Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port number from Eircom to Smart to UPC

• 04-12-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody moved from Eircom to Smart and ported their phone number then moved on from Smart to UPC and been able to port that same number? The reason I ask is that I'm being told conflicting answers from UPC - some of the sales agents say it's possible while others say it's not. I don't want to switch over only to find out afterward that I can't port the number after all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 corkdork

I have an identical problem. UPC have just told me I have to port the number from smart to eircom and then on to UPC. They claim my UAN is not a valid one and I have no idea why. Haven't talked to eircom yet but I assume you have to order a new line with your number number and their website says there's a minimum 6 month contracton residential phone lines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

corkdork wrote: »
    Haven't talked to eircom yet but I assume you have to order a new line with your number number and their website says there's a minimum 6 month contracton residential phone lines!

Do not order a new line, that will have a new phone number, and have a 6 month term.

I don't know what the process is, but could be that you cancel Smart broadband and port the phone service back to eircom, then once it's back with them you can port to UPC. It's not going to be straight forward or simple, and you'll pay line rental to eircom in the time that the number is active with them. You should order UPC in the mean time, and then port the number when it's available. Otherwise, you'll be without broadband for an unknown period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 corkdork

Hi and thanks for your post,
    I've closed broadband on Smart line and have a phone and broadband with UPC. I'm just trying to get the number switched over. I've contacted eircom by email to ask how I can proceed and will post their reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the old line has ceased, then you'll need to reconnect. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that will come with the 6 month contract term from eircom too. When you reconnect, they should apply your old number as it won't have been recycled yet. It will be interesting to see eircom's reply.

Advertisement