Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A call to all Lower Paid PS Workers

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

RMDrive wrote: »
    I never shout. Yeah I've (really) read it and there's definitely some interesting stuff there. Don't know if I understand it but then that's probably just me!
    Why did you think I would shout?
    Sorry! ... just about everyone else around here seems more interested in shouting rather than listening these days when the words "public service" get mentioned!

I made an unfair assumption, and given that I have been criticising others for making assumptions, I offer you my apologies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Sorry! ... just about everyone else around here seems more interested in shouting rather than listening these days when the words "public service" get mentioned!

I made an unfair assumption, and given that I have been criticising others for making assumptions, I offer you my apologies!!

No worries. This corner of the house has some fairly polarised views all right. Indeed the purpose of my post to Alan Rouge was to highlight the high demands put on posts in this area. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Anyway, I'm going to slink back to my more familiar role as a lurker! Tis dangerous putting your head above the parapet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

ntlbell wrote: »
    can you give us the figures % of ps workers that are in full time permanent to those on contracts then?

well by the time the government are finished with us we might still be in full time employment but we wont be able to look outside the door we wont have a penny and im only speaking for the lower paid PS workers, the ones like myself on 484 a week and looking at another 30 or 40 euro cut after wednesday!! my neighbour is a single mother of 4 kids she doesnt work and she is laughing at me for working for that much a week, she is getting twice that from social welfare every week! can someone explain to me how that is right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We have a duty of care to the children of Ireland, but via John Player and Dutch Gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

bmmck wrote: »
    well by the time the government are finished with us we might still be in full time employment but we wont be able to look outside the door we wont have a penny and im only speaking for the lower paid PS workers, the ones like myself on 484 a week and looking at another 30 or 40 euro cut after wednesday!! my neighbour is a single mother of 4 kids she doesnt work and she is laughing at me for working for that much a week, she is getting twice that from social welfare every week! can someone explain to me how that is right?

yet you have much less of a voice beit at table talks or the media than she does

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

prime time programme last night said it all social welfare fraud is rampant and funny how the minister was not available to comment...... I agree there are people in the PS paid way too much, but its not the person that answers the phone and process the claims in social welfare, revenue etc, our HEOs, APs, POs etc etc are raking it in, so much so that the union that the APs are in are not striking anymore as the 7% cut or whatever it may be is only peanuts to them, the media make me laugh they say the average civil servant is on 700 a week....... i wish. 484 in my case and 450 after the budget I reckon! if I had a kid id be entitled to FIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

But you don't and the kid would cost in excess of 9K a year (I believe)

I know which I'd rather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The country's not going broke. The state's finances are trouble because the tax take is down. No fear of the country going broke.

:rolleyes: Are you having a larf? We're roughly spending 40% more than is coming in. The unions want us to spread the cuts out over a number years by which point the interest accrued will probably outstrip any savings. The cuts have to be made now if we're to have any chance because I can't see things getting better for a good few years at least.
    Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Who is on 35grand a year? Nearly half of the public sector are earning about 30grand or less.

And half of the working population don't pay tax the Government tell us, yet they have full access to the same public facilities as anyone else. So where does that put the rest of the earners in the country I wonder?

Advertisement