Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vetting Tenants

Options
  • 04-12-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

Short story Live in small estate in a cul de sac say at most 20 houses

One is unoccupied and one is owned by a landlord, the rest are privately owned
    So last nite a car pulls into to the estate ,goes to the rented house and breaks all the windows , turns out the landlord has a new tenant only took over leasing the day before .This is all the estate needed , nice , really nice quite place and then one idiot causes this.( Im calling the landlord an Idiot here cause he should feckin know better)

So the question is I it possible given the estate is homes owned by private ppl that can we force the landlord to allow us to vet his tenants to try and prevent something like this happening again. The last thing we need is a name developing for the estate or this happening to the wrong house by mistake as there are a good few young families in the estate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Are you implying that the new tenant was the one breaking the windows? That's not clear from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

From what I have been told by the gardai , It was someone who doesn't like the tenant due to who he is and where he is from ...but they would not disclose his name only to say the new tenant is known to them and this was done by people he has had history with his previous home.(very vague I know)

I don't want to really go into details that I don't fully have , Im just of the mind this morning that this happening once and was once many times. And its best that we get off to the right start in the estate , everybody else in the estatehas bought there homes and Has a vested interest in the estate the last think we need is the place getting wrecked.

I might be going a bit far but , if I let it go by and do nothing then whats next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Nothing you can do.

If I was the landlord and someone was to trying dictate to me what I could or could not do or who could and could not live in my property I'd soon tell them where to go.

Many landlords are desperate to get any paying tenants now.

"If I was the landlord and someone was to trying dictate to me what I could or could not do or who could and could not live in my property I'd soon tell them where to go."

yeah but thats no good either. If you buy property for that purpose and ppl trash it its going to cost you more in the long run. In the extreme case and I mean extreme case if this was happening week in and week out your property would just become worthless and everybody elses around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Joeface wrote: »
    yeah but thats no good either. If you buy property for that purpose and ppl trash it its going to cost you more in the long run.

True but it's his property - if he keeps renting to people who trash it and costs him money to repair then he's a bit stupid but within his rights as the property owner.

• Advertisement

Well thats disappointing , Suppose Im just pissed off this morning. oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I sure the landlord probably took the tenant on face value, a lot of people come across differently when looking at houses, I'm sure he didn't say there was a small chance someone is going to smash all the windows in the first couple of days. If the estate residents are so worried about the class of tenants they should get together and pay the landlords rent to keep the property empty. In these times the landlord doesn't really care what goes on inside the house as long as the rent being paid.

Remember the landlord could evict the tenant but it could take months and very expensive to do so, I'm sure he's regretting renting the house now as well but Ireland hasn't got those gated community's like they have in America yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Napiergen

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Remember the landlord could evict the tenant but it could take months and very expensive to do so, I'm sure he's regretting renting the house now as well but Ireland hasn't got those gated community's like they have in America yet.

Here, here! That landlord will be wondering will he have a house still in a condition to rent every morning. He wont let it go un-noticed.

Joeface, this is out of your control but vent away. The landord's house is on the line and i can guarantee he'll will take whatever action is necessary to control the situation.

Hey maybe the tentant will move now he know's the badder guy's have found him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joeface wrote: »
    From what I have been told by the gardai , It was someone who doesn't like the tenant due to who he is and where he is from ...but they would not disclose his name only to say the new tenant is known to them and this was done by people he has had history with his previous home.(very vague I know)
    So the tenant got the f**k out of dodge, but dodge followed him and broke his windows? Can't see why that's the landlords fault.

Advertisement