Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitar Workshop, Derrick Nelson.... who else?

• 04-12-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

I need a set of pickups wired into a 335 style guitar. Was gonna do it myself but looks very fiddly and I want a good job done on it. I also need a setup done on it because I dont think it has had a set of strings on it for a good while. Will need action, intonation, pickup height etc set.

So I know of Eugene and Derrick and there's a local music shop (Monastery Music) who I was gonna get a quote off but can anyone make me any specific recommendations for a tech to carry out a good job and not charge an arm and a leg?

How much roughly am I looking at for the above work?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Give www.jimismusicstore.ie a try, his prices are amazing and he does a great job.

You're probably talking 30 quid with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Alright G...Why don't ya just snip the existing wiring and resolder in the new pickups? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Alright G...Why don't ya just snip the existing wiring and resolder in the new pickups? :)

He could put some connectors on it so he can remove the pickups at a later date without cutting or desoldering. Kind of like EMG's. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Cheers fish. I've been looking for an excuse to go there :D There's no pickups in it right now and the wiring isnt routed through the guitar into the cavitys. The only access to the wiring is through the F-hole. It just looks like an absolute nightmare to do. I've no experience soldering either and want to make sure it gets done right (she deserves it ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

http://www.theloftmusicstudio.com/

You should definately give this guy a call..his name is Pat Mc Sweeney. I had a number of high end acoustic's adjusted by him recenlty and his work is of the highest standard. He has his own studio in citywest. He's very honest when it comes to work and pricing.

• Advertisement

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Cheers fish. I've been looking for an excuse to go there :D There's no pickups in it right now and the wiring isnt routed through the guitar into the cavitys. The only access to the wiring is through the F-hole. It just looks like an absolute nightmare to do. I've no experience soldering either and want to make sure it gets done right (she deserves it ;) )

That is indeed a tricky operation.:p BTW is there push pull switches on the tone pots to alternate between SC and humbucking mode or is that just on the SA2200?

There is actually push-pulls on it. I dont know if these were standard though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

You could try Dave Travers http://soundfactory.ie/gpage.html but the last time I was talking to him he was mad busy.

I believe the early 80's SA2000's had push pulls but the pre 1980's didn't according to here

:D This is my thousandth post and I wanted to post it here :D

• Advertisement

:D

Cheers ginty!

Got a good estimate from Jimi so gonna drop into him on Friday

Just picked up the guitar from Jimi's. Looks and sounds fantastic. Looking forward to giving it a good testing later tonight. Thanks again to fish-head for the recommendation. Will be getting all future work done by jimi, great prices, friendly staff and a cool little shop. Pics later tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

any grounding issues? I had a guitar wired by Eugene and it's not properly grounded at all...

Actually, I've just dropped jimi an email. I noticed some definite hum which goes away when touching the pickup or pickup switch. Given the type of guitar it is and the music I like to play I really need it crystal clear with no hum. I'll let you know what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GWK

Recently had Tony Thompson do some work on a strat i picked up on adverts. Re-Fret + set-up & some new pickups installed and he done a fantastic job on it. He also done a couple of gibsons for me and they were equally well done. I rate his work very highly

Should be getting the grounding issue looked at on saturday :)

Advertisement