Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hartson on the road to recovery.

• 04-12-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

Former Wales international footballer John Hartson has spoken of his relief at being told cancer has been "virtually eradicated" from his body.

The ex-Arsenal and Celtic striker was diagnosed in July with testicular cancer that had spread to his brain.

He was admitted to hospital in his home city of Swansea, where he was told the disease had also spread to his lungs.

Hartson, 34, said: "I'm not out of the woods yet, though this is my brightest day for a long time."

The footballer underwent emergency surgery after he was diagnosed with cancer.

He went home from hospital in Swansea in August after completing the first phase of his chemotherapy treatment.

We've all been through so much and to get the news from the doctors that the cancer is going from me is fantastic
    John Hartson

His agent Mark Brodie released a statement saying the cancer had been "virtually eradicated".

However, he said the footballer, who went on to become a TV pundit, still has an "arduous journey ahead to complete recovery" and requires extensive surgery to remove "abnormal masses" in his lung and brain over the forthcoming months.

But Hartson said the latest news is a huge boost.

"We've all been through so much and to get the news from the doctors that the cancer is going from me is fantastic," he said.

"I would like to thank every single person that has taken the time to either write to me, phone me or leave a message online, your ongoing support is helping me through the battle of my life and is keeping Sarah and the kids upbeat in such terrifying circumstances.

"I'm not out of the woods yet, though this is my brightest day for a long time."

He said well-wishers including cyclist and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong, and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, had kept him fighting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8394822.stm
    Great news for the big man.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Great News , hope the treatment keeps going in this direction .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

great to hear.

awesome to see him smiling as well when reading through the BBC website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8394822.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Good News Indeed.

Guess the quote:

""Bill, Hartson is not a 7million pound player...its a disgrace, a shambles! This is the state of football today Bill. I have a clip here of why Hartson is NOT a £7million player....Roll it there Bill!(literally 1 second in to the clip) OKAY, HOLD IT THERE BILL!!! (draws a circle around Hartson's arse) Bill, that is NOT the arse of a £7million player!''

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

fantastic news, he was on deaths door at one stage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought he was a gonner. Well pleased he is recovering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Never liked the guy, in fact I think he's a scumbag but if it gives hopes to other cancer sufferers, I do hope he makes a full recovery. Not many come through what he's been through, so fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

flanzer wrote: »
    Never liked the guy, in fact I think he's a scumbag but if it gives hopes to other cancer sufferers, I do hope he makes a full recovery. Not many come through what he's been through, so fair play to him

I think Hartson was one of those players that if he played for your team you loved him, if not you hated him. A bit like Craig Bellamy.

Very good to hear, I too thought he was on his way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great news. Was watching Soccer AM a few weeks ago and he was on the phone talking. Sad to hear him really but this is excellent news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Brilliant. I'm delighted for the big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Great to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

thought he was fubared, cancer in the brain and he is on the road to recovery, not many would survive that

hope he gets back to full health, peoples opinion of him should not distract from a terminal illness like cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Great news. The first Celtic players' name that I knew.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think Hartson was one of those players that if he played for your team you loved him, if not you hated him. A bit like Craig Bellamy.

Very good to hear, I too thought he was on his way out.

This always stuck in my mind. Not nice. To go for the head is low. But as I said if it gives hopes to other cancer sufferers, I do hope he makes a full recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If you ever supported Celtic when Berkovic was playing, you can understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bump.

Just flicked over to the West Ham - Arsenal game and seen that John Hartson is in the studio. Great to see, and he's looking as well as ever! Fair play to the big lad, He's winning (if not already won) the biggest battle of his life. Puts a lot of things we get upset (and delighted) about in here into perspective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Archimedes wrote: »
    Bump.

Just flicked over to the West Ham - Arsenal game and seen that John Hartson is in the studio. Great to see, and he's looking as well as ever! Fair play to the big lad, He's winning (if not already won) the biggest battle of his life. Puts a lot of things we get upset (and delighted) about in here into perspective!

Aye this and the news that Mrs van der Sar is making a good recovery puts it all in perspective really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I always liked Hartson, I really hope he pulls through this.
    If you ever supported Celtic when Berkovic was playing, you can understand it
    Is that because of how he played, or just because of the person he was?
    As far as I know, Berkovic wasn't like by a lot of players at all his clubs. The Israeli Craig Bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

great to see hartson in the studio for the cup game.he seems to be in good form and looking healthy.

Advertisement