Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need recommendations for stylish new case!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

zappb wrote: »
    I agree with Kaimera on that comment, The HAF should only be used as a dedicated gaming box based on its design (not that the case looks like total ass so don't worry HAF fanboys) - and it is extremely good value, with excellent function - Flaccus has an absolute bargain on the 922 with some excellent fans if you are interested here:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=167435&cat=all

What about the Coolermaster Storm scout case? My brother has one and loves it - Everywhere this case gets a five star review, and looks a bit better IMHO than the HAF case but perhaps not as functional) - Peats ships this free for 99 euros (for a benchmark Newegg sells them for 99 USD - Peats are extremely competitive giving a euro for dollar (Cheaper than Dabs and overclockers as well). The internals are black and handles are nice on it.

http://techgage.com/article/cooler_master_storm_scout_mid-tower/

This will be part of Coolermaster's media suite at CES 2010-

District 9 modded case http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/77909585/m/518008791041/p/1

Check out this mod of the scout - http://www.casemodblog.com/?p=970 - if you want it done for you it will cost a cool 1200 usd :)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1474719 Thermaltake Level 10 - only 850 USD :)

Living in Dub and my wheels was stolen in Jan so no buying off adverts for me for now! :(

I actually quite like the look of that Scout case
    cm_scout_15.jpg

But whats that little dial thing above the mic/headphone section?

EDIT: It switches of the LED lights!!

Not sure I would be into modded cases! In fact I never actually even considered them! I must look at a few though...

BeansBeans wrote: »

Also agree on the Cosmos S its very nice.

I really dont know why but the Panzerbox is another one i love the look of :p
    Ya i know, im alone on that.

It tells the time?
    panzerbox10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Its compact and understated looks :)

It is one of the smarter boxes around isnt it.
    Unfortunately the fan controller is an extra :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

py2006 wrote: »
    It tells the time?
    panzerbox10.jpg

That would be great with a side window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What about the Coolermaster Storm scout case? My brother has one and loves it - Everywhere this case gets a five star review, and looks a bit better IMHO than the HAF case but perhaps not as functional) - Peats ships this free for 99 euros (for a benchmark Newegg sells them for 99 USD - Peats are extremely competitive giving a euro for dollar (Cheaper than Dabs and overclockers as well). The internals are black and handles are nice on it.

Actually the Scouts are a good recommendation all right, I'd recommend the Sniper over the Scout though. The Storm Sniper is pretty much a HAF922 with additional dust filters, some fancy LEDs, a fan controller and a nicer IO panel. On the inside it's basically the same as the HAF922. The Storm Scout is similar enough, but it's smaller inside, it's cable management isn't half as good as
    the HAF and I don't think it's stock cooling is as good either. But both are definitely worth a look.

• Advertisement

So this is list of cases I have been looking at so far, starting with the most expensive!

Thanks for your suggestions and advice so far.

Feel free to add more suggestions!! :thumbsup:

Corsair Obsidian 800D (prob too pricey)
    corsair-obsidian-series-800d-pc-chassis.jpg

Lian Li PC-A71FB (prob too pricey)
    CA-172-LL_400.jpg

Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S
    CA-156-CM_400.jpg

Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos
    1065076-a.jpg

Antec 1200
    antec1200.jpg

Coolermaster Storm 'Sniper'
    Cooler%20master%20storm%20sniper%2001.jpg

Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooler-Master-HAF932.jpg

Coolermaster Storm 'Scout'
    coolermaster_stormscout3.jpg

Add the Thermaltake Element G to that list:

THERMALTAKE_ELEMENTG.jpg

And another Thermaltake, the Element S.

thermaltake-element-s_large.jpg

Both of which also get pretty good reviews.

At the end of the day case choice is a pretty personal thing. Little things like not having a firewire/esata front panel connector can make a huge difference to some people yet are rarely mentioned in threads like these. Just read some review's and go with what seems the one that suits you most.

edit: some people also love this one, the Silverstone RV02

CA-065-SV_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

07.jpg?1871868898

Gets my vote
    I'm going to build a system with this in the new year.

07.jpg?1871868898

Gets my vote

Which one is this?

Which one is this?

one that was already mentioned, the Coolermaster ATCS 840. It's in the upper end of the price scale though, cost around €180-€200 (before delivery).

• Advertisement

one that was already mentioned, the Coolermaster ATCS 840. It's in the upper end of the price scale though, cost around €180-€200 (before delivery).

Oh right! Its a nice looking case alright! Nothing too flashy but not too plain either!! Pity its so pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

How about the Lian Li x1000 ? I'm looking to buy this shortly,

very nice case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

07.jpg?1871868898

Gets my vote

It is a nice case to work with, cable management is grand and enough but not too much space between the right side panel and MB tray to allow decent cable management. Nice little feature of the MB tray was that it has a cut out in the tray to allow you install CPU coolers without having to unmount the MB itself. The HD mountings are really nice and completely tool free.

It's very spacious inside and the stock fans/cooling are more than sufficient to cope with general (though I doubt outrageous) overclocking - keeping your system cool and generally fairly quiet. Has holes for water cooling also if you wished.

It is a lovely case to build with I have to admit, not the greatest on looks but a great case for a good medium between cooling and quietness.

Comes with a nice guide also on the MB tray to let you pre-install the spacer screws depending on the MB form factor, just another nice little touch I found.

The blue LED lights for HD access & power though are very bright, I could disconnect them but just cover them over at times instead - that's the only problem I have with that case and it's a very minor one easily rectified if needed.

It's pricey but it's a top end case and you won't regret purchasing it, have fun :)

Add the Thermaltake Element G to that list:

THERMALTAKE_ELEMENTG.jpg

And another Thermaltake, the Element S.

thermaltake-element-s_large.jpg

Both of which also get pretty good reviews.

At the end of the day case choice is a pretty personal thing. Little things like not having a firewire/esata front panel connector can make a huge difference to some people yet are rarely mentioned in threads like these. Just read some review's and go with what seems the one that suits you most.

edit: some people also love this one, the Silverstone RV02

CA-065-SV_400.jpg

Omg someone actually noticed my suggestion of the Element G :p
    Its a really nice case and very well built i have to say, will see how it performs when my mobo and cpu arrive next week. But yes for €100 its a steal if you ask me.

I love the Raven 2 as well :) Pretty annoyed the Fortress 2 wasnt out, was supposed to release in november its bloody gorgeous.
    There is life beyond black! :o
    DSCF9098-big.jpg

DSCF9099-big.jpg

ft02_back%20angle.JPG

Although according to driverheaven its release is this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Why is it the wrong way arround :(

I like the idea to be honest, but there are very mixed reviews on the layout. Hopefully it has been improved since the Raven2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I'm more interested in that silentflux passive cooler on the cpu in that pic :)

How about the Lian Li x1000 ? I'm looking to buy this shortly,

very nice case.

On quick glance the exterior is probably a little to plain?

Nehaxak wrote: »
    It is a nice case to work with, cable management is grand and enough but not too much space between the right side panel and MB tray to allow decent cable management. Nice little feature of the MB tray was that it has a cut out in the tray to allow you install CPU coolers without having to unmount the MB itself. The HD mountings are really nice and completely tool free.

It's very spacious inside and the stock fans/cooling are more than sufficient to cope with general (though I doubt outrageous) overclocking - keeping your system cool and generally fairly quiet. Has holes for water cooling also if you wished.

It is a lovely case to build with I have to admit, not the greatest on looks but a great case for a good medium between cooling and quietness.

Comes with a nice guide also on the MB tray to let you pre-install the spacer screws depending on the MB form factor, just another nice little touch I found.

The blue LED lights for HD access & power though are very bright, I could disconnect them but just cover them over at times instead - that's the only problem I have with that case and it's a very minor one easily rectified if needed.

It's pricey but it's a top end case and you won't regret purchasing it, have fun :)

The appeal to me is the more conservative design, its not all flashy and trying to look like a spaceship. I do like the power/reset buttons at the top!

Price though! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ah yes, the FT02... the case that wishes it was a Mac Pro :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

It's in the HAF owners club on overclock.net (link above somewhere). Griffin I think actually bought them (assuming he's the same Griffin as on overclock).

yea i should get them this week, expensive but i think they will be worth the money

they look great too

If I was forced at gunpoint to narrow my list down it would be:

Corsair 800D / ATCS 840

Antec 1200 / HAF 932

If I was forced at gunpoint to narrow my list down it would be:

Corsair 800D / ATCS 840

Antec 1200 / HAF 932
    And that is when I would pull the trigger :P

Corsair 800D / ATCS 840

ATCS is better when it comes to air cooling, and has the removable mobo tray. I believe the 800D is better for water though and has a side window (which i hate personally, but some would prefer).
    Antec 1200 / HAF 932

Both of these would trump the more expensive ones above when it comes to stock cooling. The HAF is slightly better in terms of cooling, and has tooless installation but i think is slightly louder because of the sheer number of openings?

much of a much tbh,

A clear side window is available for the 840 now.

A clear side window is available for the 840 now.

ewww... way to spoil a perfectly good case :mad:

It could be worse, it could look like this:
    main.jpg

But tbh, I like the style of windows found on the CM Storm Scout. It's got a black tinted window :pac:

I agree, the 840 is the best looking case out there IMO.
    I'm alreading planning how to stealth the dvd drives for when I get it. Don't want to spoil the clean look of the front.

I'm alreading planning how to stealth the dvd drives for when I get it. Don't want to spoil the clean look of the front.

Simple, don't use any :p Install everything off USB Sticks or get an external one ;p

• Advertisement

I agree, the 840 is the best looking case out there IMO.

Where are you getting it from? And what do you mean by stealth the dvd drives? :confused:

Advertisement