Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

everton game

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

After 15 games in the 04/05 season (the season when we SHOULD have made the Champions League but for that dodgy lasagne) we had 27 points.

This season after 15 games we have........27 points.

Exactly the same!

For those getting all negative, lets just wait to see what happens in the next month or 2.

the "lasagne" game was the final game of the 05/06 season.

agree with general point though next 8 games will define how much progress we.ve made.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

To be honest was too fed up yest to post. Seems to be loads of debate around a point being ok and we are still in the hunt etc.. Forgetting league position and just looking at the last two games it was 4 points dropped rather than 2 gained espically at 2-0 up against a weak everton team we should have finished the game out no problems, No excuses.
    We even got a golden chance at the end with the peno which at that stage we didnt deserve and missed. Whatever happened to the peno rule - low,hard and into the corner..

I think we can still challenge for 4th and the season has a long way to go but if at the end we miss out by a point yesterday in particular will have been a pivitol moment in my eyes.
    COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i would consider getting beaten at home to stoke a lot more sickening result that drawing away to everton. everton were due a result and i assure you we would have lost this game in seasons gone by.

i admit we should have won, when 2-0 up we were in cruise control , but bale decided to go to sleep at the back and let two soft ones past him. we also missed so many chances up front. in january we have to

1. sell bale, hutton, pav and bentley
    2. sign DCM (sandro) and a goalscorer

i know i have said it over and and over but van nistelerroy would have scored yesterday . we need a proven goal scorer to play with defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm pretty gutted with the result yesterday. As Mick has been saying, we were flying, scored the second, and took the foot off the gas. This, coupled with the Everton changes made it a completely different game. We had more than enough chances to finish the game off, and there's no excuse for conceding two goals like we did - crap defending for both. We were also really lucky not to actually lose the game.

Defoe should definitely have finished that penalty. It was an awful effort, and we should now be celebrating our re-arrival in 3rd. Instead, we have to make do with 4th, people questioning our credentials, and thinking about what might have been.

We're still in the top 4, and deservedly so. We have a very favourable group of games coming up and if we can keep on playing well, we should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

mickman wrote: »

1. sell bale, hutton, pav and bentley
    2. sign DCM (sandro) and a goalscorer

i know i have said it over and and over but van nistelerroy would have scored yesterday . we need a proven goal scorer to play with defoe

big test of Levy in January will he splash he cash on RVN or will we get Carlton Cole or similar ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

This result was frankly embarrassing. Are ye all forgetting the fact it they were missing an entire first XI. On paper this is the weakest side we will face this season and we didn’t give 2 sh1ts as to whether or not we won the game. As for 2 draws away to Villa and Everton being good results? They are not good results when you have more ability than the 2 opponents, in fact had we won one and lost one we’d be a point better off !
    The problem yesterday was not missing a penalty it was our casual attitude when 2-0 up. We never put our foot through anything, never made anything happen. Thought the game was won, created chances but never cared too much about taking them. When we went 2-0 up yesterday the 1st thing on my mind was to make up the 6 goals on the Gooners, it should also have been on the players minds but no. They are content to pussyfoot around whilst the real teams like Man Utd would have never ever given Everton a break yesterday.

This team is falling into every trap I’ve seen since 1984, believing their own hype. If you had to pick a team from the prem to go to a ground and win with your life on the line Spurs would still be a distant choice for most people. We are just too flaky mentally or just too relaxed either way we are going nowhere yet again this season which breaks my heart.

well carlton cole is a good player too but he isnt the tap in goalscorer that we need

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

golfball37 wrote: »
    The problem yesterday was not missing a penalty it was our casual attitude when 2-0 up. We never put our foot through anything, never made anything happen. Thought the game was won, created chances but never cared too much about taking them. When we went 2-0 up yesterday the 1st thing on my mind was to make up the 6 goals on the Gooners, it should also have been on the players minds but no. They are content to pussyfoot around whilst the real teams like Man Utd would have never ever given Everton a break yesterday.

We are just too flaky mentally or just too relaxed either way we are going nowhere yet again this season which breaks my heart.

Totally agree with your comments, Golfball.

You don't see the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenall etc. sitting back on 2-0 with over 30 mins left to play. They would keep going and try to score more goals hence their goal difference is always double figures + at the end of each season. Last season, every one of the top four finished with a goal difference of 31+ or more. We finished with a GD of Zero.

I'm not saying we should go back to the Ossie Ardiles/Famous Five style but if we can't lock out teams when we're 2-0 up then the simple answer is to keep playing to score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Totally agree with your comments, Golfball.

You don't see the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenall etc. sitting back on 2-0 with over 30 mins left to play. They would keep going and try to score more goals hence their goal difference is always double figures + at the end of each season. Last season, every one of the top four finished with a goal difference of 31+ or more. We finished with a GD of Zero.

I'm not saying we should go back to the Ossie Ardiles/Famous Five style but if we can't lock out teams when we're 2-0 up then the simple answer is to keep playing to score.
    Right off the top of my head i can remember Arsenal conceding 2 late goals to West Ham to draw 2-all! There are probably other examples. Why do we have w**** all over the Top 4 teams like they are so much better than us?? Its that kind of mentality which means we won't ever get there.

IMO we are getting way too negative about where we are and some fans on here are saying 'typical spurs team' - more like 'typical fickle spurs fans!!!'.

If Defoe scores the penalty are we dead-certs for the CL??!!

Its ridiculous, like i said, we sit 4th, in a great position, lets stay with the team and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

IMO we are getting way too negative about where we are and some fans on here are saying 'typical spurs team' - more like 'typical fickle spurs fans!!!'.

Its ridiculous, like i said, we sit 4th, in a great position, lets stay with the team and see what happens.

It's not so much negativity but frustration, so let's keep our heads screwed on and keep things in perspective. As it stands we are challengers for the 4th spot but nothing more than challengers at this stage.

Other challengers such as Liverpool and Man City have not had steady results (e.g. draws / defeats) however they are still only 3pts and 2pts away from us respectively. What happens when they go on a good run? Which at least one them will at some stage.

At lot depends on who Harry brings to the club in January.

Back to the subject of yesterdays match, the frustration for me is when I look back at games earlier in the season like Birmingham 2-1, Portsmouth 2-1, Sunderland 2-0. We were brutally bad in these games yet we won. We dominate and play well for most of the game against Villa and Everton (reserves), yet we can only draw. As for playing Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, well we got our ar5e kicked.

Yes we've done reasonably well up to this stage, but when you analyze each game we could have we should have at least 9 points more than we do.

As Spurs fans, we crave success immensely. Especially when that lot a few miles away have (with expception of last few years) been consistently winning trophies and competing in the champions league. One or two League Cups every ten years or one FA Cup every 20 years is just not enough for a club the size of Spurs.

One thing I do hope this season, is that the Top four monoply is broken. Hopefully by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Right off the top of my head i can remember Arsenal conceding 2 late goals to West Ham to draw 2-all! There are probably other examples. Why do we have w**** all over the Top 4 teams like they are so much better than us?? Its that kind of mentality which means we won't ever get there.

It’s nothing to do with Top 4 adulation at all. All i want is a bit of passion, heart & balls. These qualities are shown by teams such as Bolton, Stoke, Everton, Villa and clubs who have players of less ability than us its not exclusive to the top 4 at all but these characteristics are a pre requisite to finish there- something our current squad would do well to remember. In fact our current squad has twice the talent of the current Liverpool squad almost but I know damn well who I’d want to go into battle with if my life depended on it.

What we have is bundles of ability but are totally let down by character. It’s always been the case. Nothing to do with typical moaning Spurs fans, its typical bloody Spurs to put out a team who think the hard work is done when they go 2-0 up ! Fancy flicks and half hearted attempts to get the 3rd goal are what drove me mad yesterday, not the inevitable penalty miss at the end.

If we had a side who left everything out in the pitch for 99% of their games I honestly wouldn’t care where they finished in the table. Not too many of those players can be proud of their days work yesterday imo.

It's not so much negativity but frustration, so let's keep our heads screwed on and keep things in perspective. As it stands we are challengers for the 4th spot but nothing more than challengers at this stage.

Other challengers such as Liverpool and Man City have not had steady results (e.g. draws / defeats) however they are still only 3pts and 2pts away from us respectively. What happens when they go on a good run? Which at least one them will at some stage.

At lot depends on who Harry brings to the club in January.

Back to the subject of yesterdays match, the frustration for me is when I look back at games earlier in the season like Birmingham 2-1, Portsmouth 2-1, Sunderland 2-0. We were brutally bad in these games yet we won. We dominate and play well for most of the game against Villa and Everton (reserves), yet we can only draw. As for playing Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, well we got our ar5e kicked.

Yes we've done reasonably well up to this stage, but when you analyze each game we could have we should have at least 9 points more than we do.

As Spurs fans, we crave success immensely. Especially when that lot a few miles away have (with expception of last few years) been consistently winning trophies and competing in the champions league. One or two League Cups every ten years or one FA Cup every 20 years is just not enough for a club the size of Spurs.

One thing I do hope this season, is that the Top four monoply is broken. Hopefully by us.
    Yep, I agree with pretty much all that. The only thing I would say is that every club in the PL will always look back on games they should have won, drawn. Thats football, we are not alone in that!

golfball37 wrote: »
    It’s nothing to do with Top 4 adulation at all. All i want is a bit of passion, heart & balls. These qualities are shown by teams such as Bolton, Stoke, Everton, Villa and clubs who have players of less ability than us its not exclusive to the top 4 at all but these characteristics are a pre requisite to finish there- something our current squad would do well to remember. In fact our current squad has twice the talent of the current Liverpool squad almost but I know damn well who I’d want to go into battle with if my life depended on it.

What we have is bundles of ability but are totally let down by character. It’s always been the case. Nothing to do with typical moaning Spurs fans, its typical bloody Spurs to put out a team who think the hard work is done when they go 2-0 up ! Fancy flicks and half hearted attempts to get the 3rd goal are what drove me mad yesterday, not the inevitable penalty miss at the end.

If we had a side who left everything out in the pitch for 99% of their games I honestly wouldn’t care where they finished in the table. Not too many of those players can be proud of their days work yesterday imo.
    Spurs have never been the club to support if you admire hard-work, 100% committment, that kind of thing. Thats true enough!!

Harry has helped though - he's beefed up midfied with Wilson. And our away record is much better this season. Think we miss either Leds or Woody at the back to provide a bit of leadership. Also Keano helps to gee them up if things are going badly or too well! - another one missing yesterday remember.

I think overall we have the balance just about right though. I wouldn't put too many more work-horse, battling types in the midfield - who do you drop, Lennon? Modric?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

You don't see the likes of Man U, Chelsea, Arsenall etc. sitting back on 2-0 with over 30 mins left to play.

We're not at that level though. The sides you mention have over 10 CL experience and all have won the PL more than once. Unfair to compare us with them. Also none of our players have ever done anything big in the game.

Having sad all that, I still think we have a decent chance of breaking the top 4 this season. Lets hope yesterdays kick in the nuts will be balanced out against a lucky win (or two)in the new year.

Also the goons go to Liverpool and we have Wolves at home next. We could be 3rd again on Sat night.

COYS

king should be back on sat and will partner dawson. wilson should be ok to play and luca will be on the bench and could get 20 mins at the end if we are winning well. it could be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How can Defoe be so good at threading a screamer through a tiny gap at a difficult angle and so bad at slotting it home from the spot?

Also, anyone else noticed how Crouch can't recieve a high ball without the ref calling it a foul?

Advertisement