Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi handheld devise, organiser

• 04-12-2009 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    I'm looking for advise on a handheld Wi-Fi devise. My wife mentioned a few months ago, that she would like some kind of organiser, similar to the one she uses on her Nokia phone, but easier to input.

It would have to have similar features, including an alarm to notify her on engagements/meetings etc.

I'm away with work quite a lot and I use our personal Laptop while I'm away, so she can't access her email while I'm away.

I've asked a few people for advise and the general concences is to get her an Ipod touch.
    People I've asked have said that they have never used to organiser function, so they couldn't say if it was any good or not.

She has a work phone, so I don't want to get tied into another phone contract for a blackberry or an Ipod phone.

Has anyone any advise on the ipod touch organiser function or any other type of handheld devises that can be used for internet access and an organiser. It needs to be quite compact, if she can throw it into her handbag while she's out and about.

It also needs to be within a budget. If it was over 200euro, I would just invest in a notebook and she could just carry on using her phone for the organiser.

Regards,
    Danman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Seriously get the ipod touch. I use it for all those functions when I used to do them from my Nokia 5800, which I only use now if I need to use the cellular network as opposed to wifi. My laptop barely gets an outing now also. Just get the base 8gb model and if you use gmail, google calendar, google contacts etc. you could get a 10 year old to set it up. This thread might end up in the Apple media devices forum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

I wouldn't disregard a phone so quickly for what you're after. From what you've described there a Nokia E Series might be just the job -

It's primarily a business phone so the organiser's pretty well developed (i.e. hardware shortcut keys to give quick access to calendar overview or new calendar entry, easy synching with Outlook etc.), and no matter how nice the iPod is to use, nothing can beat a physical keyboard for quick text entry. The E63 is going for 199 on O2 or 189 on Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

agreed on the physical keyboard but have you compared setting up mail for exchange on an s60 phone with getting push email on an ipod touch? That is why Nokia profits are falling. Hopefully for them the X6 will be good.

As an aside a Canadian company make a clip on device that is basically a physical keyboard for the iphone. It looks naff mind. Nevertheless, the touch screen keypad on the iphone isn't like the resistive rubbish on Nokias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Thanks for the input all.

Advertisement