Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi's development in Finglas

Options
  • 04-12-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Aldi got the green light to start building an apartment complex in Finglas. For the two bedroom apartments the asking price will be between €225 000 - €235 000.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aldi-gets-the-goahead-for-apartment-development-1964030.html

Now I would not even consider renting in Finglas even if the cost was next to nothing. How are they supposed to find people willing to fork up this kind of cash to live in Finglas? It is not a very good area I hear...

How will this affect prices in Dublin? There are already alot of vacant apartments...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That area is opposite Glasnevin cemetery. Not a bad area at all. Those will sell, if the price is a bit lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Its actually not finglas, its dublin 11. Finglas begins at the turn off for the tolka valley road, that area is still glasnevin if im not mistaken

There are many areas that are given the "Finglas" label, which are not Finglas at all - Glasnevin, Charlestown, Lanesborough, Hampton Wood, Maston Hall, etc, which are lovely areas. All new developments, with new communities.

Very very different from the old view of Finglas, and very different from areas such as Finglas West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

SLUSK wrote: »
    Now I would not even consider renting in Finglas even if the cost was next to nothing. How are they supposed to find people willing to fork up this kind of cash to live in Finglas? It is not a very good area I hear...
    Those prices sound pretty unrealistic. But as others pointed out, it sounds like you are completely unfamiliar with the location. Also I doubt 90 additional apartments will have any significant impact on the larger Dublin market. So I'm not really sure what is the point of your thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Paulw wrote: »
    There are many areas that are given the "Finglas" label, which are not Finglas at all - Glasnevin, Charlestown, Lanesborough, Hampton Wood, Maston Hall, etc, which are lovely areas. All new developments, with new communities.

Very very different from the old view of Finglas, and very different from areas such as Finglas West.

Baloney.

Funny how new estates are NOT Finglas despite been in Finglas.

Also funny how Premier Dairies moved from Finglas to Glasnevin when it was converted to Premier Square.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sorry mate, but I've lived in one of the 'new' areas you mention above, and while there are plenty of actual decent people in there, we found it a hole that we were delighted to get out of. Theft, vandalism, cars up on bricks in the morning (literally), drugs, etc. Out with the old, in with the.. old.

spockety wrote: »
    Sorry mate, but I've lived in one of the 'new' areas you mention above, and while there are plenty of actual decent people in there, we found it a hole that we were delighted to get out of. Theft, vandalism, cars up on bricks in the morning (literally), drugs, etc. Out with the old, in with the.. old.

Apparently Finglas North(Charlestown, Lanesborough, Hampton Wood, Mason Hall) and Finglas East(Premier Square) moved to 'D11' and Glasnevin respectively.

Finglas is now only the West and the South, the North and East no longer exist.

Did you not get the memo? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

1. I'd never live there.
    2. Mostly industrial estates and the Charlestown, Hampton Woods etc. Not for me personally
    3. Griffith, Tolka estates etc. Not too bad but I wouldn't buy there either.
    4. The Village is grand.

I am confused as to the location of the Premier Dairies site. I remember it being near the quarry but there are already aprtments there.
    I don't remember a Premier Dairies site opposite the cemetery.
    It's just the Dublin Ind Est, the Mormons and Clare something estate.

I also feel sorry for the folks of Glasnevin if these new developments are all getting D11 Glasnevin label because they could very well be the kips of the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Zamboni wrote: »
    I am confused as to the location of the Premier Dairies site. I remember it being near the quarry but there are already aprtments there.
    It's just the Dublin Ind Est, the Mormons and Clare something estate..
    You'll see it on the map here. It's a good deal further up towards Finglas.

Fair points by Gurramok. It's amazing how creative developers and estate agents can be with addresses. But anybody who knows the area will see through it immediately. You see the same kind of creativity with Terenure and Blackrock addresses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

1. I'd never live there.
    2. Mostly industrial estates and the Charlestown, Hampton Woods etc. Not for me personally
    4. The Village is grand.

It's just the Dublin Ind Est, the Mormons and Clare something estate.

I also feel sorry for the folks of Glasnevin if these new developments are all getting D11 Glasnevin label because they could very well be the kips of the future.

When I lived in Finglas I had a name for the area you have marked "1" on your map.

"The triangle of death". Looked to me like nearly every fatal shooting that happened in Dublin over the last couple of years was happening there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Davao8000

spockety wrote: »

I live in one of those areas and I love the place. I've never had any of the problems you have had over the last 4 years.

When I'm asked where I live I always say Finglas too - I like the place!

There does seem to be a glut of available property in the area so I don't know why Aldi would build there.

1. I'd never live there.
    4. The Village is grand.

Your map there certainly does show the Finglas boundary lines. Lanesborough, Charlestown, etc are outside the lines. They're above the line in 2. Out of curiosity, where did you get that map from??

They actually fall under the control of Fingal Co. Co., rather than Dublin City Council (which controls Finglas, etc). I think the Lanesborough/Charlestown/Cityside/Citygate estates are a small pocket that are under Fingal Co. Co. This is actually marked on your map (along Jamestown Road).

Like anywhere, in any part of Ireland, there's good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

They actually fall under the control of Fingal Co. Co., rather than Dublin City Council (which controls Finglas, etc). I think the Lanesborough/Charlestown/Cityside/Citygate estates are a small pocket that are under Fingal Co. Co. This is actually marked on your map (along Jamestown Road).
    Cheers, I am only fleetingly familiar with those new spots.
    But what would the address be for Hampton Woods lets say?
    Is it D11 or County Dublin?
    Like anywhere, in any part of Ireland, there's good and bad.

Very true.
    I think Finglas gets an inordinate amount of bad publicity and there are thousands of truly decent folks there but lets face it there are complete filth living in certain areas which ruins the image.

Cheers, I am only fleetingly familiar with those new spots.
    But what would the address be for Hampton Woods lets say?
    Is it D11 or County Dublin?

Interestingly, Hampton Woods are D11, and fall under Dublin City Council. It's weird really. That map is good though to show what is actually Finglas.

Very true.
    I think Finglas gets an inordinate amount of bad publicity and there are thousands of truly decent folks there but lets face it there are complete filth living in certain areas which ruins the image.

Some parts of Finglas are very dodgy, for sure. But, you could say the very same about Dun Laoghaire.

There were times, when an area was "used" by the govt for mass scale social housing. These ended up being areas like Finglas, Ballymun and major parts of the city centre. People were forced in to these areas. They were areas of major unemployment, and poverty.

Thankfully, times have changed, and areas are no longer broken along those lines. More and more, there are good and bad in every area and development.

Your map there certainly does show the Finglas boundary lines. Lanesborough, Charlestown, etc are outside the lines. They're above the line in 2. Out of curiosity, where did you get that map from??

Interestingly, Hampton Woods are D11, and fall under Dublin City Council. It's weird really. That map is good though to show what is actually Finglas.

Eh no its not, it shows snobbery.

Will you be helping Fingal's fight with DCC who want those areas to fall under DCC control?

Perhaps you should tell the DTO and An Post about how those areas moved from Finglas.
    http://www.dto-journeyplanner.ie/dtojp/jsp/content/start.do

gurramok wrote: »
    Eh no its not, it shows snobbery.

Will you be helping Fingal's fight with DCC who want those areas to fall under DCC control?

I just go by what was written on the documents I've seen, and from what the local authority say. According to all the planning permission for the Lanesborough/Charlestown developments, the address that Fingal Co Co use is Meakstown, Dublin 11. It's not like I personally make up addresses or areas. :D

As for who controls the area, I think it would probably be better served being under the control of DCC, but then again, I've little or no say in that either.

I just go by what was written on the documents I've seen, and from what the local authority say. According to all the planning permission for the Lanesborough/Charlestown developments, the address that Fingal Co Co use is Meakstown, Dublin 11. It's not like I personally make up addresses or areas. :D

As for who controls the area, I think it would probably be better served being under the control of DCC, but then again, I've little or no say in that either.

What documents?

Thats the developers making up those addresses in the planning permissions, did you not notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

That area is opposite Glasnevin cemetery. Not a bad area at all. Those will sell, if the price is a bit lower.

Unless I'm missing something this area is up on the Finglas dual carriageway, almost opposite Tesco and one of the worst parts of Finglas which is behind Tesco. I know it's not that far from Glasnevin cemetery but it's too far for those prices.

I think it's supposed to be down near the Tolka Valley Road and the Old Finglas Road.

Somewhere in this area.

I know what you mean about up behind Tesco.

Advertisement