Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skerries Notice:

Options
  • 04-12-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

From the Skerries Community Association

Information meeting re:
    Proposed Significant Development in town centre
    at Supervalu site, Church Street
    Rugby Club on Wednesday 9th December at 8 pm
    Plans available for viewing online at www.fingalcoco.ie
    All Welcome
    Be informed and be active on behalf of your town

Posted by Skerries Community Association
    Visit www.skerriesca.com
    If you don't wish to receive news updates please let us know at info@skerriesca.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Good to see, hopefully this creates some jobs for the local area during these times of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not hugely bothered about it myself. We live close by too. I'd be mostly hoping that it will clear the drunken children out of that lane since the Gardaí don't seem terribly inclined (though to be fair to them it does seem to have declined a bit of late, though I think that's largely due to supervalu knocking that eyesore of a derelict house).

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I attended the meeting last night and in most it was a well balanced discussion/debate. I was impressed to see Mr Moriarty and his Architect in attendance, just a pity that the Architect Mr Woods wasn’t allowed to talk longer on the plans then the allotted five minutes, that the chair insisted on during his set but allowed to laps during the others speakers sets.

Councillors C. Daly and David O Connor were in attendance but no sign of Tom O Leary.

I believe that this development is far too big for the centre of the town and should be scaled down so it will first complement the architectural surroundings and of course not infringe so much on the National School immediately behind it.
    The School will be completely over shadowed by the four story build and we were led to believe, that direct sunlight will never reach into the school yard again. The children’s education will be much disturbed during such a lengthy construction.

Traffic is another worry as congestion really hasn’t been taken into account, as the last engineers report was conducted back in 2004, nearly six years ago. It will take at least three years to complete the development, the underground car park been one of the major worries, as in affecting the water table and of course the removable of such a large amount of material and then the underpinning that will have to take place.

A lot of our residence were very concerned about the underpinning and construction affecting the foundations of there own dwellings and of course the imposition during construction.

Mr Moriarty stated that he would take on board every ones worries and go away and decide if he would withdraw he’s plans and go into consultation with residence or go ahead in the next few days.

My advice to all residence of Skerries would be to inform themselves of the facts, go into the Fingal planning site: Info above:

The 17th of December 2009 is the last day that anyone can place an objection, should they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Regardless of the rights or wrongs - one point I'd make is that the school yard would only have the sun blocked in the morning as the development is to the east. It will in no way never receive sunlight again.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Regardless of the rights or wrongs - one point I'd make is that the school yard would only have the sun blocked in the morning as the development is to the east. It will in no way never receive sunlight again.

Direct Sun light into the yard was what was stated by the school (Mrs Jenkinson). The point was put to the Architect on a number of occasions and not refuted by him or others once.

• Advertisement

Can't understand why. There will be nothing blocking the sun from the south. Architect probably didn't want to get into a squabble.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Can't understand why. There will be nothing blocking the sun from the south. Architect probably didn't want to get into a squabble.

Well as stated it really wasn't that type of a night as far a squabbling. Questions were asked and answered in turn and the School Council was making the point that, no direct sun light would enter the playground/yard due to the height of the construction/building. The Architect denied anything else that he didn't agree with and as this was one of the main objections I'm sure Mr Woods would have put us all straight.

Thinking about it maybe they meant just during school hours if that makes any sense and of course the Schools own buildings would affect sunlight too.

I’m neither on the School board or an Architect and can only relay on to people what happened and was said on that evening. Thanks HB. :)

I appreciate you passing on the info. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I'm going to object for a couple of reasons.

1) Duration of the build and the dangers associated with children (age 5 up) going by a very large development for three years. Access on lane is brutal and already can be messy at school start and finish times. Kids can too easily run out in front of construction vehicles.
    2) Totally out of character for the town and seems from the plans to be the height of the church tower. There is ample accomadation in Skerries already approved no more is required. I do no want the most obvious architecture in skerries to be apartments and shops, I thought we'd moved on from that.
    3) And this is a problematic one but the amount of balcony and windows facing onto the school I would be unhappy that it provides potential private access for people who may have an unhealthy interest in children.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

shaungil wrote: »
    I'm going to object for a couple of reasons.

1) Duration of the build and the dangers associated with children (age 5 up) going by a very large development for three years. Access on lane is brutal and already can be messy at school start and finish times. Kids can too easily run out in front of construction vehicles.
    2) Totally out of character for the town and seems from the plans to be the height of the church tower. There is ample accomadation in Skerries already approved no more is required. I do no want the most obvious architecture in skerries to be apartments and shops, I thought we'd moved on from that.
    3) And this is a problematic one but the amount of balcony and windows facing onto the school I would be unhappy that it provides potential private access for people who may have an unhealthy interest in children.

I agree with this. Well over a hundred properties have been on the market in Skerries in the past year and not more than five or six have been sold. A small cottage in Church Street was on the market last year at 250K and its now 149K.

• Advertisement
Advertisement