Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive for Home Server

Options
  • 04-12-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Need to get a bigger hard drive for my home server >1TB, want something fast and quiet and not too dear. I seen these new Samsung EcoGreen F2 drives but they're only 5400RPM, anyone use these and how would they compare to other 7200RPM drives ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Need to get a bigger hard drive for my home server >1TB, want something fast and quiet and not too dear. I seen these new Samsung EcoGreen F2 drives but they're only 5400RPM, anyone use these and how would they compare to other 7200RPM drives ?

The F3 drives are 7200rpm and are very good.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-1tb-f3-7200rpm-sata-3gb-s-32mb-65QC.html?refs=52450000-50480000-50429

EDIT: Just saw you mean over 1TB so the F3 is out (Which you no doubt are well aware of and was most likely the reason you started the thread :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I have 2 of these in my home nas, not a bad drive at all, bit pricey though.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=495617

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I am in the market for a new drive myself I have read some good reviews for the Barracuda 1.5TB which is 7200 rpm and can be had for under 100. While I will probably get a 1TB F3 myself, I have always found Seagate to be fairly solid and have owned a fair few in the past (I currently have a 320G and a 500G).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

The Caviar is out of my price range but I might be interested in the F3, 1TB shoulb keep me going but if I do need more I could get another one and stick them in a RAID setup. Are the F3 a noisy drive ? I have a 500GB F1 at the moment and it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I have 4 f3's in my gaming pc, and they are whisper quiet. Very fast too thanks to the 500gb/platter.

• Advertisement

The Caviar is out of my price range but I might be interested in the F3, 1TB shoulb keep me going but if I do need more I could get another one and stick them in a RAID setup. Are the F3 a noisy drive ? I have a 500GB F1 at the moment and it's brilliant.

Is speed or silence more important to you, because a 7200 drive will always be a little bit louder than a 5400.

The F3 and F2 are basically the same HD (Both F3 and F2 are successors to the F1 generation), the difference is the F3 are just the higher performance drives - 7200rpm and the F2 are the lower performance ones - 5400rpm.

The F3 has a good reputation for being quiet, but the F2 has an even better one. Still I would only go for the F2 if it was purely for storage and not for applications or an OS.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Is speed or silence more important to you, because a 7200 drive will always be a little bit louder than a 5400.

The F3 and F2 are basically the same HD (Both F3 and F2 are successors to the F1 generation), the difference is the F3 are just the higher performance drives - 7200rpm and the F2 are the lower performance ones - 5400rpm.

The F3 has a good reputation for being quiet, but the F2 has an even better one. Still I would only go for the F2 if it was purely for storage and not for applications or an OS.
    Really silence is preferable as the drive doesn't need to be super fast because all the data that will be wrote and read from it will be via. a wired network so an ultra fast drive would be no advantage as the data won't get to it fast enough !! It will be for storage only, mainly media files. I'll see what suits but it just comes down to price for either the F3 or the F2 :D

Really silence is preferable as the drive doesn't need to be super fast because all the data that will be wrote and read from it will be via. a wired network so an ultra fast drive would be no advantage as the data won't get to it fast enough !! It will be for storage only, mainly media files. I'll see what suits but it just comes down to price for either the F3 or the F2 :D

As I mentioned before I will be on the lookout for a 1TB F3 in the next few weeks, so if you see a good deal don't be afraid to use the Bargain sticky here. :)

marco_polo wrote: »
    As I mentioned before I will be on the lookout for a 1TB F3 in the next few weeks, so if you see a good deal don't be afraid to use the Bargain sticky here. :)
    Will do mate, but I think I'll go for the 1TB F2, good price and it's nice and quiet. Have a few other things to buy so I'm trying to keep prices down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

komplett are selling the f2 1.5tb for 85 quid at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement