Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn v Liverpool Match Thread Sat 3pm

• 04-12-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

So no Nando - makes me a sad panda:(

Don't think Babel is an option either.

Apart from that, it should be a pretty strong line-up - fingers crossed for both Gerrard and Johnson to have their match fitness fully back to 100%

Reina
    --Johnson--Carra-Agger--Insua--
    Lucas--Masch
    --Kuyt
    Gerrard----Benayoun--
    Ngog

Subs: Cavalieri, Skrtel, Aquilani, Aurelio, Voronin, Riera, Kelly

Fingers crossed for the win but I can see this being a tricky side as Blackburn at Ewood have a pretty decent record in terms of not getting beaten.
    They've only picked up 1 point in seven away games this season but have picked up 14 points in 7 home games (4W 2D 1L)

Dunn is doubtful for Blackburn and has been a key player for them so far this season. There's also the fact that Blackburn played 120 mins against Chelsea on Wednesday night.
    Torres injury latest
    4th Dec 2009 - Latest News

Fernando Torres was today ruled out of Liverpool's visit to Blackburn Rovers despite returning to training after a groin injury.

The No.9 was back on the Melwood training pitch with his teammates this week but is not 100 per cent and won't be in the squad to face Sam Allardyce's men.

Rafa Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "He has been training with the team - not full training sessions but part of them. He's doing well but he will not be ready for this game.

"He could be ready for Fiorentina. He was doing some exercises with the team and with the football but it's too soon.

"Maybe next week it will be easier."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

No Torres :eek: Going over for this one and was hoping to see him in action.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Can't see blackburn be beaten with Torres out , very difficult to beat at home and might have a little point to prove after last year.
    1-0 to the home team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Some more on Blackburn's home form under Sam.

In 24 home games (in all competions) since he took over, they've only lost 2.

Pretty tricky place to go and get a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

It just said on SS NEWS that Torres is in the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Well the bit above is from the offical site and contains quotes from Rafa.

Offical site > SSN

Linky below.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/torres-injury-latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

it says torres might be ready for the fiorentina game :eek: given the mature of his injury and that he needs rest to recuperate fully it will be a complete joke if torres misses this game and plays against fiorentina!! i would be thinking that resting torres for this game could be worth it long term as he will have a whole week extra to regain fitness as he doesnt have to worry about playing in the midweek game..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Some more on Blackburn's home form under Sam.

In 24 home games (in all competions) since he took over, they've only lost 2.

Pretty tricky place to go and get a win.

I say they are due a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This is the team I reckon Rafa will put out.

Reina
    Lucas--Masch
    --Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Aurelio--
    Ngog

Although given how poor Gerrard has been, I would have him on the bench and Yossi in his place. That way Gerrard gets to recharge his batteries and/or gets a kick up the arse to make him up his game.

Kuyt I would give an hour to before bringing Babel on in his place to run at the Blackburn LB, most likely Warnock, for the last 30 mins.

Am trying to remember how aerial Blackburn are this season, if they are very much in this vein, it would not be a surprise to see Rafa play Kyriakos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kess73 wrote: »
    This is the team I reckon Rafa will put out.

Reina
    Lucas--Masch
    --Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Aurelio--
    Ngog

Although given how poor Gerrard has been, I would have him on the bench and Yossi in his place. That way Gerrard gets to recharge his batteries and/or gets a kick up the arse to make him up his game.

Kuyt I would give an hour to before bringing Babel on in his place to run at the Blackburn LB, most likely Warnock, for the last 30 mins.

Am trying to remember how aerial Blackburn are this season, if they are very much in this vein, it would not be a surprise to see Rafa play Kyriakos

Warnock plays for Villa these days. I'm not sure that Babel is back from injury yet unfortunately, i would like to see Yossi starting in place in Kuyt to give him a break. Would like Riera left wing too, so attack quartet of;

Yossi---Gerrard---Riera
    Ngog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Imo Blackburn not having Dunn could be a bigger blow to them than Liverpool not having Torres is to us.

Pretty big game, if we win it'll be 3 on the trot and hopefully build some momentum and take some pressure off. As has been pointed out Blackburn are very solid at home but we must be looking to win this and I think we should do it.

I think a lot could depend on how we defend set pieces though. An away clean sheet would be very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So no Nando - makes me a sad panda:(

x2

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I had Liverpool to win comfortably 3-1 or 2-0 but after realising we are without Torres I would say a draw or maybe scrape a win by a goal. We are a ****e attacking force without him. Torres gets the best out of Gerrard also. N'Gog and Gerrard just do not have the same kind of understanding. I'll hold off on the N'Gog bashing though he has been putting in good effort this season despite his limitations. Definitely see a nail biting finish to the game. Neither team are going to get comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

2-2 Draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

For that game, give me Kuyt up front. He showed for his goal last week that he can both hold up and score. Allows us to put more pressure on their back 4, and play Bena from the start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This decade.

Liverpool 10 wins Draws 6 Blackburn 1 win
    That was while we were in the old first division, we beat you in the FA Cup and it was our first meeting this decade, thats right its been almost 9 years since we beat you. Liverpool are certainly not a good opponent for us and clearly on history have to be huge favourites tomorrow. The fact that your form has improved is another reason why you should be favourites.

Personally I think the key for us is to get at Glen Johnson, I've watched a lot of Liverpool games and he has not been good defensively. He really adds to the attack when he gets forward but a lot of times that Liverpool have conceded he has been MIA or out of position, Carragher looks the fool then when he fouls the guy and gives away a peno or misses a long ranger sliding tackle but the problem from what I've seen in a lot of games had been Johnson.
    We have the players to take care of Johnson tomorrow, Brett Emerton is full of energy and loves to run with the ball, that doesn't suit Johnson he just keeps backing off a player hoping for a mistake. The good thing also about Emerton is that he is a good defender so he will give Johnson a hard time when Liverpool have possession. The other player that might play there tomorrow is Pedersen, not as good going forward as he was but he is very responsible defensively. Of course we also have Hoilett and Diouf in contention for that spot.
    Up front for us I would like to see Di Santo and Kalinic, Big Sam said when we bought Kalinic that he would not be ready until close to Christmas and bang he starts against Chelsea and looks like he belongs. Di Santo we have on loan from Chelsea and he has been awesome for us this season, he hasn't been scoring goals but he creates problems for defenders and has had a hand in a lot of our goals this season in the league.
    Dunny is a gametime decision tomorrow, hopefully he can make it back and as somebody said earlier he has been our best player this year.
    Still right now is the worst time to be playing Blackburn imo, we have just beaten Chelsea in the Carling Cup, the fans are starting to call it fortress Ewood and we are very proud of our home record.
    On top of that we have so many players in contention for places right now.
    For instance in the CC, we had first team regular starters Givet, Diouf and Grella on the bench, Andrews and Dunny were out injured and Di Santo was unavaible due to contractual obligations.
    If they are all back tomorrow thats six fresh regular starters who could go straight into the first eleven.
    However players like Jacobsen, Hoilett, McCarthy, Roberts and Salgado have all been in excellent form of late.
    For the first time in as long as I can remember Blacburn Rovers have a lot of selection posers.
    Not only that but nobody has any idea what formation we are going to use. We have used a type of 4-3-3 in two games lately with great success, that was against Chelsea and for the full second half against Portsmouth. We played a diamond 4-4-2 against Bolton away, but our most successful formation at home this year has been 4-2-3-1.

Still Liverpool are one of the big four and we have always had trouble against those sides. I have to say though, given our recent form, the amount of players that are chomping at the bit for a place, our home form and the confidence that must be oozing through the players right now, along with Liverpool's less than inspiring away form, I'm pretty confident for the first time in a long, long time that we can do the job againts Liverpool tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Anybody know of any channels showing this game, or is it just another scour for decent streams come 3:00 pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Going to be a tricky one without Torres obv but I think we will scrape a 2-1 win (hopefully); however another clean sheet would be good for the confidance levels. Would obv like to see Aqualini start but prob not going to happen. Hopefully he gets at least 15 mins or so. Anyway, I'd like to see:

Reina
    --Johnson--Carra-Agger--Aurelio--
    Lucas--Masch
    --Yossi
    Gerrard----Riera

Kuyt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eagle eye wrote: »
    This decade.

Liverpool 10 wins Draws 6 Blackburn 1 win
    That was while we were in the old first division, we beat you in the FA Cup and it was our first meeting this decade, thats right its been almost 9 years since we beat you. Liverpool are certainly not a good opponent for us and clearly on history have to be huge favourites tomorrow. The fact that your form has improved is another reason why you should be favourites.

Personally I think the key for us is to get at Glen Johnson, I've watched a lot of Liverpool games and he has not been good defensively. He really adds to the attack when he gets forward but a lot of times that Liverpool have conceded he has been MIA or out of position, Carragher looks the fool then when he fouls the guy and gives away a peno or misses a long ranger sliding tackle but the problem from what I've seen in a lot of games had been Johnson.
    We have the players to take care of Johnson tomorrow, Brett Emerton is full of energy and loves to run with the ball, that doesn't suit Johnson he just keeps backing off a player hoping for a mistake. The good thing also about Emerton is that he is a good defender so he will give Johnson a hard time when Liverpool have possession. The other player that might play there tomorrow is Pedersen, not as good going forward as he was but he is very responsible defensively. Of course we also have Hoilett and Diouf in contention for that spot.
    Up front for us I would like to see Di Santo and Kalinic, Big Sam said when we bought Kalinic that he would not be ready until close to Christmas and bang he starts against Chelsea and looks like he belongs. Di Santo we have on loan from Chelsea and he has been awesome for us this season, he hasn't been scoring goals but he creates problems for defenders and has had a hand in a lot of our goals this season in the league.
    Dunny is a gametime decision tomorrow, hopefully he can make it back and as somebody said earlier he has been our best player this year.
    Still right now is the worst time to be playing Blackburn imo, we have just beaten Chelsea in the Carling Cup, the fans are starting to call it fortress Ewood and we are very proud of our home record.
    On top of that we have so many players in contention for places right now.
    For instance in the CC, we had first team regular starters Givet, Diouf and Grella on the bench, Andrews and Dunny were out injured and Di Santo was unavaible due to contractual obligations.
    If they are all back tomorrow thats six fresh regular starters who could go straight into the first eleven.
    However players like Jacobsen, Hoilett, McCarthy, Roberts and Salgado have all been in excellent form of late.
    For the first time in as long as I can remember Blacburn Rovers have a lot of selection posers.
    Not only that but nobody has any idea what formation we are going to use. We have used a type of 4-3-3 in two games lately with great success, that was against Chelsea and for the full second half against Portsmouth. We played a diamond 4-4-2 against Bolton away, but our most successful formation at home this year has been 4-2-3-1.

Still Liverpool are one of the big four and we have always had trouble against those sides. I have to say though, given our recent form, the amount of players that are chomping at the bit for a place, our home form and the confidence that must be oozing through the players right now, along with Liverpool's less than inspiring away form, I'm pretty confident for the first time in a long, long time that we can do the job againts Liverpool tomorrow.

disagree totally about Johnson.

people expected him to be defensively suspect when he arrived, but in truth, he has been our best defender by a considerable distance this season. poor posisitioning for one goal against Fiorentina is the only lapse i can think of.

Chelsea & Utd didnt get a sniff against him when they tried, and it'll be similar today if Blackburn try.

The majority of goals we've conceded this season have been from set pieces, so making out that our defence cant cope because of Johnson is strange, also the fact that even when Johnson hassnt played the same defenders cant stop conceding goals would point to your criticism being a little harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

David Dunn could be the key player for this game having scored 30% of Blackburns goals this season, he is 50/50 to start.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Warnock plays for Villa these days. I'm not sure that Babel is back from injury yet unfortunately, i would like to see Yossi starting in place in Kuyt to give him a break. Would like Riera left wing too, so attack quartet of;

Yossi---Gerrard---Riera
    Ngog

Shows how little attention I paid to the lad's career since leaving Liverpool. :D

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

people expected him to be defensively suspect when he arrived, but in truth, he has been our best defender by a considerable distance this season. poor posisitioning for one goal against Fiorentina is the only lapse i can think of.

Chelsea & Utd didnt get a sniff against him when they tried, and it'll be similar today if Blackburn try.

The majority of goals we've conceded this season have been from set pieces, so making out that our defence cant cope because of Johnson is strange, also the fact that even when Johnson hassnt played the same defenders cant stop conceding goals would point to your criticism being a little harsh.

Cannot understand how some can doubt Johnson based on how he has been for Liverpool this season.

Mr Alan's post is spot on with regards to Johnson, and he has been one of a small group of players at the club that has played well this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is this not on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You would nearly think that Emerton is a superior player after reding that post.

Not looking forward to this match at all.

Is this not on tv?

Don't think so, so streams, pub or listening to it on TodayFM are your choices methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Benny has to start this one... if he does i think we'll win by 2 or 3 goals.... if he doesn't it's going to be a very tight game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

SWAR wrote: »
    Anyway, I'd like to see:

Reina
    --Johnson--Carra-Agger--Aurelio--
    Lucas--Masch
    --Yossi
    Gerrard----Riera

Kuyt

You get your wish...well except for Aurelio....Insua instead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

tok9 wrote: »
    Benny has to start this one... if he does i think we'll win by 2 or 3 goals.... if he doesn't it's going to be a very tight game

Yossi is not worth 2-3 goals a game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mr Alan wrote: »

agree 100%.

i'm getting tired of him being labelled as bad defensively.

it's just lazy journalism, and then lazy re-hashing of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Happy enough with the Blackburn team, i would have liked to see either Roberts or even Kalinic ahead of Di santo,

plus i'm not happy with Grella, but with Dunn and Andrews not fully fit it makes sense, i just don't rate him at all from what i've seen of him.

I still expect it to be a tight affair, and if Blackburn can take their chances they can win, obvious i know. I fear an early Liverpool goal though.

• Advertisement

Yossi is not worth 2-3 goals a game!

I didn't say a game.. i was only talking about this one.... he's an excellent attacking threat and is becoming one of our most important players imo

he can create and score a goal from nothing and he can relieve the pressure off the defence... super player

edit. Really surprised Kuyt has been dropped.. the team looks really attacking

tok9 wrote: »

edit. Really surprised Kuyt has been dropped.. the team looks really attacking

He hasn't been dropped has he? he is named in the starting 11 on BBC team news for Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Really happy with the line up today, starting to look like our proper team again. I'm pretty confident about a Liverpool win today although there's always the fear.

Kuyt hasn't been dropped he's playing up front today, Wash was dropped

ya sorry just spotted that... so used to seeing him named on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Congrats to steven gerrard today, 500th appearance for liverpool.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Congrats to steven gerrard today, 500th appearance for liverpool.

Yeah against the team he made his debut against,

mad how things pan out,

congrats to him, but hope he has a stinker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Benitez picked the same starting eleven I would have :confused:. Somethings not right here :pac:. Delighted with the line up. Think we will scrape a 1-0 or 2-1 win today. Hope to Christ Aquaman gets 20 minutes +. Be great to see him bag or set up a goal to give him a much needed confidence booster.

Yeah against the team he made his debut against,

mad how things pan out,

congrats to him, but hope he has a stinker :D

He has been pretty poor all season, with luck today is the day that he bucks that trend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

any streams guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wow, liverpool don't seem up for this at all yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, liverpool don't seem up for this at all yet.

Where you getting to see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

coco06 wrote: »
    I am getting channel off air message.. have they picked up their game yet?

Restart sopcast and try again.

No, they havent. Playing pretty poorly. Lots of sloppy passing and havent created anything yet. I also hate when Kuyt is a lone striker. Hes not quick enough or clinical enough to play that position and he keeps dropping deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lads there is to be no stream discussion in match threads.

Post here -

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055680428

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Jesus christ, passing has been awful so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sigh...

Blackburns CBs are so big I can see Kuyt getting feck all out of this unless its an assist back to Gerrard/Yossi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Pool fans are in fine voice today ... you'd swear we were at home! :D

GBX wrote: »
    The Pool fans are in fine voice today ... you'd swear we were at home! :D

The mic is in front of the away end :D

Hospital pass from Lucas, everything is too long or too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

this is complete boll*cks

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

By the sounds of this game, it's just as well I'm stuck in work and can't watch it. Bring on Aquilani please Rafa for a bit of creativity hopefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement