Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell offloads Polish factory to Taiwanese (yes the one that left Limerick)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I have to say I'm not surprised at this. I worked for Dell for over 3 years they make Ryanair look like puppy dogs when it comes to protecting their bottom line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Joyful

They had it good in Limerick, no union, a workforce that wanted to do exactly that "work". People who came out of school and onto the factory floor, it was a family of sorts. Plus a pool of graduates to equal no other in europe, or even the US if i might ad.

Dells leadership team made a mistake in opening Poland. They spent millions, but the factory didn't ramp with the speed that was needed, the workforce would down tools at every opportunity, labour laws in Piland are very strict . . . Dell didn't consider this.

Then the man that said "lets move to poland" was fired! And Michael Dell took over, if he hadn't done that, Limerick would have been shut down, 100% . . . manufacturing and and support services, like buyers, engineers, supply chain etc all bye bye. Michael Dell recognises that Dell limerick is a natural pool of resources that he can tap into, and that's what he is doing.

Yes, it was a sad day for limeirck when they announced the plant was closing, but for those still in there plugging away, they keep their heads down and do the job. They deal with constant rumours of more jobs moving to China, or other locations in Europe . . . it must be a difficult environment to work in.

We all need to sell Ireland as a hight tech services country, get broadband sorted out for the Small Medium Businesses, ask companies like Dell to explain why they stayed in ireland, and build on that, otherwise ireland will sink!!

Advertisement