Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stats: Why is Health always dropped when calculating Public service stats?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering why is Health always dropped when calculating Public service stats?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/analysis-overview/public-sector-not-carrying-its-share-of-our-burden-1963989.html

Here is what the statistics actually do tell us. The latest data from the Central Statistics Office -- showing earnings in private and public sectors through the second quarter of this year -- show that earnings in the public sector (excluding Health) have increased from just under €943 per week in the second quarter of 2008 to €973 per week in the same period this year -- a rise of more than 3.2pc in one year.

All in, in the second quarter of this year the average mid-to-top grade private sector worker was earning 2.2pc less than the average public sector employee (excluding those working in health).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I was just wondering why is Health always dropped when calculating Public service stats?
    I assume it is because health workers are paid alot more than other members of PS and it would skew the figures? Not sure but that is what I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As far as I know it's because the HSE doesn't provide the stats sufficiently quickly to be included in the most recent analyses.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Rather than being "dropped" statistics in health have never been included...because the CSO dont have any info to use!!!:pac:
    Health The employment details for this sector are obtained from the quantity census conducted by the Health Service Executive and are recorded on a full-time equivalent basis. Earnings information is not available at present. From March 2007 certain grades, categories and subsumed agencies
    are included. A direct comparison with previous data is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Sure could they not use PPARS to extract the HSE data quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

ardmacha wrote: »

I thought the whole point of the HSE was that all this stuff was centralised?
    The mind boggles. (again).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ardmacha wrote: »

did they ever get that to work? and for how much??

i hear they use PPARS in soft eng classes as an example of what can go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

did they ever get that to work

I doubt it. I was being somewhat tongue in cheek in suggesting it.

PPARS failed because computers require order and logic and the system in the HSE didn't have that. It wasn't a software failure so much as a management failure.

Advertisement