Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50D General Consensus

• 04-12-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading from my trusty 350d. I've had it a good few years now and I'd like something a little more high-spec, mostly with regard to noise handling. Other than that, the 6.5fps looks quite nice though it's not essential. I've a grip on the 350d and my main question would be how does the 50D feel in-hand without a grip? I'd settle for a 40D but am reluctant to buy second hand. Oh and I mostly shoot landscape but would have a crack and anything at all.

I know Canon roll out a new model every 9 months or so these days but is there a 60D right around the corner? Anything else I'm missing here? Build-wise I'm assuming high-spec, yeah?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭couscous007

TelePaul wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading from my trusty 350d. I've had it a good few years now and I'd like something a little more high-spec, mostly with regard to noise handling. Other than that, the 6.5fps looks quite nice though it's not essential. I've a grip on the 350d and my main question would be how does the 50D feel in-hand without a grip? I'd settle for a 40D but am reluctant to buy second hand. Oh and I mostly shoot landscape but would have a crack and anything at all.

I know Canon roll out a new model every 9 months or so these days but is there a 60D right around the corner? Anything else I'm missing here? Build-wise I'm assuming high-spec, yeah?

I was about to call the same - i have a more or less identical situation - i'll watch with great interest. A photographic technician friend of mine informed that the 40D is a fine piece of kit and reliable in every scenario. But said the 50D is amazing. So we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I was about to call the same - i have a more or less identical situation - i'll watch with great interest. A photographic technician friend of mine informed that the 40D is a fine piece of kit and reliable in every scenario. But said the 50D is amazing. So we'll see

Great, two problems solved for the price of one! I've a few bits of glass, and the laternative is buying more, and maybe a flash...just worried the 350D will give up the ghost and i'll have a bunch of nice lenses I can't use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I went 350d (no grip) to 50d and it's a great camera. If you already have a few nice lenses go for it.The 350d feels like a toy when I use it now (as a back up and if I'm going somewhere dodgy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I went from a 400D to a 50D, no regrets, a great camera for what I need. I bought a grip as I have large hands and it is easier to shoot portrait as there are additional buttons on the grip.

Okay lets see, in terms of specifics, will the Digic 4 processor allow to take better pictures? Be it down to improved noise handling, better dynamic control, better saturation and colour rendering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I recently moved up from an Olympus entry level job (similar in size to 350D) to a 40D and it's like chalk and cheese! It's HUGE in your hand compared to the smaller model but not at all uncomfortable - in fact it's easier to hold because there's more of it. Add a biggish lens like the 28-135mm IS USM and it's even better.

You won't regret it if you do decide and I wouldn't rule out a second hand 40D either - there's a couple on adverts.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You won't regret it if you do decide and I wouldn't rule out a second hand 40D either - there's a couple on adverts.ie.

I was looking at a new 50D and was about to buy, when some reviews pointed out that, in some instances, there was excessive noise due to the greater MP count on an APS-C sensor. Couldn't source a new 40D at the time (upgrading from a 450D) so bought a mint 40D with under 3,000 shutter actuations.

Bought an f/2.8 17-55 Canon lens, and I haven't looked back. Great camera. However, don't rule the 50D out - but do some research first.:)

Here's a couple of samples taken with the 40D:

3939587455_b26c53b0f1.jpg

3976227135_461674e0e8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I was looking at a new 50D and was about to buy, when some reviews pointed out that, in some instances, there was excessive noise due to the greater MP count on an APS-C sensor. Couldn't source a new 40D at the time (upgrading from a 450D) so bought a mint 40D with under 3,000 shutter actuations.

Bought an f/2.8 17-55 Canon lens, and I haven't looked back. Great camera. However, don't rule the 50D out - but do some research first.:)

Here's a couple of samples taken with the 40D:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/3939587455_b26c53b0f1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3976227135_461674e0e8.jpg
    Glad to hear positive reviews of the 40d - i'm currently awaiting delivery of a used one from the UK with about 5,000 shutter actuations. Christmas coming early :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Glad to hear positive reviews of the 40d - i'm currently awaiting delivery of a used one from the UK with about 5,000 shutter actuations. Christmas coming early :D

Enjoy!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I read a side by side review of the 40D/50D on dpreview, I thought the 40D seemed like the better camera. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I also read several reviews which suggested that the 40d handled noise betterdue to lower megapixel count, so I went with a mint used 40d as well and bought a nice macro lens with the difference :) But then again I buy almost everything second hand and have no qualms about it. I would suggest buying from a local person (e.g. through adverts) so you can meet them and try out the camera before handing over your money.

With regards to how a 50d feels in your hand just ask to see one in a local photo shop.

Most pictures on my flickr are taken with a 40d if you want to see samples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I purchased a 40D from Komplett a couple of weeks back. It was advertised an ex Demo (or something) model. If it was an ex demo it was obviously kept behind a glass case or something. Everything untouched. All accessories sealed in packets and body hadn't got a finger print on it. So brand new basically. 500eur.

So maybe worth keep an eye out for or inquiring about....there must be a few still knocking about.

symbolic wrote: »
    I purchased a 40D from Komplett a couple of weeks back. It was advertised an ex Demo (or something) model. If it was an ex demo it was obviously kept behind a glass case or something. Everything untouched. All accessories sealed in packets and body hadn't got a finger print on it. So brand new basically. 500eur.

So maybe worth keep an eye out for or inquiring about....there must be a few still knocking about.

Cheers for that mate! I'll defo have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

DutchGuy wrote: »
    Most pictures on my flickr are taken with a 40d if you want to see samples.

some nice stuff there, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

TelePaul wrote: »
    Okay lets see, in terms of specifics, will the Digic 4 processor allow to take better pictures? Be it down to improved noise handling, better dynamic control, better saturation and colour rendering?

the honest answer that most people don't like to hear is that with the final images you produce, with either camera, it will be almost impossible to tell which was taken with which camera.

Large prints (18x12 and bigger) at high iso's 1600 and above will show the most difference but in real world situations, the images won't be all that different.

Good exposure to start with and good post processing, will make far more difference.

I shoot on a 5DII and a 20D and people can rarely tell the difference and even if they can, it doesn't mean the 20D images are bad

Advertisement