Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28'' or 32'' TV?

• 04-12-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hey just wondering what the best price is anyone seen on a 28'' or 32'' TV?
    Planning on buying one in the next week or so just don't want to spend a fortune.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

There are no 28" tvs available in lcd anymore, you're stuck with a 32", around 350€ seems to get you a decent one at the moment, have you considered waiting until the sales after christmas? Should be decent ones for around 300€ then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

komplett have a nice 32" Samsung for roughly 330..
    Cant remember the exact figure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tiesto wrote: »
    komplett have a nice 32" Samsung for roughly 330..
    Cant remember the exact figure..
    It was €386

Found this @ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105
    The best value for money at the moment would be the LG 32LH2000 which is currently priced at £329.95 / 369.99 Euro.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&SUB=44&ProductID=938

There are some others which are slightly cheaper but they would need collected form the Belfast Store as they are listed on the UK website as instore only purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Anyone know if you could tune RTE in on this tv?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/154997

Its says that it has UHF/VHF tuners on the ebuyer website so yes it will work here with normal RTE Analogue but not DTT, or i highly suspect not anyway. Also be aware that Foenn and Hirsch, despite the Scandinavian sounding name are ebuyers own brand.

A 32" LG(this one) or Samsung(this one) that would cost nearer to 380-400€ here would pick up RTE DTT when its launched, and be a better quality tv most likely.

If you dont want anything too fancy and can save a few bob, i'm sure that ebuyer one would be fine, check what the company are like with regard to returns if it did go wrong, that can be hassle compared to just buying in a shop here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Powercity have good deals at the mo, and for €79 extra you get the 3 year extended warranty. I'd suggest you avoid LG tho, countless returns on them everywhere due to dead pixels and ppl haven't even got 24hrs out of some of them till they were just left with a black screen. Yes I know ppl are gonna jump in and defend them but it's kinda pot luck with them.

Also have a look at Currys, think they have the UK vat rate at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Forgot I had even started this thread! I never even knew they stopped selling them in 28''. I'm going to be heading Newry in a week or 2 I'll have a gander up there and if i don't see anything I'll wait for the sales. I also read somewhere that an mpeg-4 tuner is something to look for in a TV these days what exactly is this?

Cudders wrote: »
    Forgot I had even started this thread! I never even knew they stopped selling them in 28''. I'm going to be heading Newry in a week or 2 I'll have a gander up there and if i don't see anything I'll wait for the sales. I also read somewhere that an mpeg-4 tuner is something to look for in a TV these days what exactly is this?

An mpeg4 tuner is indeed something to look out for, and the good news is that there more plentiful than ever.An mepg4 tuner will allow you to use a tv to tune into RTE DTT, digital terrestrial tv, without an external DTT set top box, saving you electricity and money. Basically the Irish version of freeview, it hasnt launched yet but hopefully, it will next year. There are however trials running in certain parts of the country, I take advantage of them myself at home and theyre great, give great picture quality even on a big flat screen telly! Have a look at the boards terrestrial forum for everything you need to know

In terms of 2009 ranges by the main manufacturers, LG and Samsung's 2009 sets all have mpeg4 tuners. For Sony, they're V and W ranges do but theyre entry level S range dont. As for Panasonic, if you were to get a UK set, it wont work with DTT but and Irish sets will. As for the others, not so sure so you may want to look it up before you go shopping.

You say you're headin to newry? Then Argos and Currys should be your best bets, luckily you can check their prices on their websites before you travel, save you having to make two trips!:)

Advertisement