Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Paw

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My dog, Daisy a Bichon Frise has been having troubles lately with her back paw.

It got very raw looking, so I brought her to the vet. it turns out that she has got into the habit of chewing it, and it will heal.

The vet supplied cream to put on it, and also recommended clove oil for the healing process, she's also on tablets.

the problem is, she's still licking/chewing the paw (when were not around, because we stop her if we see her at it) and she's got sick twice from the taste of the clove oil.

Is there anything else I can apply to help it heal?, because the clove oil is not going down well with her stomach, and she isin't stopping licking/chewing even though it's making her sick

cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

can you get some doggie boots on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Paul91 wrote: »
    can you get some doggie boots on her?

sorry, it's more up her leg a little bit, not on her actual paw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Ask your vet for a Buster or Elizabethan collar, cost about €5, not sure why he didn't supply you with one in the first place. This will prevent her getting at the leg when you're not there to keep an eye on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Kevin! wrote: »
    it turns out that she has got into the habit of chewing it

You need to find out why she is chewing her leg. It's not natural for a dog to do this.
    Has she got a skin condition that makes it itch and this is how she scratches?
    Is she bored?
    Have you any other dogs in the house?

Surprised the vet didn't try to find an underlying health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Our bichon used to bite her back leg too. It turned that her anal glands were full. After the vet emptied them she never bothered with biting her leg again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Also the food can cause skin irritations etc so if you have recently changed her brand of food it could be that.

She could be allergic to something on her bed, maybe new washing powder if you wash it regularly.

As other people have mentioned you need to find out whats causing her to chew as if she will continue to do so even with tablets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

andreac wrote: »
    Also the food can cause skin irritations etc so if you have recently changed her brand of food it could be that.

She could be allergic to something on her bed, maybe new washing powder if you wash it regularly.

As other people have mentioned you need to find out whats causing her to chew as if she will continue to do so even with tablets etc.

Vet said it was a mental issue, and not down to any living conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well if that's the case then I'm afraid cream and clove oil is not going to solve your problem. She'll keep doing it until you can find a reason for her doing it if you can even find a reason.

Get her glands checked. Get a collar and let the leg heal. If she's still at it after it's healed then you've got a problem and will need to get to the root of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask why he thought it was a mental issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Do you by any chance have an older dog in the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

My dog had the same problem, he wouldn't leave it alone. We had to wrap it up in bandages to keep him from trying to lick it. It did work.

Advertisement