Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tis the season!

• 04-12-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Lots of threads appearing these days from boardies looking to buy a fishing pressie for someone over Christmas....

So fellow anglers of boards, since its the season for splurging, what would you hope the other half, mammy and daddy or children have waiting for you under the tree on Chrsitmas morning?

I'm talking realistic stuff...not the deeds to an Alaskan fishing lodge! :P

Personally I wouldn't say no to a beach kyack for the saltwater fly fishing. Saw a guy using one lately with a fly rod and it looked like good sport. Other than that maybe a float tube for the lakes although Santa (aka herself) thinks them things are dangerous :D

Finally if she really wants to go mad (Ive been a really good boy this year ;)) a boat and engine for the big lakes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

I just hope she lets me go fishing more

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A 19ft Burke boat, to go with the engine I have :D

A fishing holiday to Argentina/New Zealand/Canada/Alaska

Neither likely to happen unless I win the lotto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

uch wrote: »
    I just hope she lets me go fishing more
    Ha Ha, my thoughts to. Although me and a mate bought a grand boat yesterday off ebay, so happy times ahead!:):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

ooh so many things I need:)

The best thing for me I think would be a weekend's fishin,need to get practising beyond the odd look & dip.

(of course also a new rod,waterproofs,flys,another fishing book,tackle bag,boat & keys to an alaskan fishing lodge wouldn't go amiss either:D)

oh & perhaps some boat lessons if there is such a thing,love the water but not great on boats,go figure

Lb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Fly vest, Fly Tying Kit, good landing net (the pike one is a bit much tbh), 5/6 rod and reel for rivers, 8/9 rod for pike on the fly, selection of pike flies... Santa is tracking this yeah? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

lol you gonna have a go for the pike on the fly man , did u hear that theres gonna be a big festival run on ree next april?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Santa is tracking this yeah? :D

Oh definitely...the mods are making a list and will be sending it off to the big man...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

lol you gonna have a go for the pike on the fly man , did u hear that theres gonna be a big festival run on ree next april?

No didn't hear, sounds like a plan!!! Best to book my Holidays around it then... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

The only thing i want for christmas is years and years of time. I'm moving to a little house in the country in february where I'm gonna set up a table for all my fly tying gear and just relax with a good coffee.

have a few books to go through, about 2 box loads... :o

if i have to buy one thing it'll be a good fly line, and thats all.
    possibly really good insoles for my old boots and some 70's and 80's angling programmes on dvd.

wishing you all a seasonal greeting of the fishy kind.

now where did i put that john gierach book...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Aaah Christmas ...
    for me it's prezzies for the kids
    tying flies
    cod bashing at 100yards out from a frosty beach at night by lamplight
    piking from the float tube
    building up another model plane
    testing it with the maiden flight
    the turkey and ham dinner with associated beverages of course
    evenings out with pals
    the staff night out

Unfortunately one has gone missing .... fishing for the first salmon of the year on the Liffey. Shame our elected representatives allowed East Coast salmon to be reduced to this for a few more votes. Those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

those were the days as right. islandbridge on jan 1 with frost on the rings of the rod, tea and ham sandwiches, lads having a few hot whiskeys in the fishing hut, yellow bellies (no such thing as flying cs back then) ah those were the days alright my man, sadly we will never see them again:(

Advertisement