Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spiced beef

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

hi all
    for the 1st time , this year i have bought spiced beef but have no idea how to cook it ! any help would be appreciated.
    thanks... ho ho ho

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cleire1

Put it in a saucepan, cover it with water and boil it- half an hour to the pound. Once it is boiled, leave it rest in the water.

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

thank you so much . some one told me i should roast it in the oven but i guess not ?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

why not ask the butchers in the english market....might get some different idea's, from the old lads there

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Roast it like any cut of beef, although adding a bit of water to the bottom of the roasting dish is a good idea to keep it moist - and make some gravy!

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/beef/Pages/TraditionalDrySpicedBeef.aspx

omg..
    i looked up that recipe . thanks, 5 hours in the oven does sound excessive though. i did ask a friend of a friends mam and she said boil it like bacon ???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Thanks for asking this question and thanks for the answers, cause I always wondered about this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Don't roast your spiced beef.. it's supposed to be boiled and the resting in the water thing as someone has already mentioned is very important. I love christmas sandwiches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 nolo77

Definitely don't roast it - you are supposed to boil it! Darina Allen suggests covering it in cold water and boiling a 3 - 4lbs piece for 2 to 3 hours until soft. Also, I'd advise you check the meat during cooking and top up with boiled water if too much has evaporated.

ok im def going with the boiling method. i should keep it totally immersed in water all the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

you need to add half a can of murphy's at some point.
    scuby wrote: »
    why not ask the butchers in the english market....might get some different idea's, from the old lads there

this is a brilliant suggestion. the butchers are usually very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

deRanged wrote: »
    you need to add half a can of murphy's at some point.

this is a brilliant suggestion. the butchers are usually very helpful.

BTW the Beamish or Murphys is added to the beef when its being roasted, you seal the joint in and raise it above the liquid on a baking rack. We used to boil but now its so much easier to roast as you don't have to stand over it / keep an eye on etc

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

My mum puts the spiced beef into a small clean pillowcase and ties it up with string (like you do with bacon) before cooking. This stops the cooking water washing too much of the spice off while it is simmering. She takes the cloth off after it is cold, again to keep as much of the spice intact as possible. AFAIK, the timing is 30mins/lb + 30mins; start timing from when the water reaches simmering, not when you put it on in the cold water at the start. Also, take it out of the water when it's cooked and cool it to room temp before refrigerating; it it's left sitting in the water until that gets cold it will overcook.

thanks all who helped with my query. boiled the beef last night. 30 mins for each pound. yummy !!! it wont last the day . Merry Christmas to all

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I know this thread is from last year but doesanyone know where I can get saltpeter to make my dry cure mix for Spiced Beef. Is the saltpeter just to keep the colour or does it play another role in the process. I'm working off a Bord Bia recipe http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/beef/pages/traditionaldryspicedbeef.aspx but I would be surprised if they were abvle to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My mum puts the spiced beef into a small clean pillowcase and ties it up with string (like you do with bacon) before cooking. This stops the cooking water washing too much of the spice off while it is simmering. She takes the cloth off after it is cold, again to keep as much of the spice intact as possible. AFAIK, the timing is 30mins/lb + 30mins; start timing from when the water reaches simmering, not when you put it on in the cold water at the start. Also, take it out of the water when it's cooked and cool it to room temp before refrigerating; it it's left sitting in the water until that gets cold it will overcook.

This is how i have learned to do it too over the years. Probably the best way with the most succulent results

/runs downstairs to cut another slice before bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

One of the butchers told me not to take it out of the vacuum packed plastic bag when boiling it, so it'll keep all the spices nicely packed in!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Usually ge the spiced beef and ham cooked, the turkey uncooked and after a lash o pints christmas eve head back home for ham and spiced beef sandwiches....imagine my poor mothers surprise when she cut into a raw spiced beef at 12 o clock christmas eve night last year....

And boiling it makes the house smell unreal too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnthonyEagn

Don't roast it, place in a large casserole dish, cover with water & cook in a low oven 140C for about 5 hours (2kg joint), leave to cool in cooking liquid for 3 hours then roll tightly in clingfilm and store in fridge. I'll have mine thinly sl;iced with apple & Parmesan crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

hi all
    for the 1st time , this year i have bought spiced beef but have no idea how to cook it ! any help would be appreciated.
    thanks... ho ho ho

you could easily start a fight in Cork's english market by asking the wrong stall holders about how to cook the spiced beef. There are many ways to cook a piece of meat but differences of opinion on spiced beef preparation can draw out much swearing and fist shaking. Good to see the arguments from a safe distance though!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

:Dthink you get it in pharmacy. I remember boiling it in guinness well at least guinness in to water. Added carrots, and I think Juniper berries, mayb e a bit confused it ws a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

For tender succulent spiced beef simply -
    Put the beef and all the spice into a large pot of cold water NEVER COOK IN THE BAG
    Allow 1 inch cover of water above the meat ... bring to the boil
    As soon as its boiling reduce to a half heat ... a simmer is what you want ... time it from now
    allow 20 minutes per lb weight and 20 extra (ex: 4 lb is 100 minutes simmering)
    Once finished cooking turn off the heat and allow the meat to rest in the water for a minimum 30 minutes but i always give it an hour...this keeps it super juicy and makes the spices stick to the joint... remove, cool & cut or fridge ...
    i used to leave it in the water over night but i found that it feel apart from overcooking

best place for spiced beef ?? O Mahonys & Durcans in the market for sure; McCarthys in kanturk if your out that way; Bresnans in douglas is my personal favourite ... always great and superb west cork ham too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Any recommendations what to serve it with? Have a lovely piece out there now cooling. Would be lovely in crusty bread too, but with what?

Looks WONDERFUL ! Cant wait for Christmas now . I love the spiced beef cold , best with fresh white bread and some chutney / chilli jam . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

My man...

Boil for one hour, after the hour pour in some beamish into the boiled water leave to boil take out your beef, don't throw away the water, use that as your water for your gravy,, the. Nicest gravy you will ever taste,

Best time to have spice beef coming home langers and making a sandwich with a can of coke

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Well, this Spiced Beef malarky sounds good, never had it.. I'm goin on the hunt for it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Maybe a stupid question but i just seen this is in the Cork city Forum. Is this only sold the English Market or would any butchers have it.
    Cheers.

ah, nevermind. The local butcher has it. Starving now at the thoughts of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Got a big chunk of spiced brisket in Bresnan's in Douglas for half price. 4 lbs for only 6euro ... SB. pickle & salad cream sandwiches for lunch this week ... HEAVEN

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I saw this recipe online and thought it look lovely. http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887324662404578332351474044828?mg=reno64-wsj

I bought a lovely 4lb piece of brisket today and when I asked the butcher to roll it for me he said that I shouldn't roll for the curing process but the recipe says I should! Confused?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lesleymac

With regards to cooking the spiced beef, could you do it in a slow cooker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

lesleymac wrote: »
    With regards to cooking the spiced beef, could you do it in a slow cooker?

YES!! I do it for both spiced and corned beef. Heaven....:D I put mine in the slow cooker, set the temp to low, and leave it cooking overnight. By the time you get up, it'll be nicely cooked. Leave to rest in the water for half an hour, then let it rest on the plate covered with a damp tea towel for another couple of hours.

• Advertisement

The slow cooker sounds interesting , just wondering do you totally cover the beef in water ?

Advertisement