Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn becoming very mossy

Options
  • 04-12-2009 5:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

My front lawn is becoming infested with moss, is that to be expected during the winter months??

What can i do to combat it??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

When the ground is holding water moss is more prevalent, sadly all ground is holding water at the moment :(

There are two courses of action which will help reduce moss (without resort to chemicals)
    1. Spike the lawn with a fork and rake in sharp sand
    2. Use a scarifier to remove existing moss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Use sulfate of iron they use it to green up cabbage. Don't spill it on the paths it will make them rusty looking. After a week or two the moss will blacken & you can rake it out , it will also fertilise your grass & give your grass a dark green colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I've got a similar problem with my grass, but if I killed the moss then there would only be soil left.

Its keeping my garden green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

fryup wrote: »
    Hello,

My front lawn is becoming infested with moss, is that to be expected during the winter months??

What can i do to combat it??

Thanks in advance

First things first: is this a new lawn or a well established lawn in which moss has suddenly developed? If the latter is the case, then the cause might indeed be excessive moisture due to recent wet weather. Yes you can scarify, aerate and later treat.

However if it is a relatively new lawn, and the moss is also developing, well the problem or cause might be more fundamental, ie poor drainage. You will need to do sopme exploratory digging and if the soil conditions are tough and much rubble, hardcore etc present well, you will need to remove this material before undertaking any other remedial works like aerating etc.

Some sites can be generally good for drainage except during prolonged wet spells, the latter will require annual maintenance, ie lawn sand, aeration etc etc to control or indeed prevent moss becoming a nuisance.

Lack of regular feeding (Spring/Summer and also Autumn/Winter can lead to grass areas becoming very weak and susceptible to weed, moss infestation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yekim

what's the best way of getting rid of moss on tar, probably not the best time of year to do anything about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

yekim wrote: »
    what's the best way of getting rid of moss on tar, probably not the best time of year to do anything about it

Powerwash it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Get yourself some MossGo and a sprayer, it works a treat.

Secman

Advertisement