Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn v Liverpool Match Thread Sat 3pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It goes to show how uneventful this game was if this is all people are going on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

So are you going to answer my question? Are you a United fan and do you feel the same about Rooney?

I cant remember the last time Rooneys dived, but i always hated that aspect of Ronaldo's game too, I can see why you are defending him as he is a player for your favorite team but are you really going to condone him diving?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It turned out to be a nothing incident, as he failed.

And if i'm the one who seems bothered, i pointed it out at the time, and have commented again in response to Liverpool fans dismissing it.

Goes against th fair play of the game though that we have been hearing about the last couple of weeks.

curry-muff wrote: »
    I cant remember the last time Rooneys dived, but i always hated that aspect of Ronaldo's game too, I can see why you are defending him as he is a player for your favorite team but are you really going to condone him diving?

I'm not condoning it, it happens everywhere i just find it funny that supporters of rival teams get all up in arms about it conveniantly forgetting that its worked out in their favour a few times. I also found it funny that you said you think Gerrard diving today was worse than Henry's handball.

I'm not condoning it, it happens everywhere i just find it funny that supporters of rival teams get all up in arms about it conveniantly forgetting that its worked out in their favour a few times. I also found it funny that you said you think Gerrard diving today was worse than Henry's handball.

When did i say that, i said the man as a person sickens me more, as a repeat offender and a hypocrite. Get your facts right before making accusations ;)

• Advertisement

Fans have been going on about fair play since the Henry incident, does this not go against fair play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

appalling performance from what i saw.

diving's not to be condoned, but it is certainly not a talking point here. he went down easily as they say. not good, and i'd love it eradicated but every team has players that do it regularly.

the worst thing that goes on in all these threads is opposing fans getting on their high horse about this sort of thing every time a player does it.

it gets old very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

When did i say that, i said the man as a person sickens me more, as a repeat offender and a hypocrite.

why do you say this, when i know you wouldn't say the same about Spud?

seriously.

it's getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So all those on their high horse also condemn Robbie Keane for his hand balls V France?

When did i say that, i said the man as a person sickens me more, as a repeat offender and a hypocrite. Get your facts right before making accusations ;)

So by that token Rooney as a person sickens you? Grand we've cleared that up so.
    OPENROAD Fans have been going on about fair play since the Henry incident, does this not go against fair play?

You think every player in the world should now have a little think before they go down easy, handle a ball or make a rash challenge all because of the Thierry Henry incident? football doesn't work like that.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I'm talking about fans/media taking taking the high moral ground which they have in light of the Henry incident, we have heard nothing but talk of fair play in the game and how punishment should be dished out to Henry.

Anyway might be worth a thread of its own as possibly we are are going OT.

Moral highground? you think when a footballer walks out on to that pitch he's thinking about taking the moral highground because of an injustice to poor little Ireland? They're thinking about winning and that's it. Unless there are rule changes this will stay the same.

Moral highground? you think when a footballer walks out on to that pitch he's thinking about taking the moral highground because of an injustice to poor little Ireland? They're thinking about winning and that's it. Unless there are rule changes this will stay the same.

I'm not talking about footballers.

I'm not talking about footballers.

What are you talking about then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Am I the only one who thinks it's blindingly obvious that Rafa would have thrown Aquilani on in a league match over the last 4 weeks or so if we had been going into the last 30 minutes 2 or 3 up having completely battered a side into uninterested submission?

I think Rafa's approach with Aquilani is spot on, and I'm not even privvy to his current medical condition.

Today was another depressing league match. Season 09/10 be gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

spockety wrote: »
    I think Rafa's approach with Aquilani is spot on,

Since when was spending 20 million on an injured player considered good management? I must have missed that class.

Am I the only one who thinks it's blindingly obvious that Rafa would have thrown Aquilani on in a league match over the last 4 weeks or so if we had been going into the last 30 minutes 2 or 3 up having completely battered a side into uninterested submission?

I think Rafa's approach with Aquilani is spot on, and I'm not even privvy to his current medical condition.

I think that's whats going on here also but i think its just the caution and negativity that has everybody frustrated here, it's my main gripe with him as a manager, he's too pragmatic at times.

Since when was spending 20 million on an injured player considered good management? I must have missed that class.

That's not the only class you missed buddy as thats not what he was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    appalling performance from what i saw.

diving's not to be condoned, but it is certainly not a talking point here. he went down easily as they say. not good, and i'd love it eradicated but every team has players that do it regularly.

the worst thing that goes on in all these threads is opposing fans getting on their high horse about this sort of thing every time a player does it.

it gets old very quickly.
    I agree with you to a certain extent. As far as this game goes, it didn't end up costing either side and so its a nothing incident now.

The problem for fans of most opposing teams though is that we have had too many experiences of big four teams getting bad calls go their way in situations like this, and also genuine fouls in the box not acted upon when our teams are playing a big four side.
    Blackburn have had clear penalties turned down against Arsenal this year, and United last season. While I'm not saying that the one in the Arsenal game would have ended up in points for us, it would have more than likely leveled the scoring at 3-3 but intstead we had to continue chasing the game and got destroyed. In the United game it would have gotten us a point.
    On top of that we have seen so many players from those clubs who have been on yellow cards not get a second one for a bad challenge in games against teams like us.
    Its just a case that referees are willing to give the benefit of doubt to those clubs due to their fear of getting one wrong and the sh1tstorm that ensues and they end up reffing in league 2 for a game or even more.
    Remember what happened to Mark Halsey after he red carded Terry last year against City?

*clap clap*

Absolutely awesome post, dude.

So by that token Rooney as a person sickens you? Grand we've cleared that up so.

You think every player in the world should now have a little think before they go down easy, handle a ball or make a rash challenge all because of the Thierry Henry incident? football doesn't work like that.

As ive said Rooney does it far less frequently than Gerrard and you dont see Rooney bitching about other players doing it :rolleyes:

I also find it funny that you are saying he 'went down easy', there was no contact at all, its a whole different thing.

• Advertisement

That's ok, I got a sick note from Aquilani's doctor.

Oh god, that's just tragic.

As ive said Rooney does it far less frequently than Gerrard and you dont see Rooney bitching about other players doing it :rolleyes:

I also find it funny that you are saying he 'went down easy', there was no contact at all, its a whole different thing.

Your unashamed bias is laughable my friend, let's end this silly arguement now. I don't know if you've heard but Utd. won 4-0 today why don't you enjoy your win instead of taking shots at your rivals, you'll find you'll enjoy football more that way.

I am enjoying it, and rightly so, we have proved we can deal with injuries ;)

Just admit that Gerrard dived with no contact and ill give over :rolleyes:

I am enjoying it, and rightly so, we have proved we can deal with injuries ;)

Just admit that Gerrard dived with no contact and ill give over :rolleyes:

He dived alright, now go out and enjoy your win and when you get home don't try to lose too much sleep over Steven Gerrard tonight I know you'll find it hard to keep him out of your head.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On the game itself, delighted we got a point obviously. I have to tip my hat to Glen Johnson, the best Liverpool player on the pitch today. I thought he was the one we could get at today, I couldn't have been more wrong.

What Rovers will take out of this game is that our back four continue to look better. Thats our third clean sheet in four games. Our home record is something to be very proud of since Sam Allardyce took over. We are still short a cental midfielder, we don't have much money either but maybe Big Sam can find another gem like Steven N'Zonzi. We got him from Amiens who were relegated to the third flight in France this season, what a find and he only cost something like 900k total and that included bonus money for appearances. Up front is our biggest problem, David Dunn has been playing in a role similar to what Gerard played last season and has been finding the net consistently. I hope we get to hold onto Di Santo for the rest of the season, the guy is a very special talent and is going to be a star in this league. I notice a fellow Rovers fan doesn't think so, but some people get carried away with the notion that a striker has to score regularly to be worth his place. Di Santo has now played 10 league games for Rovers, we have scored 13 goals in those games and have only scored 3(all against Wolves) in our other five games. While he isn't scoring he is involved in almost every goal we do score. I firmly believe that its only a matter of time before he starts putting them away also.

The one thing I will say though is that Liverpool fans should not feel too disheartened by this, we have a tremendous record at home and as I've said above we have three clean sheets in four league games now. I think you could not have faced us at a worse time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eagle eye wrote: »
    I hope we get to hold onto Di Santo for the rest of the season, the guy is a very special talent and is going to be a star in this league. I notice a fellow Rovers fan doesn't think so, but some people get carried away with the notion that a striker has to score regularly to be worth his place.

I'm not a big fan of Di Santo - i have seen him miss glaring chances this season, the one today he had so much time and could do nothing with it.

The other aspects of his game Roberts can do easily, Kalinic is showing he is the same type player too and could play a lone striker role.

I just don't like the idea of using him ahead of players who will be here longer, i know the other lads are not quite fit - but leaving that aside there is no way we can afford the guy, and i'd be quite happy to see him return to Chelsea in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

huh?

are you suggesting he constantly uses up a space on the bench INCASE you win 2/3 nil so he can get 15/20 minitues?

Awsome.

ntlbell wrote: »
    huh?

are you suggesting he constantly uses up a space on the bench INCASE you win 2/3 nil so he can get 15/20 minitues?

Awsome.

Yes, I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sure managers do it all the time for young players. Fergie often puts kids on the bench so he can put them on should we be winning comfortably. It's the reason that the subs bench was increased to 7 rather than 5, to give the kids a chance. It's damm good sense really.

The things people choose to care about. Blame Rafa for not putting Aquilani on or for not being able to get a team that man for man is better than Blackburn to beat them for whatever tactical/man management reason. So very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If thats the case hes never gonna start a game.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

PHB wrote: »
    Sure managers do it all the time for young players. Fergie often puts kids on the bench so he can put them on should we be winning comfortably. It's the reason that the subs bench was increased to 7 rather than 5, to give the kids a chance. It's damm good sense really.

The things people choose to care about. Blame Rafa for not putting Aquilani on or for not being able to get a team that man for man is better than Blackburn to beat them for whatever tactical/man management reason. So very odd.

The difference is that "young player" will be normally fit and be able to play.

filling up a place on the bench with dead wood week after week is not good sense imo he'd get fitter walking roy's dog than sitting there scratching his back side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ntlbell wrote: »
    huh?

Awsome.

It's amazing how even simple things can be so difficult to understand when you are extremely biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

flahavaj wrote: »
    If thats the case hes never gonna start a game.:pac:
    Well said. Whelan made good point last night. Aquilani could be doing some constructive drills up in training ground rather than sitting out on bench. If he is fit to be on bench he is fit to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Aqua not playing is not the reasons for Liverpool's close to woeful season so far - he could turn out not living up to the ultra high expectation that some people appear too have set for him.
    Rafa bought him injured, and this injury turns out to keep him out for longer than expected, when he does eventually appear to make a recovery he is kept out of the first 11 and not brought on "in case he makes a mistake that causes points to be lost". Now, correct me if I am wrong but in every game players make mistakes to cause points to be lost and Liverpool have more players doing this per game at the moment than any of the "original" top 4.

Who is to say that Aqua will get injured again anyway, he is a bit of a Saha in fairness.

No, the causes of Liverpools problems run deeper than one player who hasnt played yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

kippy wrote: »
    No, the causes of Liverpools problems run deeper than one player who hasnt played yet.

They do but it certainly doesn't help, center mid is a very important position and Lucas is just not up to standard. If he had been playing him he would have been match fit long ago but instead he chooses to stay with Lucas who makes mistakes anyway. He must rate Lucas very highly because if he bought Aquilani injured he must consider him to be worth around 25m.
    Add this to the fact that Rafa brought on El Zhar for a player who has probably been our most effective this season, surely Aquilani would be expected to be more effective than El Zhar (Id be worried if he isn't), bringing on El Zhar has to be a bigger gamble
    kippy wrote: »
    Who is to say that Aqua will get injured again anyway, he is a bit of a Saha in fairness.

If rafa believes he's a bit of a Saha then he shouldn't have bought him let alone pay 20m for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Well said. Whelan made good point last night. Aquilani could be doing some constructive drills up in training ground rather than sitting out on bench. If he is fit to be on bench he is fit to play.

thats not necessarily true. have you ever tried to sit on a bench? have you ever tried playing a game of footbal in the english premier league, one of the best leagues in the world?? no..but which do you think is easier?

i hate this attitude of if he is fit to sit on the bench he should play/start. and for whelan to suggest he should be doing training drills at the training ground instead of sitting on the bench is just silly. im not even gonna start. sometimes benitez just makes decisions that infuraites people for what seems like no reason. it doesnt mean that aquaman is not fit to play. im pretty sure nobody ever suggested he wasnt fit to get some minutes however benitez chose not to play him for whatever reason...personally i would given gametime to aquaman over el zhar. i do not see el zhar ever making the grade at liverpool anyway. isint he 23 already and he has made even less of an impression that babel!

mormank wrote: »
    thats not necessarily true. have you ever tried to sit on a bench? have you ever tried playing a game of footbal in the english premier league, one of the best leagues in the world?? no..but which do you think is easier?

i hate this attitude of if he is fit to sit on the bench he should play/start. and for whelan to suggest he should be doing training drills at the training ground instead of sitting on the bench is just silly. im not even gonna start. sometimes benitez just makes decisions that infuraites people for what seems like no reason. it doesnt mean that aquaman is not fit to play. im pretty sure nobody ever suggested he wasnt fit to get some minutes however benitez chose not to play him for whatever reason...personally i would given gametime to aquaman over el zhar. i do not see el zhar ever making the grade at liverpool anyway. isint he 23 already and he has made even less of an impression that babel!
    The point Whelan was making is if Aqualani is training competitively he will benefit more than sitting on a bench where the likelihood is Rafa wont play him. In any case he starts on Wednesday if thats what Im hearing. It will be a game of no consequence but at least we will get a proper look at him. Btw are Setanta showing game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is just an utterly abusrd argument, like seriously nuts.

Aquilani is fit enough to run for 90 minutes, but not match fit.
    That means that his touch, his movement, his passes will be all of a lower quality.

You only get match fit by playing matches, no amount of training will do that. That's why everybody is ****e in the first 2 or 3 weeks of football, and why all the teams play over 6 pre-season games to get the match fitness back.

Aquilani is not yet match fit. He needs game time. But Rafa won't risk it because he doesn't think that a non-match fit Aquilani can start a game. But if he nevers puts him on the bench, he won't ever get a chance to make him match fit.

It's really really simple. Like absurdly simple.

Cant be good for Aquilani to be sitting on the bench for that long. But lets see how he gets on Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Cant be good for Aquilani to be sitting on the bench for that long. But lets see how he gets on Wednesday

I'm seriously expecting him to be ruled out for a month soon with a splinter in his hole.:pac:

Hopefully the Fiorentina lads will be nice enough not to tackle him too hard on Wednesday or anything.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm seriously expecting him to be ruled out for a month soon with a splinter in his hole.:pac:

Hopefully the Fiorentina lads will be nice enough not to tackle him too hard on Wednesday or anything.
    Hole splinters. Think Macca had a bit of that with Real Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The point Whelan was making is if Aqualani is training competitively he will benefit more than sitting on a bench where the likelihood is Rafa wont play him. In any case he starts on Wednesday if thats what Im hearing. It will be a game of no consequence but at least we will get a proper look at him. Btw are Setanta showing game?

If Whelan did say that, then that bloke is just getting more and more thick by the week.
    Aqualiani probably is training competitively, but it doesn't mean he needs to be doing it between the hours of 3pm and 5pm yesterday afternoon just in case he doesn't get a game
    Depending on the way the match went, he might have got on. And by actually being at the match, despite not playing, at least he can see how the team play, what Rafa expects etc. He can still actually learn from the bench while waiting for his chance and getting used to his teammates on away trips.
    Then next week, when the lads are training competitively, he can do his drills along with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Well i expect Aqualani to start Wednesday night,its a nothing game against a team he will be very familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

But Rooney has come out and said he never cheats

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wayne-Rooney-I-am-not-a-diver-article143601.html

which is a complete lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Thanks for that, nice to see the poll going the right way.

Clear as day dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Thanks for that, nice to see the poll going the right way.

Clear as day dive.

pretty conclusive - according to f365 MOTD didn't show the incident - wonder why

monkey9 wrote: »
    If Whelan did say that, then that bloke is just getting more and more thick by the week.
    Aqualiani probably is training competitively, but it doesn't mean he needs to be doing it between the hours of 3pm and 5pm yesterday afternoon just in case he doesn't get a game
    Depending on the way the match went, he might have got on. And by actually being at the match, despite not playing, at least he can see how the team play, what Rafa expects etc. He can still actually learn from the bench while waiting for his chance and getting used to his teammates on away trips.
    Then next week, when the lads are training competitively, he can do his drills along with them.
    Yes just to clarify what Whelan said on Aquilani. This is pretty much what he said after game on Saturday

"If he isn't fit, he shouldn't have him on the bench, he should be back at Melwood playing ninety minutes behind closed doors.
    If he is fit he should be brought on for last fifteen minutes. Mascherano and Lucas are not opening the play up."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That site is run by someone who refuses to meet for talks with Liverpool fans Union SOS re:the slanderous articles he's written about them & give interviews to the republic of mancunia website slating Liverpool. also a few articles in the last few weeks singing the praises of our american owners claiming they saved our club.

either its someone on a wind up or the person involved is beyond help.

re:the diving incident, only saw it live, thought the lad stood on his foot, haven't seen it since maybe he went gone down easy, meh tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That site is run by someone who refuses to meet for talks with Liverpool fans Union SOS re:the slanderous articles he's written about them & give interviews to the republic of mancunia website slating Liverpool. also a few articles in the last few weeks singing the praises of our american owners claiming they saved our club.

either its someone on a wind up or the person involved is beyond help.

re:the diving incident, only saw it live, thought the lad stood on his foot, haven't seen it since maybe he went gone down easy, meh tbh.

video is on the link , no contact 100%

you mean that site might actually tell the truth and be critical and not be a Rafa ar$e licking site?

• Advertisement
Advertisement