Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

away of providing work and work experience for graduates

Options
  • 04-12-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment we have a student on placement with us and this got me thinking...

what if every organization that gets government contract were obliged to provide a paid work placement ( minimum wage ) ..for both graduates and undergraduates...this would be part of the terms and conditions of the contract and linked to the size of the contracts ....i.e. the bigger the contract the more places they would have to provide.

this is how i think it would work ..if you were a civil engineering/architect/solicitors/accountants firm and you got a government/local authority/public services contract ...you would be obliged to provide the paid work placements as part of your contract..

it could be expanded in all sort of ways....for example if you were drama company and got an arts grant as part of you grant you'd have to provide a place to an arts management graduate...so on

i think it would be brilliant and fairly cheap way of providing real and meaningful work experience for graduates ...a six month paid work experience placement would cost apx 9000 euro

what do you think would it work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

mariaalice wrote: »
    At the moment we have a student on placement with us and this got me thinking...

what if every organization that gets government contract were obliged to provide a paid work placement ( minimum wage ) ..for both graduates and undergraduates...this would be part of the terms and conditions of the contract and linked to the size of the contracts ....i.e. the bigger the contract the more places they would have to provide.

this is how i think it would work ..if you were a civil engineering/architect/solicitors/accountants firm and you got a government/local authority/public services contract ...you would be obliged to provide the paid work placements as part of your contract..

it could be expanded in all sort of ways....for example if you were drama company and got an arts grant as part of you grant you'd have to provide a place to an arts management graduate...so on

i think it would be brilliant and fairly cheap way of providing real and meaningful work experience for graduates ...a six month paid work experience placement would cost apx 9000 euro

what do you think would it work
    Sounds like a very good plan but I doubt you can force companies to take anybody on from a legal point of view, great theory though and one that I am sure people would support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

the tender would have to include a sum for such a placement so that the monies is already in the tender.
    However perhaps this should be related closer to those who are on long-term unemployment to get them back to work. If they fail to work lose their benefits from the state.

Advertisement