Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spiced beef

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

About 2cm over the top of the beef. Set the cooker to low. I usually turn mine on just as I'm going to bed anytime between midnight-1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I remember boiling it in guinness well at least guinness in to water.

I know this is an old post but this needs to be said lol
    Anyone who puts guinness into spiced beef, regardless of username needs to be tarred and feathered. Its murphys or beamish or just plain water. You cant be putting that black sh1te from the pale into a good honest Corkonian xmas joint of meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Its basically silverside of beef. I am sure the slow cooker would do a good job. The trouble, as I would see it is that you need to get it out of the slow cooker before it is too soft to cut.

I have mine on at the moment, starting with the butcher's advice of 2.5 hrs for a 4lb joint, ie a half hour a pound plus a half hour. I expect it will be fairly tough, in which case I will give it longer.

Incidentally, if you are going to eat it cold, overcooking is less of a problem as it firms up.

The Bord Bia 5 hr oven method is standard for slow roasting beef, you need to be sure of your oven temp. I havent tried it for that reason.

Guinness is essential, dont mind those folk from Cork, they have a well justified inferiority complex!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Omg... Someone from outside Cork giving advice on spiced beef... Feck off... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

hbonbr wrote: »
    Its basically silverside of beef.
    It's topside, but close enough.

Guinness is essential, dont mind those folk from Cork, they have a well justified inferiority complex!
    Adding alcohol to such a lean piece of meat will not do a thing for it, except dry it out further, so it's far from essential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

pwurple wrote: »
    It's topside, but close enough.

Adding alcohol to such a lean piece of meat will not do a thing for it, except dry it out further, so it's far from essential.

I agree. All I do is chuck in a bouquet garni, and off I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

TBoneMan wrote: »
    For tender succulent spiced beef simply -
    Put the beef and all the spice into a large pot of cold water NEVER COOK IN THE BAG
    Allow 1 inch cover of water above the meat ... bring to the boil
    As soon as its boiling reduce to a half heat ... a simmer is what you want ... time it from now
    allow 20 minutes per lb weight and 20 extra (ex: 4 lb is 100 minutes simmering)
    Once finished cooking turn off the heat and allow the meat to rest in the water for a minimum 30 minutes but i always give it an hour...this keeps it super juicy and makes the spices stick to the joint... remove, cool & cut or fridge ...
    i used to leave it in the water over night but i found that it feel apart from overcooking

best place for spiced beef ?? O Mahonys & Durcans in the market for sure; McCarthys in kanturk if your out that way; Bresnans in douglas is my personal favourite ... always great and superb west cork ham too

On my third batch this year from bresnans...absolutely superb...a friend of mine even brought some to Kazakhstan with them :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Hi all, I cooked spiced beef for the first time this year and sadly, it came out dry and overcooked. I think I know why but was hoping for the opinions of more experienced cooks when it comes to spiced beef.

It was 1.374kg, and I gave it 30 mins per lb + 30 minutes after turning it down to a simmer, so that was two hours total. Problem was, I was cooking it in my parents-in-law's house and wasn't quite used to their gas stove as I have an electric hob myself. I put it at what seemed to be a simmer when I walked away but when I checked on it an hour, it was actually slightly greater than a simmer. It wasn't boiling but the water was definitely more agitated than for a simmer. So I made sure it was on simmer for the last hour but still... overcooked! The cooking method was wrapping it in muslin and covering in water.

I'm bringing more to my own folks today so I get another crack at cooking it and I don't want to ruin another nice joint of meat! And my family love their food whereas my huz's family are more a 'food is fuel' type family so it's especially important for me to get it right this time, though I would have liked to get it right both times. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Maybe a bit late but, I cook it sous vide @56.5c for 18hrs. If you had access to sous vide kit? Very succulent if I do say so myself! :)

Maybe a bit late but, I cook it sous vide @56.5c for 18hrs. If you had access to sous vide kit? Very succulent if I do say so myself! :)

Sadly, no I don't! :)

• Advertisement

My piece was 1.8kgs and I popped it in the slow cooker on low for 10hours. It was too long tho and it fell in 2 when I lifted it out. 8 hours would probably have been perfect.
    It tasted good tho, nice and tender and it was all eaten over a few days.
    A slow cooker can be gotten for less than €20, a great investment, especially for any 9-5 worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

never had spiced beef that I ever enjoyed but this looks spectacular and beautifully cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I put the joint in a pressure cooker with a decent glass of white wine, bay leaves, a little bit of brown sugar and top with water. Seal the pressure cooker and cook under pressure for about 50 mins ( depending on size). Do not open the pressure cooker straights away, and leave the meat to cool in the water a bit before taking out.

It always turns out tender and perfect this way. I cooked two joints so far this Christmas, both bought from O'Mahonys in the English Market. One was traditional beef topside and the second was a piece of spiced buffalo from Lynch's herd in Kilnamartyra.

Are you guys cutting it that thickly normally? I cut mine more like wafer thin shavings...

I tend to cut quite thin when it's cold/cool. If I'm serving it as a main course for dinner, then I cut a little thicker, but not chunky.

Anyone any tips for a normal stove top? I have no pressure cooker or slow cooker! Basic tools only! :D

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Anyone any tips for a normal stove top? I have no pressure cooker or slow cooker! Basic tools only! :D

I just use a saucepan on an ordinary hob... same method as my parents and grandparents ,none of this fancy schtuff. ;).

Saucepan, with plenty of cold water in it and the spice beef. Pot should be big enough to cover the beef with the water and not splash all over your hob.

Bring up to simmering point and time it from that point on. I usually do it for 25-30 minutes per pound (the 30 is if it's a big piece), then turn off the heat and let it go completely cold in the water.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've only cooked it twice, being a blow in!

As above, good deep pot, cover it in cold water and bring to the boil.
    Once boiling turn down to a low simmer, 30 mins/pound. Plus 30 mins
    I did a 3lb piece this Christmas, had it simmer for 2 hours and then left it to cool in the water for an hour.

Took it out then and left to cool.
    It was a bit brittle at that point but cooled quite firm after.

Brought it up home to Meath for many sandwiches, very well received. :D

Will pick up another bit next week as it will be sold off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

dudara wrote: »
    I put the joint in a pressure cooker with a decent glass of white wine, bay leaves, a little bit of brown sugar and top with water. Seal the pressure cooker and cook under pressure for about 50 mins ( depending on size). Do not open the pressure cooker straights away, and leave the meat to cool in the water a bit before taking out.

It always turns out tender and perfect this way. I cooked two joints so far this Christmas, both bought from O'Mahonys in the English Market. One was traditional beef topside and the second was a piece of spiced buffalo from Lynch's herd in Kilnamartyra.

How did the buffalo turn out in comparison to beef, it being very lean? BTW, they're doing farm sales of buffalo meat now.

pwurple wrote: »
    I just use a saucepan on an ordinary hob... same method as my parents and grandparents ,none of this fancy schtuff. ;).

Saucepan, with plenty of cold water in it and the spice beef. Pot should be big enough to cover the beef with the water and not splash all over your hob.

Bring up to simmering point and time it from that point on. I usually do it for 25-30 minutes per pound (the 30 is if it's a big piece), then turn off the heat and let it go completely cold in the water.

This is what I did, reduced it to 25 minutes per lb at a simmer. Came out much better this time but I'm going to say something possibly sacrilegious now - I've realised I'm not that keen on spiced beef. Nobody in either family was wowed by it so I don't see it being adopted into either west of Ireland family's Christmas tradition! I find it fine, but that's all.

• Advertisement

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    This is what I did, reduced it to 25 minutes per lb at a simmer. Came out much better this time but I'm going to say something possibly sacrilegious now - I've realised I'm not that keen on spiced beef. Nobody in either family was wowed by it so I don't see it being adopted into either west of Ireland family's Christmas tradition! I find it fine, but that's all.

Self moding I know but........
    I call for a lifetime ban from the cork forum.

How did the buffalo turn out in comparison to beef, it being very lean? BTW, they're doing farm sales of buffalo meat now.

The piece I got seemed to be more brisket than topisidw and I also gave it a bit too long in the pressure cooker. It held together but shredded very easily. It was delicious though, might actually even prefer it. I've had buffalo steaks from Lynch's before and it's very nice meat.

.red. wrote: »

Yes, I fear a lynching! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

This year I bought my spiced beef from Aldi. Already cooked and vacuum packed. Really fab and will definitely buy it again next year , as far as I remember it cost about 15 euro for the piece.

.red. wrote: »

Oh my gawd, I actually thought this thread was in the Food forum, I found it through the search facility. Oops! :o :pac:

Advertisement