Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pit bulls etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What's interesting is that you can fend off a German Shepherd by hurting her, but not a Bull Terrier. All other things being equal, this makes the Bull more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

I saw a CCTV video of a "dog" attacking a guide dog in a under pass in the UK, the guy who was with the "dog" had put the lead down to role a smoke and the lady (i think) with the guide dog walked into the underpass, the pit bull attacked the guide dog (brown lab) and pinned it to the floor, the women who obviously couldn't see what was happening was pinned to the wall in fear (although the dog didn't attack her) anyway the guy tried to get his dog off and was punching it and running kicking it for about five minutes, to no obvious affect, eventually the pit bull released - the guy legged it with his dog leaving the lady with her guide dog bleeding on the floor - the guide dog didn't die but very serious injuries - was on a crime program as they where trying to track the man down.

But seeing the guy attacking his dog to get it off you realise how uncontrollable they are mid fight

Found the story here - can't see if there is a video attached as in work - if there is please note that it is VERY VERY upsetting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8368548.stm

I also am unable to read the article from OP so will check this out when home

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I enjoyed that article lorebringer, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I saw a pit bull attack a little staffie and it was horrific, like the article says smacking it or hitting it made no difference, nor did pouring water on it. In the end we put a lead on it and pulled a little bit on it and pulled a little bit on the staffie's lead with the thought that the pit bull would have to let go to re-grip eventually and we'd whip out the staffie. It worked and the staffie had only minor wounds but very scary to see. Especially as the attack came out of nowhere and hitting the pitbull only seemed to make it more determined to kill the staffie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Just looked up that guide dog being attacked on youtube, shocking footage, very distressing to watch and i feel very sorry for the woman, who must have been absolutly terrified!!But i cant help saying that in my opinion its not a pitbull that attacked it, its much too big and stocky its maybe an american bulldog?I get really annoyed with people labelling nearly every dog attack as a pitbull , when in most cases they arn't the culprits.

Sorry read that article and really enjoyed it, well written!Loved the quote "And, because they are fearless, they can be gentle with anybody"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

nipplenuts wrote: »
    What's interesting is that you can fend off a German Shepherd by hurting her, but not a Bull Terrier. All other things being equal, this makes the Bull more dangerous.

I think this is why these dogs are so frightening to people.

I would hate to be attached by any dog but in a life or death situation I belive i would be able to escape somehow from an attack by almost any dog except a pit bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

this paragraph from the article is well worth quoting:
    "A fatal dog attack is not just a dog bite by a big or aggressive dog," Lockwood went on. "It is usually a perfect storm of bad human-canine interactions—the wrong dog, the wrong background, the wrong history in the hands of the wrong person in the wrong environmental situation. I've been involved in many legal cases involving fatal dog attacks, and, certainly, it's my impression that these are generally cases where everyone is to blame. You've got the unsupervised three-year-old child wandering in the neighborhood killed by a starved, abused dog owned by the dogfighting boyfriend of some woman who doesn't know where her child is. It's not old Shep sleeping by the fire who suddenly goes bonkers. Usually there are all kinds of other warning signs."

cos!! wrote: »
    Just looked up that guide dog being attacked on youtube, shocking footage, very distressing to watch and i feel very sorry for the woman, who must have been absolutly terrified!!But i cant help saying that in my opinion its not a pitbull that attacked it, its much too big and stocky its maybe an american bulldog?I get really annoyed with people labelling nearly every dog attack as a pitbull , when in most cases they arn't the culprits.

my apologies - fell into the trap of labelling - will edit my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Paul91 wrote: »
    I saw a CCTV video of a "dog" attacking a guide dog in a under pass in the UK, the guy who was with the "dog" had put the lead down to role a smoke and the lady (i think) with the guide dog walked into the underpass, the pit bull attacked the guide dog (brown lab) and pinned it to the floor, the women who obviously couldn't see what was happening was pinned to the wall in fear (although the dog didn't attack her) anyway the guy tried to get his dog off and was punching it and running kicking it for about five minutes, to no obvious affect, eventually the pit bull released - the guy legged it with his dog leaving the lady with her guide dog bleeding on the floor - the guide dog didn't die but very serious injuries - was on a crime program as they where trying to track the man down.

But seeing the guy attacking his dog to get it off you realise how uncontrollable they are mid fight

Found the story here - can't see if there is a video attached as in work - if there is please note that it is VERY VERY upsetting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8368548.stm

I also am unable to read the article from OP so will check this out when home
    to get a bull type dog to let go ,you must put your hand under its collar and twist,allso put the palm of your other hand over its nose to block any breathing,the dog will gasp and let go,its no good kicking and hitting it as bull breeds when in attack mode do not feel much pain, and i think owners of the bull type breed should know this.i have shown and owned bullies and staffies fo over 30 years

ye i read something about putting a stick in under the collar and twisting to make them release - or a finger up the "ahem" may also work, although wouldn't fancy it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ye i read something about putting a stick in under the collar and twisting to make them release - or a finger up the "ahem" may also work, although wouldn't fancy it
    the best is your hand ,you have more control and anyway a stick may not be around,the bigest danger you will have ,is getting bitten by the other dog,so it realy needs another person around to hold the other one back .i have been there a few times,thankfully ,not with my dogs.

my apologies - fell into the trap of labelling - will edit my post

aw sorry mate want having a go at you at all!the actual video itself says pitbull thats what annoyed me!

cos!! wrote: »
    aw sorry mate want having a go at you at all!the actual video itself says pitbull thats what annoyed me!

no worries - i started writing that before i looked up the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Silly he-man dog, usually owned by an ignorant tight shirted monkey with a chip on the shoulder. Also as ugly as it gets. Not really the dog that's an issue. it's the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's always the owner, but certain breeds of owner are attracted to certain breeds of dog.

Advertisement