mild cheddar.

I
    Enjoy

Bwahahahahahahaha. :):)

Its true though, using slices can be better than the best cheddar block for burgers and McMuffins. Don't ask me why.

I have the meat, but I didn't make them yesterday. I made this instead.

http://www.greatfood.ie/item_display.asp?cde=2&id=690

• Advertisement

I threw my egg in with the mix and if anything it made the mix more loose. I take it something happens in the fridge to make it more sticky? Failing that, I should throw some flour in, I guess.

Ok, the flour did the trick. I must say, they actually tasted like McMuffin patties, in parts. I think I didn't add enough Sage, so maybe next time.

Yeah, adding egg will make it wetter, but you only need to add a little bit. A single egg would probably be enough for 10 sausage patties. I don't think the real ones use egg. They probably use some sort of artificial binding material instead.

One thing I forgot to add is that you break the yolk after you put the egg in the egg ring.

Sorry, I meant to get around to this before now, but I made some this morning.

Thank you, rubadub, for the ingredient list and sorry to you, Flamed Driving, for the misinformation about adding egg to the sauasage. It holds together just fine without it and so doesn't need any added egg.

When doing the egg (the one that should be there!) I would recommend covering the pan with a lid so that they also cook from the top down and not just from the bottom up. The yolk should also be broken.

Here are some photos of how they turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

just after making them myself. good eating!

Advertisement